The Daily for Wednesday Apr 28, 2021

4 hours ago, Rowsby said:

We were on the Zaandam in early May 2018....and couldn't get into Tracy Arm (due to ice)....

Plan B was a beautiful trip down Endicott Arm....a gorgeous day....with a couple of bear sightings....:)

Until I saw your map....I couldn't remember the name of Endicott Arm.....thanks....!!!

Tracy Arm Map.jpg

My recollection is that Endicott Arm is advertised as pretty much a given if weather conditions are unfavorable for Tracy Arm.  I am not surprised that it is pretty close to an equal attraction.

Roy

• Like 5

@Quartzite Cruiser,  as others have said, your DH’s pictures are amazing. Please thank him and please post more. 
We are booked on the Auckland to Seattle cruise next March and it would be wonderful if there was an astronomer to speak and show us the stars.I can picture standing on deck and looking up in amazement.

We live near an area that bills itself as “The Lilac Capital of Ontario”. I love lilacs but we are a few weeks away from them blooming here.

This is the best thread on CC. Thank you all.

Deen

• Like 16

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily Rich.

Good days and good quote. Alas, no mate to kiss.

I like the meal and wine. I'll pass on the drink.

I've cruised in Alaska but I don't think to Tracy Arm Inlet. Thanks for the great pictures!

It's sunny and warm, but they are calling for thunderstorms, 60mph winds and perhaps hail later today. I need to move a couple of potted plants into the garage so they don't get pummelled.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

Oh my....those are strong winds!  Batten down the hatches and be safe!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh, your lilac is taking me back to the home where I grew up!  There was a small lilac tree/bush in the backyard and it always bloomed before May Day so we could make a bouquet of flowers for our Mother.  The scent was so fragrant.  I loved it!

Back in Michigan when I was growing up, we had a neighbor across the street that had a boundary row of huge lilac trees/bushes. All colors but mostly purple, I've always liked lilacs and the smell from their yard didn't hurt. They are no longer there, unfortunately.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

It took me awhile to get back to the computer and to find what I was looking for.  In honor or Astronomy Day,  I have a few pictures that DH took last fall and early this year when we were in Quartzsite.  I think I may have posted some of these before, but I don't have notes on which ones I posted several months ago; so I hope you enjoy them again.

There are many fascinating objects in the sky not only planets and constellations, but clouds of gas and dust, clusters, galaxies, the moon and nebulae.  We think the nebulae are the most interesting.

This is a double cluster in Perceus.

82550975_DoubleClusterinPerseus.thumb.jpg.838a36c8abe49b297437e916316fad71.jpg

An open cluster with an exploding star.

2048032063_OpenClusterwithExplodingStar-M46.thumb.jpg.7d4ac7f765e6b50c4a7d6300b2a19e8f.jpg

The Triangulum Galaxy

2066608246_TriangulumGalaxy.thumb.jpeg.0ea3870d1f1f11e011f78d23fe923151.jpeg

Now we come to the stars (excuse the pun) of the show, the nebulae.

The Horsehead nebula

20201210_233329.thumb.jpg.47d3c778bc036c71ad7d22e2e2c6ab64.jpg

The Bubble nebula

570988949_BubbleNebula.thumb.jpg.c2c1ec4021e2567b5fc137702261ac87.jpg

The Crescent nebula

1520467906_CrescentNebula.thumb.jpeg.31e50932ae6cee744315653db67139d5.jpeg

The Dumbbell nebula

1188299369_DumbbellNebula2.thumb.jpg.bbc52e284405f3164e08bb7123a09189.jpg

The Helix nebula

503796198_HelixNebula.thumb.jpg.17799973b661b15f55408148a42ee093.jpg

The North American nebula333167046_NorthAmericanNebula.thumb.jpg.563293df444c722f752f7522607b6022.jpg

The two veiled nebulae are illuminated by an exploding star which appears in the West Veiled nebula.

The East Veiled nebula.

341983228_EastVeilNebulaNGC6992.thumb.jpeg.c31a053e29041cdaacc10d41589f286d.jpeg

The West Veiled nebula

1684314906_WestVeilNebula(3).thumb.jpg.2afd93d07fd1f4cfc49b44393fee3095.jpg

Lenda

Absolutely spectacular.  Thanks for sharing these.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'll add my note of appreciation for Rich and all the other wonderful contributors to the Daily.  It really has made this last year more positive for me to have a group of interesting, funny, caring and talented people to connect with each day!  

Thank you!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
fixed
  • Like 8

@richwmnRich,  sincere thanks for your dedication to the "Daily', really appreciated.

Thanks to @rafinmdRoy for the daily lists and to everyone for the photos and humour.

@Quartzsite Cruiserthank you for sharing the amazing photos of the night skies.

It's a warmer day after two cooler days, sun making an appearance.

Take care everyone. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

IMG_5693.thumb.JPG.a4b874edd93aff3922bb7864e85de206.JPG

Edited 5 hours ago by Vict0riann

This is so beautiful!!  Reminds me of the huge lilac bush behind our house when I was a child in Colorado. The smell was intoxicating!  So glad you were able to keep the deer away so you can enjoy them. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Good evening everyone!  We are just home from our little getaway and Blue is happy as punch to be back home from the vet.  I had said that I was very sore from walking but realized last night that I was actually retaining fluid in my ankles and feet which was causing me to feel sore. All the restaurant food caught up with me. I will have to remember that for the future. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and the past two years and the beginning of year three!  Thank you for your lists Roy. 

We have been to Tracy Arm once on the Oosterdam 7 day round trip Seattle. I’ll look for pictures. 

Have a great evening everyone!!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good evening everyone!  We are just home from our little getaway and Blue is happy as punch to be back home from the vet.  I had said that I was very sore from walking but realized last night that I was actually retaining fluid in my ankles and feet which was causing me to feel sore. All the restaurant food caught up with me. I will have to remember that for the future. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and the past two years and the beginning of year three!  Thank you for your lists Roy. 

We have been to Tracy Arm once on the Oosterdam 7 day round trip Seattle. I’ll look for pictures. 

Have a great evening everyone!!

Welcome home! Glad you had a chance to escape. 

• Like 2