Buenos Aires: Earliest flight from AEP airport

johnnyswitzerland

Booked on early 2022 HAL 14-Day South America Passage ending in Buenos Aires.  Hoping it goes!!!

We are planning to head to Iguazu Falls at the end of the trip and would like to understand the disembarkation process, since – unlike any of our previous cruises – this one arrives in Buenos Aires the day before disembarkation.  Does anyone who's done a similar itinerary have feedback on how early we can safely fly out of AEP airport?

AEP, the small airport with nonstop flights to IGR, is quite close to the cruise terminal, and it's recommended to arrive two hours prior to departure, as opposed to the recommended three hours at EZE, the major international airport.  So transport and airport time should be less than typical, but what about actually getting off the ship?  Because we arrive in BA the day before, it seems like we can count on the ship not being late or cleared late, but will we have already been processed through customs/passport control?  The ship is basically our hotel the last night, so is disembarkation different?  Or is it basically the usual?

Can we reasonably expect to make an 11 a.m. flight from AEP if we opt to walk off with our bags?  Earlier?  Seems like it ought to be possible.  Flights are frequent though, so should we choose a later departure?

All info and suggestions welcome!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

Can we reasonably expect to make an 11 a.m. flight from AEP if we opt to walk off with our bags?  Earlier?  Seems like it ought to be possible.  Flights are frequent though, so should we choose a later departure?

So are you saying that you'll have two days and one night in BA? If so, would you be able to disembark that first day rather than the second? Then grab a hotel for the night and get to the airport first thing. Or even fly out that first day. We adore BA so wouldn't want to miss even a little exploring. Also the BA cruise terminal is out with the cargo ships and you can't walk out. I don't know if the shuttles run all the time. I would guess they do but HAL should be able to advise. We went to Iguazu over 30 years ago and it is stunning. Will you be on the Brazilian side, which btw, no longer requires US citizens to have visas?  We stayed at Hotel de Cataratas but it'w owned now by the Belmond Group so it's likely quite expensive. But it's right there at the falls so we were there three times. We didn't feel that we needed any more than the one night. Anyway, have a great time.

Thanks for the quick reply, @clo!

Yes, we will have one day and one night in BA on the ship before disembarking.  We do want to spend day one there exploring BA, so that's why we prefer to fly to Iguazu on disembarkation day.  And, yes, we're looking at staying at the Belmond (on the Brazil side) as you suggest.  Right now, we're trying to determine the best flights as well as the best transport option from IGR airport to to and from the hotel, with stops at the falls, so we can make sure we experience both sides of the park.  We were concerned that the border crossing might make transfers complex, so have reached out to the Belmond concierge for more info.

1 minute ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

Thanks for the quick reply, @clo!

Yes, we will have one day and one night in BA on the ship before disembarking.  We do want to spend day one there exploring BA, so that's why we prefer to fly to Iguazu on disembarkation day.  And, yes, we're looking at staying at the Belmond (on the Brazil side) as you suggest.  Right now, we're trying to determine the best flights as well as the best transport option from IGR airport to to and from the hotel, with stops at the falls, so we can make sure we experience both sides of the park.  We were concerned that the border crossing might make transfers complex, so have reached out to the Belmond concierge for more info.

I was doing some reading here and have to say that the Argentinian side sure sounds like it's got way more to do.

We went to Iguazu Falls for three nights after a South America Cruise in February 2020.  (Yes - We got home on March 6 just before the world shut down.)  We stayed at the Gran Melia right in Iguazu Falls Park.  We took a day trip to the Brazil side.  The hotel arranged a private driver who walked us through immigration both ways (we do not speak much Spanish.)  After exploring both the Argentina and Brazil side I would recommend the Gran Melia.  There is much more to do with easy access on the Argentina side.  You can do the whole Brazil side (with the help of the busses) in one day.

Also, flying into the Brazil side was a little more complicated.  (We originally considered staying overnight at the Belmond and then two nights at the Gran Melia.)

We had the hotel arrange the transportation from the airport to the hotel (and return).  It was very reasonable and reliable.

The flight from BA to Iguazu Falls was very easy.  If you can, have the cruise line arrange your transportation from the ship to AEP.

We joined the Gran Melia rewards club which immediately gave us 2,000 rewards points, which we used to reduce the price of the rooms.  If you can, get a falls view, it is spectacular.  (Breakfast was included and it was huge.)  Dinners ran about $20 and were huge.  The second and third night my husband and I split a dinner and I ordered an extra salad/soup for myself.

If you are spending a day in BA and plan on doing any shopping, the Galerías Pacífico in Puerto Madero had some great leather shops.  When we return in January 2022 for our Antarctica cruise I am bringing an empty duffle bag to shop at El Boyero ( www.elboyero.com ).

It is about an hour drive from AEP to EZE.  (You may be able to fly from Iguazu Falls directly to EZE.)

DSC00061.JPG

9 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

If you are spending a day in BA and plan on doing any shopping, the Galerías Pacífico in Puerto Madero had some great leather shops.  When we return in January 2022 for our Antarctica cruise I am bringing an empty duffle bag to shop at El Boyero ( www.elboyero.com ).

Thanks so much for the tip on shopping in BsAs! It’s been about 20 years since I’ve been there, and I can’t remember where my friends took us, but we binged on shoes and purses! I’ll be back (fingers crossed!) in January 2022 with lots of room in my suitcase!

To answer your question about the earliest flight out of AEP, we flew at 8:10AM (Aerolineas 2724).  You will be coming from your ship?  We had a pickup at our Sheraton hotel at 5:10AM which was an early start but worth it.  We paid $45 for 4 of us.  We came back to BA on the latest flight giving us basically 2 days in Iguazu with only one night lodging which we spent at Gran Melia.  We saw only the Argentinian side. It was the highlight of our trip.

PhD-iva..

If you plan on staying a night or two in Santiago, I highly recommend De Blasis B & B..You can find them on face book, or on hotels.com..I stayed there last year, right when the pandemic was called.  They are in a great location, and very friendly.  If you have any questions, I would be glad to help.

• 1 month later...

We also chose to disembark on arrival day.  No rush,  Enjoy breakfast and walk off by ourselves with no crowds.  We stayed the night at a hotel and caught the early flight to Iguazu.  Also left our big luggage and only took our carry on to Iguazu.  Stayed at the Melia 2 nights and wish I would have stayed 3.  Had a falls view room.  Beautiful and you are in the park and can get on the trails in the morning before all of the day trippers coming on the buses.  We then flew back to our BA hotel and spent another 2 nights before flying home.  IMHO there is much more to see and do on the Argentine side.  If you are only going to be there once in your life, then do it right and enjoy the experience.  Someone told me that after seeing Antarctica, Iguazu would be the cherry on the sundae.  They were right.   Buy your Iguazu air tickets when they first go on sale.  Most flights do sell out.

Thanks, @teacherman.  Sounds like Iguazu will be spectacular.  We're thinking we'll do afternoon and overnight on the Brazil side but cross back over to the Argentine side for the entire second day, before returning to BA that evening.  Thank you, also, for the tip about booking flights.  Will look into that.

Still hoping this trip goes.  Unfortunately, several of the preceding sailings — including the cruise that brings Westerdam to South America — have already canceled.  So maybe not looking good for the season.  But we shall see.