Jump to content

To Vax or not to Vax.... Would you cruise


To Vax or not to Vax   

287 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you cruise if cruise line did NOT make vaccination mandatory

    • Yes
      49
    • No
      238


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ch175 said:


What other personal information would you like to see in that database? Unless you are 12 years old, you must realize that once such a database is created it is never going away.

I think most do realize it won’t ‘go away’, thats kind of the point. This isn’t trying to pry private general info from individuals, this is in response to a Pandemic, you know, a worldwide disease that is easily spread and a killer. 

 

But I’ll pass on anymore discussion on this (I hope!) since it’s obvious, and required. And there are concerns about ‘databases’? How about the ones we are all on after booking with various cruise lines with a ton of personal info?  Voluntary yes, but you have no control of how it’s used and passed on. 

 

Whatever. One of the founding documents of my country lists ‘Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness’. Life is in front of Liberty. Kind of makes sense. 

 

Den

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It really is not up to me.  Nor is it up to the country in which I live.

 

Bottom line is that most cruises go to multiple countries, each having their own regulations.

 

If a country requires a visa or proof of covid vaccination that is what the cruise line will require when customers board the ship.  No matter where embarkation takes place.  Who knows...depending where covid goes some countries may require proof of vaccination AND a covid test done in the last 72 hours.  

 

The same might well be true of other international airline carriers and some out of country resorts.

 

I suspect that if we want to travel internationally over the next while we will need proof of covid vaccination whether we agree or disagree.   Or simply limit our travel to our home country.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

That's fine for US passengers, but regulations in other countries may be very different. When considering problems and solutions, a more global perspective is helpful.

but you specifically mentioned cruise line access to Floridas database in the post I responded to. Thus the US focused answer

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, nocl said:

but you specifically mentioned cruise line access to Floridas database in the post I responded to. Thus the US focused answer

You're right, I did mention the Floridian database, but intended the emphasis to be on the "any other government databases". My bad for not being more precise.

 

"There are far too many security and privacy issues surrounding foreign commercial companies having direct access to government medical databases, so I personally hope that cruise lines will never acquire access to Floridian or any other government databases."

Edited by Fouremco
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, iancal said:

It really is not up to me.  Nor is it up to the country in which I live.

 

Bottom line is that most cruises go to multiple countries, each having their own regulations.

 

If a country requires a visa or proof of covid vaccination that is what the cruise line will require when customers board the ship.  No matter where embarkation takes place.  Who knows...depending where covid goes some countries may require proof of vaccination AND a covid test done in the last 72 hours.  

 

The same might well be true of other international airline carriers and some out of country resorts.

 

I suspect that if we want to travel internationally over the next while we will need proof of covid vaccination whether we agree or disagree.   Or simply limit our travel to our home country.

Or those who don't have vaccinations won't be allowed off the ships in those ports (countries) that require it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Or those who don't have vaccinations won't be allowed off the ships in those ports (countries) that require it. 

My understanding is that cruise ships actually enter foreign countries well before they dock.   Any tied up at the dock has entered the country without stepping on shore.

 

I do not think 'not getting off the ship' will cut in those countries requiring a covid vaccination for entry.  Or a visa for that matter.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, iancal said:

My understanding is that cruise ships actually enter foreign countries well before they dock.   Any tied up at the dock has entered the country without stepping on shore.

 

I do not think 'not getting off the ship' will cut in those countries requiring a covid vaccination for entry.  Or a visa for that matter.

Right. The ship would not be permitted to anchor or tie up at a dock if their passenger cohort does not meet the vaccine requirement.  

Edited by harkinmr
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Or those who don't have vaccinations won't be allowed off the ships in those ports (countries) that require it. 

No, it doesn't work that way. A good example from a couple of years ago on CC was a foreign student studying on a student visa in the US. He booked an Alaskan cruise from Seattle that had a port call in Victoria, but was told by the cruise line at the terminal that he wouldn't be allowed to board because he didn't have the necessary visa for entry to Canada. The student argued that he would simply remain on the ship, but it was pointed out to him that anyone aboard the ship would be considered as having entered Canada, whether or not they actually disembarked at the port, and he was refused boarding. An expensive lesson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 11:47 PM, ChutChut said:

Or those who don't have vaccinations won't be allowed off the ships in those ports (countries) that require it. 

That’s the wild card for me.  How will port of call countries react if they know a ship contains unvaccinated people 

 

I for one do not want a 7 day cruise to nowhere

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...