CDC

1 minute ago, pingpong1 said:

Why did we never seem to even worry about (or even consider the possibility of) "faked or forged" paper vaccination cards that have been used for well over the past 80 years (at least)?  Do we now simply live in a more devious/criminal/corrupt world today, filled with many more dishonest people, then what it used to be?  Just wondering?

With each passing day it's easier to just go get the shot than to go to all the trouble of faking a passable vax card.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MichaelCMTX said:

With each passing day it's easier to just go get the shot than to go to all the trouble of faking a passable vax card.  

And yet two passengers flying into Canada were each fined thousands of dollars for fake positive test results yesterday.  People will do what they think they have to do without consideration of others' wellbeing or even consequences.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:33 PM, SWFLAOK said:

So in other words, there won't be any cruises leaving from US ports until the CDC makes some reasonable rules. These are not reasonable. It's the same rules that they gave before vaccines were readily available to anyone in the US who wants to cruise.

Personally, we only cruised once from a US port, in Fort Lauderdale. We took a HAL cruise on the Prinsendam before it was sold off.  We thought it was a beautiful ship, and since we could drive there and leave our car at the park and cruise, it was convenient. It was much cheaper than Regent so we booked a Neptune Suite, and spent 2 weeks onboard over Christmas and New Years.

Our suite was great, our service was great, and the bars were great.

What wasn't great were the other passengers onboard. Because you can board from Florida without flying, there were large numbers of very old people and very obese people, and the number of scooters and wheel chairs blocking the way everywhere we went was unbelievable. At each port, one or more ambulances met us to take away those who couldn't make it through another day. There were a number of ports where we didn't stop since tendering was needed and many onboard wouldn't be able to take advantage of the port. And disembarking took many hours since those that needed assistance were allowed to leave first.

That was our first and last HAL cruise, as well as our first and last cruise from a US port. Just let us back into our country by air when we're vaccinated, and we can easily start cruising again, while US ports lose money.

I sincerely hope you continue to have good health and no need for a scooter or walker to help you get around.   Or, God forbid, a wheelchair.  I find your post insensitive to those who want to cruise yet need assistance.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Why did we never seem to even worry about (or even consider the possibility of) "faked or forged" paper vaccination cards that have been used for well over the past 80 years (at least)?  Do we now simply live in a more devious/criminal/corrupt world today, filled with many more dishonest people, then what it used to be?  Just wondering?

The same question could be asked about someone's Social Security number (in the U.S.).  40 years ago, we (I) gave our SSN's out to everyone, when asked, and without a second thought.  Banks, schools, employment applications...everything.  Now, we have to treat them "state secrets"!  Are people simply "different today" (and not in a good way), then years ago?

One thing that is "different" today is computers.  But wait!  I thought computers were going to make everything "simpler" and were going to "simplify our lives".  I'm not sure that really happened.  🤓

People are FAR more dishonest now then at any time in my life. 

• Like 2

I must say that these recent CC reports on the CDC guidelines and NCLH reaction does not sound like collaborative working towards the resumption of cruising in US waters:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6103/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6097/

I have to wonder whether a group of CDC employees got served a plate of dodgy shellfish during a past cruise and are still holding a grudge 😱 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with FDR that cruise lines are being treated much more strictly  than other travel related facilities     We flew to Dallas and back last weekend to visit family. Nothing has changed in air travel due to the pandemic other than mask requirements in airports and on planes, and reduction of in flight services. The plane was packed. DFW airport was very crowded. We expected that and wouldn’t have gone, except that we had out second vaccination three months ago.  I see no reason to restrict cruise lines I a much more restrictive manner than airlines and airports. It is discriminatory. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I agree with FDR that cruise lines are being treated much more strictly  than other travel related facilities     We flew to Dallas and back last weekend to visit family. Nothing has changed in air travel due to the pandemic other than mask requirements in airports and on planes, and reduction of in flight services. The plane was packed. DFW airport was very crowded. We expected that and wouldn’t have gone, except that we had out second vaccination three months ago.  I see no reason to restrict cruise lines I a much more restrictive manner than airlines and airports. It is discriminatory. 

I agree, I just don't understand why you can fly on a plane sitting right next to someone, walk down or up the aisle's, stand in line and you can't cruise---

• Like 3

On 4/30/2021 at 11:56 AM, SireDoime said:

The CDC exists to insure that best practices are put in place to further ensure that transmission of dangerous pathogens does not wipe out the population, as they have in centuries past.

The CDC is not the enemy.

Who are you kidding

• Like 7

1. Airplanes don't carry over 1000 people aboard.
  2. Airplanes don't keep these people onboard for more than 24 hours, domestically (unless you have a crazy flight plan).

Therefore, the CDC restrictions for cruise ships that carry well over 1000 to 6000 people, within the same space, for at least 3 consecutive days,  is deserving of those restrictions; for safety.

Have a nice week.

Peace.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SireDoime said:
  2. Airplanes don't keep these people onboard for more than 24 hours, domestically (unless you have a crazy flight plan).

Therefore, the CDC restrictions for cruise ships that carry well over 1000 to 6000 people, within the same space, for at least 3 consecutive days,  is deserving of those restrictions; for safety.

Have a nice week.

Peace.

But air planes seat you right next to each other in a very narrow area for 4 to 5 hours, it only takes a few 5 to 10 minutes to pass covid 19 to another person.  Plus the waiting area to catch your flight and the jet way itself.  Think about it.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, SireDoime said:

Have a nice week.

Peace.

Instead, I attribute the differing rules to the fact that the airline industry is strategic to our national interests, while cruising is not. Airlines could not survive if they had to comply with all the precautions necessary due to covid, hence they are not required to comply. Cruising (as much as I love it) is not a strategic industry.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Instead, I attribute the differing rules to the fact that the airline industry is strategic to our national interests, while cruising is not. Airlines could not survive if they had to comply with all the precautions necessary due to covid, hence they are not required to comply. Cruising (as much as I love it) is not a strategic industry.

By this logic, it is OK to risk those people flying for non-strategic reasons just to keep the strategic industry solvent...and most people are flying for non-strategic reasons. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

By this logic, it is OK to risk those people flying for non-strategic reasons just to keep the strategic industry solvent...and most people are flying for non-strategic reasons. 

I would argue that's exactly what they're doing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I would argue that's exactly what they're doing.

And so would I.

Actually, I don't see any way you could think otherwise.

Being full time Florida residents we know that flights are filled with vacationers that come here where they don't have to wear masks, and they refuse to do so even if a business (or our condo association) still requires them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SireDoime said:

Have a nice week.

Peace.

I'm booked on three cruises that have less then 700 passenger if they sail at full capacity.  One is even down around 450 people.  Azamara's four ships have under 700 passengers as well! So where are you getting your info?

• Like 1

Wow, even the NY Times is calling out the CDC for incorrectly misleading us by stating mask wearing guidelines outdoors.

"When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines last month for mask wearing, it announced that “less than 10 percent” of Covid-19 transmission was occurring outdoors. Media organizations repeated the statistic, (ignorant lemmings; my emphasis) and it quickly became a standard description of the frequency of outdoor transmission."

"That benchmark “seems to be a huge exaggeration,” as Dr. Muge Cevik, a virologist at the University of St. Andrews, said. In truth, the share of transmission that has occurred outdoors seems to be below 1 percent and may be below 0.1 percent,"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/briefing/outdoor-covid-transmission-cdc-number.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

So we're supposed to believe them when they say anything about cruising?  This isn't the first time they were misleading or flat out wrong! Do you still believe them?  I own  bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you a piece of. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I'm booked on three cruises that have less then 700 passenger if they sail at full capacity.  One is even down around 450 people.  Azamara's four ships have under 700 passengers as well! So where are you getting your info?

Really just think about it, how many planes with 350+ people fly to Japan each day just out of LA, add SFO, New York, Chicago, Dallas and more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pcardad said:

..and most people are flying for non-strategic reasons. 

I took a non-stragetic flight over a week ago to see my Grandson in CA. Planes were packed, delays due to weather, no distancing while waiting in line to get on plane. My 1st trip in a year and a half. Over 10 hrs wearing a mask from getting on flight until destination. Not a pleasant experience. Won't do it again for some time. At least I am still alive and vaccinated. 

• Like 2

Just a thought...given that the CDC probably does not monitor the Cruise Critic boards, perhaps letting your elected officials know how the current rules are impacting your life, pointing out the rules differences between methods of transportation, and the negative impact on jobs and communities would help move the ball down the field. A quick telephone call or email to your representatives in the House and Senate are more powerful than you may realize. To find your Senator's contact information, simply go to http://senate.gov and for House member's information, go to http://house.gov. 

• Like 1