Jump to content

To Vax or not to Vax.... Would you cruise


To Vax or not to Vax   

287 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you cruise if cruise line did NOT make vaccination mandatory

    • Yes
      49
    • No
      238


Recommended Posts

So far kids over 16 can be vaccinated, and they're talking about as little as 12, and that should make the 95% useable. At the beginning, I can't see parents lining up to take small children on a cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I suspect that the CDC minimum of 95% of passengers vaccinated was to take into account the lack of current vaccines for children. That would probably work for Celebrity, but I doubt that RCI or Disney would be able to meet that standard.

The lines can always choose to go the hard way and have unvaccinated cruises if they are insistent on keeping a large under 18 passenger cohort. But their restart will be even more delayed and difficult to put in place. I believe that it is a huge risk to have unvaccinated crew or passengers on board any ship for the near future. I wouldn’t go anywhere near one. 

Edited by harkinmr
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The lines can always choose to go the hard way and have unvaccinated cruises if they are insistent on keeping a large under 18 passenger cohort. But their restart will be even more delayed and difficult to put in place. I believe that it is a huge risk to have unvaccinated crew or passengers on board any ship for the near future. I wouldn’t go anywhere near one. 

And most countries would not allow them to visit

Link to post
Share on other sites

A six year old child with no underlying conditions just died of COVID in the U.S,    Who would put their children at risk on a cruise with other unvaccinated children?   It is just too dangerous for the children and they should stay off the ships until they have an approved vaccine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Celebrity should make a policy that all no matter the persons age get vaccinated in order to board their ships. 

Edited by davekathy
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity should make a policy that all no matter the persons age get vaccinated in order to board theirs ships. 

Completely agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity should make a policy that all no matter the persons age get vaccinated in order to board their ships. 

 

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Completely agree.

Me too!

 

No Vaccine = No Boarding

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 5:46 AM, deliver42 said:

So far kids over 16 can be vaccinated, and they're talking about as little as 12, and that should make the 95% useable. At the beginning, I can't see parents lining up to take small children on a cruise.

I would like to believe that to be true. But we all know that some people are very irresponsible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm not surprised by the polling results.  I am among the 15% who responded "yes" to cruising without a mandatory vaccine.  Put another way, if the question asked if I'd cruise if a vaccine was mandatory, my answer would be no.

 

I'm not anti-vax by any means.  But I need more time to pass before I agree to inject an experimental something into my body.  

 

That said, I noticed in Celebrity's latest mailer that they are currently only requiring vaccinations through October sailings.  It will likely get extended but who knows?

 

Agree completely with those who have said that they fear getting stuck on a ship that's been quarantined.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen any research to suggest that this won't happen even with a ship occupied only by vaxxed passengers.  

 

It is my greatest wish that cruising resume and that those who love the sea are able to once again embark from the US.  

 

Blessings, everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I guess I'm not surprised by the polling results.  I am among the 15% who responded "yes" to cruising without a mandatory vaccine.  Put another way, if the question asked if I'd cruise if a vaccine was mandatory, my answer would be no.

 

I'm not anti-vax by any means.  But I need more time to pass before I agree to inject an experimental something into my body.  

 

That said, I noticed in Celebrity's latest mailer that they are currently only requiring vaccinations through October sailings.  It will likely get extended but who knows?

 

Agree completely with those who have said that they fear getting stuck on a ship that's been quarantined.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen any research to suggest that this won't happen even with a ship occupied only by vaxxed passengers.  

 

It is my greatest wish that cruising resume and that those who love the sea are able to once again embark from the US.  

 

Blessings, everyone!

I know family and friends that feel the way you do.  There is vaccine resistance from this common thought about injecting an "experimental something".  Your body and your choice of course.  I am wondering if could you perhaps please define the amount of time to pass when you would be comfortable getting the vaccine?  How will you evaluate when the time is right for you?  Will it be OK if you are restricted from cruising during this waiting period?  I am truly trying to understand and not at all judging your choice.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I originally planned on waiting to be vaccinated to see what side effects popped up once millions had been vaccinated. But after learning that a few of DH old teachers had died of covid.. I decided to take the plunge figuring that as someone in my late 60s... the risk of Covid outweighed the risk of side effects from vaccine... at least ones that appear in the first few months... I also figured I am essentially part of a larger trial. Now if I was 30 or so...would I have done so as early as I did...(mid Jan)... I am not sure. I can understand hesitancy and even more so for children. But I do think that cruise ships should start out with vaccinated people. Frankly they got a black eye with what happened a year ago and I think they need to demonstrate that they can handle the situation... so it is best to begin with vaccinated and then expand to nonvaccinated as their protocols get tested.  Cruise ships are not like other services... you are essentially trapped on a vessel. I do think long haul flights also represent higher risks ...since passengers sit close to each other for hours...even on a cruise ship you exposure to strangers is generally only a few minutes or perhaps an hour at a time.  I hope that CDC will allow all ships currently scheduled to depart..to do so. One thing I did not notice was any discussion of initial capacity... was that addressed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

 I am wondering if could you perhaps please define the amount of time to pass when you would be comfortable getting the vaccine?  How will you evaluate when the time is right for you?  Will it be OK if you are restricted from cruising during this waiting period?  I am truly trying to understand and not at all judging your choice.  

That's a great question, TeeRick!  and I have thought a lot about it, to be sure.  Both my daughter and SIL are pharmacists and they have been vaccinated and they administer the vaccine daily.  They advocate for the vaccine and I truly respect their knowledge and expertise.  But I think I need at least a year of the vaccine(s) being available to the general public before I can comfortably say I would consider getting the vaccine myself.  That's my benchmark, anyway.  I am ok to sit out cruising for a while...like we haven't already, lol.  We have a few land vacays planned at a couple different all-inclusives in the Caribbean.  Of course it's not the same, but it will satisfy for now.  

 

Appreciate the genuine question without the judgement.  I think it's good to be able to have a discussion without all the other stuff entering in.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

That's a great question, TeeRick!  and I have thought a lot about it, to be sure.  Both my daughter and SIL are pharmacists and they have been vaccinated and they administer the vaccine daily.  They advocate for the vaccine and I truly respect their knowledge and expertise.  But I think I need at least a year of the vaccine(s) being available to the general public before I can comfortably say I would consider getting the vaccine myself.  That's my benchmark, anyway.  I am ok to sit out cruising for a while...like we haven't already, lol.  We have a few land vacays planned at a couple different all-inclusives in the Caribbean.  Of course it's not the same, but it will satisfy for now.  

 

Appreciate the genuine question without the judgement.  I think it's good to be able to have a discussion without all the other stuff entering in.

Thank you very much for your answer.  We all think about this situation differently.  Stay safe and stay healthy!😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

We love cruising... adore it!

That said....

Vaccinated crew and passengers- very important to us. Very.

If cruise lines do not make this a priority in the future, we will choose to travel other ways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 12:56 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

That's a great question, TeeRick!  and I have thought a lot about it, to be sure.  Both my daughter and SIL are pharmacists and they have been vaccinated and they administer the vaccine daily.  They advocate for the vaccine and I truly respect their knowledge and expertise.  But I think I need at least a year of the vaccine(s) being available to the general public before I can comfortably say I would consider getting the vaccine myself.  That's my benchmark, anyway.  I am ok to sit out cruising for a while...like we haven't already, lol.  We have a few land vacays planned at a couple different all-inclusives in the Caribbean.  Of course it's not the same, but it will satisfy for now.  

 

Appreciate the genuine question without the judgement.  I think it's good to be able to have a discussion without all the other stuff entering in.

 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:55 PM, TeeRick said:

Thank you very much for your answer.  We all think about this situation differently.  Stay safe and stay healthy!😀

Imagine how much better CC would have been the last year -- in fact a lot of things would have been better --- if there were more conversations like this. Thanks @TeeRick for the great questions and @Georgia_Peaches for your honest responses. While I have another view, I appreciate the civility of the discussion -- hasn't happened much in the past 14 months. 

 

 

mac_tlc

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I want to cruise!  My DH and I are fully vaccinated and we continue to take personal responsibility with hand hygiene practices.  Before COVID, the biggest, scariest bug on cruise ships was Norovirus.   My habits will remain the same: 

  • Upon initial entry to my stateroom, I wipe down every hard surface with a disinfectant wipe and U/V light for the linens
  • Carry hand sanitizer with me at all times to use after touching doorknobs, elevator buttons, stair handrails and other commonly-touched surfaces
  • Use the hand sanitizer stations every time I encounter one on the ship
  • Thank the crew members offering hand sanitizer at restaurant entrances
  • Take full advantage of the premium beverage package for seasickness prevention and to kill gut germs (lol!)

Can't wait to cruise again! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone:  I read all the posts on here and I totally agree that passengers and crew should all be fully vaccinated.  As a teacher with most students remote and few in class-- children should not be allowed aboard until vaccinated. If you have a chance to see the short film on HBO "The Last Cruise" you would think twice before getting on a ship unvaccinated.  It was about the Diamond Princess and the 15 passengers that died and what happened aboard to passengers and crew. Not an Oscar winner, but certainly something to see.

 

As stated by others -- we will not get on the ship until all of the procedures are in place and they worked out all of the logistics.  A ship in Japan just had one case the other day and the whole ship was forced to get off in the next port.

 

We will take a wait and see.  I am glad we took our 40 cruises prior to Covid.  We would love to cruise again, but we will wait to see how things pan out...  Nice to be on the leading edge and not the bleeding edge....    

 

Happy Sailing to All...😊🛳️

Edited by neilrr
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 7:08 PM, davekathy said:

Celebrity should make a policy that all no matter the persons age get vaccinated in order to board their ships. 

100% agree. Get Stuck or stay stuck at home!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saturngrl said:

Yes, I want to cruise!  My DH and I are fully vaccinated and we continue to take personal responsibility with hand hygiene practices.  Before COVID, the biggest, scariest bug on cruise ships was Norovirus.

My biggest heath problem pre Covid with cruises was coming home with terrible upper respiratory infections (URI) contracted while on the ship.  No fun flying home for 8 hours on a airplane coughing up a lung. Because I am so susceptible to URIs, my doctor gives me a ZPac antibiotic pack to carry when I travel overseas.

 

Fortunately I was never on a cruise with Norovirus issues. With all of the new sanitation protocols, I feel safer after COVID that I will not come home with a URI.  Just the same way the Flu season last year was almost non existent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

100% agree. Get Stuck or stay stuck at home!

 

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

My biggest heath problem pre Covid with cruises was coming home with terrible upper respiratory infections (URI) contracted while on the ship.  No fun flying home for 8 hours on a airplane coughing up a lung. Because I am so susceptible to URIs, my doctor gives me a ZPac antibiotic pack to carry when I travel overseas.

 

terrydtx- Amen... I totally agree with you.. Let them all stay home. Our beloved Governor in FL passed a law no Covid passports or documentation requirements - I totally disagree... Tell that to the families of the 600K that are now deceased...

 

I also have URI issues -- probably due to my students in class as they carry "lots" of germs..😊 That

Z-PAC did work years ago; I think they watered it down and it did not work for me anymore -- I started using a 10 day supply of Augmentin and it is wonderful. It knocks that URI out one, two three. I also carry a mild inhaler and when needed a steroid.

 

Happy Future Travels...😁🛳️    

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, neilrr said:

Our beloved Governor in FL passed a law no Covid passports or documentation requirements - I totally disagree...

This, if enforceable, with the cruise industry, will most likely keep any cruises from sailing form Florida this year. I like your Governor but the cruise industry should have been exempt from this new law. I can agree that restaurants and some business should not require COVID passports, but the cruise lines have to require the proof and it may be mandated by the CDC.  A lawyer friend of mine told me that all the cruise lines need to do is require passengers, as part of their pre cruise online documentation, provide a copy of their vaccinations or not get their boarding passes and paperwork. This could totally bypass the Florida Law.

Edited by terrydtx
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

This, if enforceable, with the cruise industry will most likely keep and cruises from sailing form Florida this year. I like your Governor but the cruise industry should have been exempt from this new law. I can agree that restaurants and some business should not require COVID passports, but the cruise lines have to require the proof. A lawyer friend of mine told me that all the cruise lines need to do is require passengers, as part of their pre cruise online documentation, provide a copy of their vaccinations or not get their boarding passes. This could totally bypass the Florida Law.

Unfortunately, those little cards are being reproduced in Miami for $15 a pop. They need to create a national or state wide accessible database of those who has received the vaccine. They already have it in a database somewhere beside the little white card. This will probably have to come at a national level otherwise, I do not believe other countries will let us in on our good looks...😁 Well maybe.. Time will tell... 

 

I can also show them my childhood vaccinations on a loose leaf paper my mother gave me and I still have to this day. I guess we have not come that far in technology in 60 years...LOL:classic_biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Realize there is big discussions on what the Fla Governor is doing, but after his announcement doing away with all the COVID restrictions, Disney announced masks will still be required. So lets just say that whatever the Fla Government has control over will follow the directives and so on, private businesses will continue to do what they believe is necessary to remain open safely. And yes, I read the Fla law on vaccination ‘passports’ and that no business will be allowed to require such proof, but that will be handled just as the Govt’s ‘announcement’ doing away with all COVID restrictions……..ahhh, we’ll do what is required to stay in business.

 

And if anyone thinks Cruise LInes (yes, I know some are saying they won’t require shots for all) are actually going to start cruising and take the chance of even one ship being restricted from entering some port and the cruise cut short…….Let’s bet some serious money instead of just taking/posting (joking of course). 

 

Den

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t wait to board a totally vaccinated ship!    I believe the scientists who came up with the vaccines in record time should get Noble Peace Prizes!    Now some of the same scientists have a vaccine, much like the current COVID vaccines, that works against childhood leukemia.    Hopefully they can modify it to work against other cancers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...