RCL bans crew members from India temporarily

1 minute ago, cured said:

You seem to forget that there is a whole wide world beyond our borders.

The US does not live in a bubble unlike what some would like US citizens to think.  What happens in the world can and will affect the United States. We are a global population. There are so many countries, especially in the developing world, that are way behind in vaccines and covid control. Take India for instance. Their cases are doubling every day and they have only vaccinated 1.7% of the population last time I saw statistics a couple of weeks ago.

Until the world is at herd immunity, there will be ongoing issues. We will be lucky if the US is at herd immunity in 6 months let alone the rest of the world.

Although I am beginning to believe that you and Ace have a lot in common that you like to post crazy things that you know will get a reaction.

I meant in India. No country has had extended peak case loads more than a couple months.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow I just saw they had 350K new cases yesterday alone.     That's crazy.    Their cases continue to rise every day.   Hopefully they are able to get a handle on this immediately.    

What is happening in India is a horrific humanitarian crisis and they need help badly, but 350K cases identified in one day clearly does not tell the whole story.  Remember India has over 4 times the population of the US, so the current rate of confirmed cases per capita in the two countries is not that different.  The US was confirming over 290,000 cases a day in early January and hovering around 62,000 per day now.  

I suspect the actual infection rate in India is much higher and they simply don't have the medical resources to deal with this crisis.

Edited by notmyrealnameoremail
correction
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I meant in India. No country has had extended peak case loads more than a couple months.

You may want to look at Brazil. They have been on a steady rise since December and have only administered vaccines to 8.9% of their population.  

India has only vaccinated 1.7% of their population.

You cannot compare the statistics of rich countries to the ability to mitigate Covid in developing countries.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Royal is doing the right thing, I don't think anyone from India should be traveling anywhere right now.    Wouldn't be fair to other travelers they come into contact with during their travels.    

ITA to prevent situations like this:

"At least 53 passengers on a flight from New Delhi to Hong Kong have tested positive for COVID-19, authorities said on Tuesday (Apr 20), as the Chinese financial hub introduced an emergency ban on arrivals from India over a new wave of cases."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid-19-india-flight-hong-kong-53-test-positive-vistara-14657786

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Is that a technological issue particular to that country? In that they can't store it correctly on mass? They are running out of oxygen, we didn't get to that stage. We may or may not have come close to running out of beds perhaps but not oxygen.

No. They’re not even evaluating either vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow I just saw they had 350K new cases yesterday alone.     That's crazy.    Their cases continue to rise every day.   Hopefully they are able to get a handle on this immediately.    

The US had a peak of about 313,310 new cases in one day and has a population of 330,000,000. India has a population of 1,400,000,000. On a per-100,000 basis, India has a long, long way to go before it gets to the craziness level the US had back in January.

Looking at it another way, 313,310 cases in one day in the US represents 0.0949% of the population. The current level in India of 350,000 cases represents 0.025% of the population. That would, in the US, represent a daily new case rate of 82,500.

The US had a daily new case rate of at least 82,500 every single day between October 28, 2020 and February 13, 2021.

When India has 1,328,600 new cases in one day, it will have reached the peak the US reached in its population.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dswallow said:

The US had a peak of about 313,310 new cases in one day and has a population of 330,000,000. India has a population of 1,400,000,000. On a per-100,000 basis, India has a long, long way to go before it gets to the craziness level the US had back in January.

Looking at it another way, 313,310 cases in one day in the US represents 0.0949% of the population. The current level in India of 350,000 cases represents 0.025% of the population. That would, in the US, represent a daily new case rate of 82,500.

The US had a daily new case rate of at least 82,500 every single day between October 28, 2020 and February 13, 2021.

When India has 1,328,600 new cases in one day, it will have reached the peak the US reached in its population.

And they are likely to achieve that in short order.  Like 'notmyrealnameoremail' said, the true story of infections is probably a significant multiple of the 300K+ daily cases reported.  They don't have anywhere near the testing capacity and medical resources that we do.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

When India has 1,328,600 new cases in one day, it will have reached the peak the US reached in its population

They are probably there now you know. The infection rate is probably far higher than has been announced. How many can't get tested?. Oxygen is not the only thing they are running out of you know. They are burning bodies as fast as they can but they can't keep up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They are probably there now you know. The infection rate is probably far higher than has been announced. How many can't get tested?. Oxygen is not the only thing they are running out of you know. They are burning bodies as fast as they can but they can't keep up.

I'm sure in the US it was also underreported, and as you may recall there were plenty of stories of refrigerated trucks being brought in as morgues and tents out in hospital parking lots and oxygen supplies running short.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dswallow said:

I'm sure in the US it was also underreported, and as you may recall there were plenty of stories of refrigerated trucks being brought in as morgues and tents out in hospital parking lots and oxygen supplies running short.

Ah, yes, the totally valid US to India comparisons.  India has had decades of under reporting deaths, from all causes, because in rural areas, they just perform the Hindu burial custom of cremation within 24 hours, and no one bothers to go to the provincial capital to report a death.  How many of the bodies in the US in tents and refrigerated containers do you think were not reported, whether they were reported as covid related or not?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

How many of the bodies in the US in tents and refrigerated containers do you think were not reported, whether they were reported as covid related or not?

Zero.  I think all deaths are reported in the US.

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Ah, yes, the totally valid US to India comparisons.  India has had decades of under reporting deaths, from all causes, because in rural areas, they just perform the Hindu burial custom of cremation within 24 hours, and no one bothers to go to the provincial capital to report a death.  How many of the bodies in the US in tents and refrigerated containers do you think were not reported, whether they were reported as covid related or not?

Simply compared to the population the numbers aren't as bad in India as some people are liking to say they are, at least to the extent in how they compare to the US number in the recent past, and likely how some of the same people weren't calling the numbers in the US bad. People forget that India has more than 4 times the population of the US. Even if you just ignore half the country, considering it backwards/third-world, it's still a huge difference to the US.

16 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Simply compared to the population the numbers aren't as bad in India as some people are liking to say they are, at least to the extent in how they compare to the US number in the recent past, and likely how some of the same people weren't calling the numbers in the US bad. People forget that India has more than 4 times the population of the US. Even if you just ignore half the country, considering it backwards/third-world, it's still a huge difference to the US.

SMH.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Third world,  2nd largest population in the world. Largest pharmaceutical manufacturing capacities in the world, including Covid vaccines. I would imagine those dying are of the lower caste. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dswallow said:

Wow, when you summarize the numbers US was really pretty bad off at our peak.  I knew we were bad, but not that bad off.   At least we didnt struggle with oxygen, etc etc etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, harkinmr said:

And they are likely to achieve that in short order.  Like 'notmyrealnameoremail' said, the true story of infections is probably a significant multiple of the 300K+ daily cases reported.  They don't have anywhere near the testing capacity and medical resources that we do.

Yes, that is very true.  there are many people suffering at their homes that probably havent even been tested plus the asymptomatic people that have no idea they have it.

9 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Honest question as I don't keep up, why does the percentage comparison matter, isn't the sheer number of cases in India more threatening?

To the media it sure is.

Considering the size of India is one third the size of the US, having 4 times the population means the country is far more densely populated. With less than 2% vaxxed, the huge numbers of cases in packed cities means the virus is far likelier to spread widely and quickly than it did here. I see nothing on the horizon to stop this before it kills many millions.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Considering the size of India is one third the size of the US, having 4 times the population means the country is far more densely populated. With less than 2% vaxxed, the huge numbers of cases in packed cities means the virus is far likelier to spread widely and quickly than it did here. I see nothing on the horizon to stop this before it kills many millions.

wow, never knew that, had to go look it up.  sure enough.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I thought this (from the daily NYT newsletter, re: India) was interesting: 

By mid-March, though, the virus was beginning to reassert itself. A major factor appears to be that many people who previously had mild or asymptomatic cases of Covid remained vulnerable to it. (A recent academic study, done in China, suggests that mild cases confer only limited immunity.) The emergence of contagious new variants is playing a role, too. This combination — less immunity than many people thought, new variants and a resumption of activities — seems to have led to multiple superspreader events, Dr. Jennifer Lighter of New York University told me.

And makes me a little concerned for the people here who won’t/can’t get vaccinated. 😔

Edited by chele68
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, chele68 said:

And makes me a little concerned for the people here who won’t/can’t get vaccinated

Welcome to CC, where discussing non-cruise topics is the norm, for now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chele68 said:

I thought this (from the daily NYT newsletter, re: India) was interesting: 

By mid-March, though, the virus was beginning to reassert itself. A major factor appears to be that many people who previously had mild or asymptomatic cases of Covid remained vulnerable to it. (A recent academic study, done in China, suggests that mild cases confer only limited immunity.) The emergence of contagious new variants is playing a role, too. This combination — less immunity than many people thought, new variants and a resumption of activities — seems to have led to multiple superspreader events, Dr. Jennifer Lighter of New York University told me.

And makes me a little concerned for the people here who won’t/can’t get vaccinated. 😔

Welcome to CC and thanks for posting that article on what may be going on in India.  It’s really distressing what’s happening there. 

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC, where discussing non-cruise topics is the norm, for now.

Actually, the new member’s post is very on-topic given that it’s a thread about Indian crew and why they’re not being allowed on cruise ships.  As far as I can see, everyone here seems to insert their own thoughts and concerns about the virus and vaccines. When the virus and vaccines stop impacting cruising, then the topics will change and we will all be glad for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, dswallow said:

The more you test , the more you will find.  How much is India testing?  Around 200,000 per 1 million... Their numbers are way higher than what is being reported (much like ours) - you aren't catching asymptomatic folks.