CDC to cruise industry: U.S. cruises could restart in mid-July

2 hours ago, Albinroo said:

...though I do wonder what that means for children...

Is there a hurry to get children on board?

Let's stick to the plan. Vax the adults. The kids are next, once the studies have been completed. They should be able to join us on the ships in 2022. Not so far off?

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Let's stick to the plan. Vax the adults. The kids are next, once the studies have been completed. They should be able to join us on the ships in 2022. Not so far off?

Quit being reasonable.

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

a quote from the given article, so children could sail but 5% seems skinny.  I would think the 5% is for folks with medical exemptions but that is just a wild guess.  

• Ships can bypass the required simulated test voyages carrying volunteers and jump to sailings with paying passengers if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

a quote from the given article, so children could sail but 5% seems skinny.  I would think the 5% is for folks with medical exemptions but that is just a wild guess.  

5% not vaccinated seems to me a set up for a disaster.  I think a lot of people won't be willing to cruise unless everyone is vaccinated!  I for one don't want my 7 day cruise to turn into a 21 day cruise to nowhere because of an outbreak.  I think the CDC is playing games!!!

• Like 3

While this does allow for bypassing some of the requirements of the CSO, if the pax and crew are vaccinated, it still requires that the cruise lines obtain the port agreements and provider contracts, which have been a stumbling block for the cruise lines to date.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

• Ships can bypass the required simulated test voyages carrying volunteers and jump to sailings with paying passengers if 98% of crew and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated.

For HAL, the 95% can easily cover the children not being vaccinated.  Not so for the other lines.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Hflors said:

5% not vaccinated seems to me a set up for a disaster.  I think a lot of people won't be willing to cruise unless everyone is vaccinated!  I for one don't want my 7 day cruise to turn into a 21 day cruise to nowhere because of an outbreak.  I think the CDC is playing games!!!

The whole point of other parts of the order are so that there are agreements in place to make sure a 7-day cruise does not turn into a 21-day cruise to no where. 

With the experience almost everywhere has with covid ports are not going to be nearly as scared to accept ships with a positive case onboard as they where when the outbreak 1st started. Our understanding of the virus has grown tremendously in the last year plus.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Well for me that has to bring children on board if I want to cruise myself, yes. However, the only real hurry for me are the FCCs, so as long as they can be moved forward until a time children can go then no complaints from me.

Also, I am assuming 95% is likely to mean 100%, since depending on how full a cruise is, the percentage would wary even if they set a specific number per ship to be 5%. 

2 hours ago, Hflors said:

No thanks! All you need is an outbreak of that 5%. Could be a disaster. 

• Like 2

I guess that the 5 percent could be anyone who isn’t vaccinated. That would include those that simply don’t want the vaccine, I guess. We have a reservation on Holland that includes two young children. I wonder how it will work for existing reservations if they currently have more than 5 percent of the passengers who cannot/ will not be vaccinated. 

34 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Canada has stated no cruises until February 2022.

David

Alaska's population looses a huge revenue stream with no  Alaska cruise season & 2 years in a row is   really bad  .Let us hope that some miracle happens  for both the  Alaska residents & the cruise industry .even a partial Alaska season is better than none

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

41 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

David

David

David you are almost a neighbor ,we  live in Encinitas .

.Have you taken cruises from our home port in SD ? We are booked on the Feb2 .2022 Holland america Koningsdam  ,16 day Hawaii  with a over night stop in Honolulu ,Oahu   .

Cliff