Kids Club for 16 Year Olds and a 7 Year Old

Looking for info on the programs for the older kids on board - specifically the 16 year old age group. Looking at a Spring Break cruise next year with my 16 year step-daughter and possibly a friend of hers. My step-daughter is not super outgoing, but with a friend she knows may get involved a little more. She is very into art and crafts however. Do they have any of those kinds of activities for the older kids? If not, what else do they usually do with this age group? 

Also, it will be our daughter's first time on a cruise since she was 3 - she'll be 7, almost, by next Spring Break. She wasn't super into the kids club when she was 3. She tolerated it and seemed to enjoy it once she got there and got engaged. But I'm thinking now, she'll probably love it even more. Anything to know or expect with this age group's club activities. 

Thanks! 

The only tip I can give you is to get them there on the first day. Everyone is a little nervous on that first day but kids don't have the same hangups adults do and the activities are geared towards them getting involved and making fast friends. Going that first day is important as that is when a lot of them connect and start hanging out. The 7 year old will need to be signed in/out since they would be considered in the "stingrays". The older kids will be in club 02 and they can come and go freely. This will give you more info on the specific activities that the different programs that each offers. I've had kids at nearly every level and they have enjoyed the kids clubs immensely. 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1397/~/carnivals-youth-program

• Like 2

Kids Clubs are luck of the draw in our experience. They all have similar activities, but the difference is in the number of kids in the clubs and the attitude of the staff. Good staff will make sure your younger child loves Camp Ocean. They draw, do puzzles, play games, watch movies, and more. Highly recommend Night Owls as all of our kids have loved it.

My oldest has been in the Circle C group the last 2 and loves it, but he is a social butterfly (my younger son is introverted and has not enjoyed the club since his brother left). O2 during the day is usually just a few kids relaxing and hanging out, while at night they get busier and more energetic (basically teen night at the club).

There isn't much hands on activities with the kids after they leave Camp Ocean (Kids under 12), though there is some, but I think participation is low due to kids being able to freely roam the ship. 

If you want separation from you stepdaughter, a friend is probably a must (not that introverts can't make friends on cruises). No matter what there will be fun activities for her, but she may prefer a lot of the activities geared to adults/families rather than O2. The newer ships feature some additional activities that may interest her.

• Like 1

We have an only child and our last vacation was notice that she needs to have a place of her own or we  have to splurge to take a friend. This is why we decided to cruise. The teen club will give her something to do on her own and we can have our time without her at our hip. She makes friends easily and I expect that she will meet up with others quite easily. This will be good for us to have family time, she can have her own time, and we can each do our own things at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

We have an only child and our last vacation was notice that she needs to have a place of her own or we  have to splurge to take a friend. This is why we decided to cruise. The teen club will give her something to do on her own and we can have our time without her at our hip. She makes friends easily and I expect that she will meet up with others quite easily. This will be good for us to have family time, she can have her own time, and we can each do our own things at times.

I'm sure she will have a great time. My littlest one didn't like it the first time, he was a penguin and we took him there tired and he didn't want to go back for the rest of the cruise. The next cruise he was hesitant but tried it again and absolutely loved it. He still mentions it anytime Gloria Estefan 'Conga' comes on. We usually make the older ones eat breakfast and dinner with us and join us for any port disembarkations but other than that, they are usually hanging out with their friends eating ice cream, enjoying the fun areas on the ship, or hanging at the kids club.

I even got video of them dancing during a deck party and they would never do that with mom and dad but had zero issues dancing with their new friends. In fact, my oldest son still keeps in contact with a few of the boys he met on Panorama. They love cruising, pick it over every other vacation destinations (we've been to a lot), and will probably be lifelong cruisers. The kids club had a lot to do with this I'm sure.       

• Like 1

I always had a deal with my boys that they had to go on the first night. After that it was up to them. I rarely saw them😂. When they got to the teen club age we had to change out fining assignment to early instead of late because the teen club schedule. Anytime would work obviously but even my kids prefer assigned

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The only tip I can give you is to get them there on the first day. Everyone is a little nervous on that first day but kids don't have the same hangups adults do and the activities are geared towards them getting involved and making fast friends. Going that first day is important as that is when a lot of them connect and start hanging out. The 7 year old will need to be signed in/out since they would be considered in the "stingrays". The older kids will be in club 02 and they can come and go freely. This will give you more info on the specific activities that the different programs that each offers. I've had kids at nearly every level and they have enjoyed the kids clubs immensely. 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1397/~/carnivals-youth-program

Spot on advice! My son and I cruised together from the time he was almost-6 to almost-18, and the above is the exact advice I would give as well. Kids tend to form cliques very quickly, and if you wait past that first night your child could end up on the outside looking in, so to speak. Convince them to go that first night even if they say they don't want to. 🙂

I didn't start cruising on Carnival until after my son was in college and not able to join me, but we cruised a bunch together on both Disney and Royal. He loved the kids/teen clubs so much on both lines that if I hadn't insisted he have dinner with me every night, he'd have been happy if I dropped him off there on embarkation day and picked him up a week later, lol. He made friends over the voyages that he still keeps in touch with even now. 🙂

• Like 2