Vaccinated U.S. tourists allowed in Europe

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/world/europe/american-travel-to-europe.html

Just  saws this on another board.  Article states due to the rapid roll out of vaccines in the US, the bloc will allow vaccinated US citizens  to enter for non  essentials reasons.  No time line and we will have to see how the different member states react. 

It’s  a start 

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Will be interesting to see what they come up with for documenting vaccination status.

That’s what I really want to know. Since we in the States don’t have an electronic vaccine record system, how will we get our CDC cards translated to the EU’s vaccine passport system? 

1 hour ago, ChangeOrder said:

That’s what I really want to know. Since we in the States don’t have an electronic vaccine record system, how will we get our CDC cards translated to the EU’s vaccine passport system? 

There's an electronic system for those vaccinated in New York at least:

https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/excelsior-pass

Whether the EU would accept that, I have no idea. I think there are private parties developing them too.

Another question I have regarding traveling to Europe has to do with the CDC.  If a country is still on the CDC list for No Travel, I have heard that the travel insurance companies will not cover travel.  Anyone heard this or know something to the contrary?

I take this news as, we are all going to find out real quick how good these vaccines really are. 
Just more data for opening up more things such as cruises ( crossing fingers).

38 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Another question I have regarding traveling to Europe has to do with the CDC.  If a country is still on the CDC list for No Travel, I have heard that the travel insurance companies will not cover travel.  Anyone heard this or know something to the contrary?

Good question.  Best answer, ask your insurance company.  But....

The Cruise /travel insurance board has a thread about this, Steve weighed in today.  

CDC has links to state’s Immunization Information System (IIS) and we securely received our records from CA which included our COVID-19 shots. Hopefully these state records will be widely accepted which has the same information handwritten on the CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/contacts-locate-records.html#C

2 minutes ago, hunt182644 said:

Perhaps this will help convince Canada to reopen the border.

Doubt it.  EU interviews with the NYT don’t much reflect the Canada/US situation.

Just read the discussion my Italian friends are having about this. Said they have moved to “yellow”, things are opening up, only vaccinated 70 year olds and up, so far in Tuscany region. 

13 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

There's an electronic system for those vaccinated in New York at least:

https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/excelsior-pass

Whether the EU would accept that, I have no idea. I think there are private parties developing them too.

Right, and my state has a site as well. Will other countries accept a state based website? Versus having an official USA site that may seem more official? This is what I hope to find out.

I really want to get some variety of private commercial apps that are accepted as valid vaccine proof for international travel. Those apps would import data from the various state websites to verify that the vaccine data is legit.

18 hours ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

Its the US Department of State, not the CDC, which has issued the "No Travel" warnings to over 80 countries, including many in Europe.  The US currently has a reciprocity "agreement" restricting tourism travel to the EU and similarly for EU citizens traveling to the US.  The EU statement suggesting that restrictions may be lifted on vaccinated US travelers is being considered really helps.  The US has not responded.  Of course surfaces at least two issues:  "proof" of vaccination and how to deal with the unvaccinated.  

Sincerely hope this works.  We are both vaccinated and would like to get back to Europe, sooner than later.  Today's announcement that vaccinated people are catching COVID-19 could have some impact on this...

• 3 weeks later...

I’m just hoping there’ll be reciprocity from the US side. The Irish government have lifted the mandatory hotel quarantine for vaccinated incoming travelers though they still “advise” self isolation. The self isolation has been around since the start and never been enforced. 
I have a cruise booked out of Puerto Rico for next year and it won’t be happening if the cdc still requires me to quarantine on arrival despite being vaccinated. My second vaccine dose is due in a couple of weeks. Ireland has just reached 2 millions vaccine doses delivered today with a quarter of those being second doses. We’re finally starting to catch up with the UK on roll out... all the asthmatics are getting vaccinated at the moment along with the over 55s.