RCL bans crew members from India temporarily

1 hour ago, soloadventurer said:

Pfizer can be given within 2wks I believe (which is the company advice) UK have strung it out for 10wks to give more 1st shots

The wait is 3 weeks for Pfizer.    that is what we received.    I believe it is the same for moderna.

1 hour ago, soloadventurer said:

Very simple let RCCL vaccinate all crew members   💉 

Royal is doing the right thing, I don't think anyone from India should be traveling anywhere right now.    Wouldn't be fair to other travelers they come into contact with during their travels.    Imagine how damaging that news story could be to Royal.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Royal is doing the right thing, I don't think anyone from India should be traveling anywhere right now.    Wouldn't be fair to other travelers they come into contact with during their travels.    Imagine how damaging that news story could be to Royal.

I agree.  What Royal is doing makes perfect sense under the circumstances.  The UK and Canada banned travelers from India last week, except their own citizens who must be quarantined after return.  I expect the US will follow with a ban shortly as well.  It will be impractical for Royal to staff ships with Indian crew going forward unless the situation changes.  

Edited by harkinmr

27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

With supply catching up with  demand in the USA, corporations like RC may soon be able to buy vaccines in bulk

Not likely.  We have Canada, Mexico, Central America and many developing nations around the world begging us for vaccine.  We will give our excess vaccines to those in need, not sell it to private international corporations for their international crew.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Not likely.  We have Canada, Mexico, Central America and many developing nations around the world begging us for vaccine.  We will give our excess vaccines to those in need, not sell it to private international corporations for their international crew.

Based on Joe Biden's refusal to help India, I'm not sure the above is true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

What the USA does with their excess vaccine (if there is any) is irrelevant;  the manufacturers will soon be opening the company store to private entities 

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Based on Joe Biden's refusal to help India, I'm not sure the above is true.

No one, including Biden, said that any out-of-country distribution would occur right away.  It will be a process over months to come.

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

What the USA does with their excess vaccine (if there is any) is irrelevant;  the manufacturers will soon be opening the company store to private entities 

Fine.  But the poster was implying the US provide the vaccines from our supply.  If the lines can get it on their own from the manufacturers then more power to them.

17 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

No one, including Biden, said that any out-of-country distribution would occur right away.  It will be a process over months to come.

India didn't want vaccines, but wants raw materials to make their own vaccines.

Plus the USA has already given doses (AZ vaccines that the USA will never use) to Mexico and Canada

24 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

India didn't want vaccines, but wants raw materials to make their own vaccines.

Plus the USA has already given doses (AZ vaccines that the USA will never use) to Mexico and Canada

What is your point?  Raw materials for vaccines being produced for the US?  Why would we give those away right now?  Our vaccines are still being produced.  Yes, we did give a few million doses to Canada and Mexico, but that is not anywhere near what they or any other country needs or wants.

How do you know what amount the US will never use?  We are certainly no where near being able to determine that.  There may be manufacturing and delivery issues in the future.  We will need to have reserves in stock.  No quantified excess to be given away or sold to any private international corporation at this point.

If the cruise line can get it elsewhere on a private purchase basis then they should go for it.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

Another reason for not allowing Indian crewmembers is that no one (including RCI) knows what the travel situation will be in six months when the crewmembers have fulfilled their tour. Would they be able to get back home? Remember what a disaster crew repatriation was, though much of it was self-inflicted by the cruise lines. No one wants any repeat of that fiasco.

One way to prevent it to try to "crystal-ball" the future a bit by what's going on now. Right now, as an understatement, India is a COVID hotspot. And it looks to get worse before it gets better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CruiseMrB said:

Another reason for not allowing Indian crewmembers is that no one (including RCI) knows what the travel situation will be in six months when the crewmembers have fulfilled their tour. Would they be able to get back home? Remember what a disaster crew repatriation was, though much of it was self-inflicted by the cruise lines. No one wants any repeat of that fiasco

While it's highly unlikely there will still be issues in 6 months, this explanation makes the most sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I guess they don't want to take the chance of someone traveling from India and spreading to others while traveling plus the higher chance of bringing on board which could further delay their start up.    Make sense to me.      

Not worth the risk with how high the cases are in India right now.   

Plus they say you should not get vaccinated for 90 days if you just recovered from covid.    

I get what you're saying and it makes sense from their perspective.  I feel for those who are in route or just arrived in St Maarten.  

9 hours ago, dswallow said:

I suspect they're just concerned about bringing in people who may be a lot more likely to be carrying an infection into the group that is being quarantined and vaccinated. I think it'll be less of an issue once they reach the staffing they need to then loosen things up a bit on the group they'll be processing/quarantining/vaccinating.

Yes that seems reasonable from their perspective but lousy for the Indian crew -- especially the ones whose hopes were dashed.

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I get what you're saying and it makes sense from their perspective.  I feel for those who are in route or just arrived in St Maarten.  

Yes,  I feel for those people too.    I wonder how they will handle them.  

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow I just saw they had 350K new cases yesterday alone.     That's crazy.    Their cases continue to rise every day.   Hopefully they are able to get a handle on this immediately.    

Not good news and until the entire world gets a handle on this, we are not as they say, out of the woods yet -- especially for cruising. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow I just saw they had 350K new cases yesterday alone.     That's crazy.    Their cases continue to rise every day.   Hopefully they are able to get a handle on this immediately.    

It is an absolutely horrific situation there.  I saw a video from Reuters this morning of mass cremations in village centers.  Victims of all ages from the very young to the very old.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

While it's highly unlikely there will still be issues in 6 months, this explanation makes the most sense.

You seem to forget that there is a whole wide world beyond our borders.

The US does not live in a bubble unlike what some would like US citizens to think.  What happens in the world can and will affect the United States. We are a global population. There are so many countries, especially in the developing world, that are way behind in vaccines and covid control. Take India for instance. Their cases are doubling every day and they have only vaccinated 1.7% of the population last time I saw statistics a couple of weeks ago.

Until the world is at herd immunity, there will be ongoing issues. We will be lucky if the US is at herd immunity in 6 months let alone the rest of the world.

Although I am beginning to believe that you and Ace have a lot in common that you like to post crazy things that you know will get a reaction.

Edited by cured
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cured said:

You seem to forget that there is a whole wide world beyond our borders.

The US does not live in a bubble unlike what some would like US citizens to think.  What happens in the world can and will affect the United States. We are a global population. There are so many countries, especially in the developing world, that are way behind in vaccines and covid control. Take India for instance. Their cases are doubling every day and they have only vaccinated 1.7% of the population last time I saw statistics a couple of weeks ago.

Until the world is at herd immunity, there will be ongoing issues. We will be lucky if the US is at herd immunity in 6 months let alone the rest of the world.

Although I am beginning to believe that you and Ace have a lot in common that you like to post crazy things that you know will get a reaction.

I meant in India. No country has had extended peak case loads more than a couple months.