Included car parking at Southampton

PrincessPete

Hi all, when we booked for our 28 nighter in November 2022 we opted for the included car parking.

Just as a matter of interest at this early stage can anyone advise where the car park will be - is it likely to be close by whatever Terminal we sail from?

Or do we leave the car and keys with someone who then parks away from the Terminal and returns the car when we disembark?

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards. Peter

19 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

Hi all, when we booked for our 28 nighter in November 2022 we opted for the included car parking.

Just as a matter of interest at this early stage can anyone advise where the car park will be - is it likely to be close by whatever Terminal we sail from?

Or do we leave the car and keys with someone who then parks away from the Terminal and returns the car when we disembark?

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards. Peter

All Carnival lines use CPS, who operate a valet service from each terminal with your car parked in a port side area and brought backto a nearby car park on return,  So you unload and leave your car and keys at the terminal drop off.

20 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards. Peter

You park in the CPS parking lane directly in front of the terminal. Your car is checked in, and driven away. Whist waiting, or during the check in period, a porter will take your luggage from you. All very simple, although the process can be a bit lengthy early on, as everyone arrives at once!

On return, you will walk to the adjacent carpark, pick your keys up from the kiosk, and drive your car away. 

Your car will be parked in an off site carpark during your cruise.

21 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I believe CPS use an on-site secure compound, and car aren’t taken off site.  Has this now changed? 

They have alway used an off site carpark in the last 5 years that I have parked with them. I would have thought that the sheer number of cars involved would make using an on site car park a physical impossibility. 

Plus of course, you have the issue of cars being in the wrong carpark, if a ship returns to a different terminal to the one used for departure.

Edited by wowzz

17 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I think you are right, it so so on their website 

https://www.cruiseparking.co.uk/ports/southampton/

It says that cars are taken to a nearby on site carpark. However this is not the same car park where you collect the car.

So, yes, you are correct, and I am wrong, but in my defence I thought the question was asking if cars were kept in the same car park throughout,  which is not the case.  

31 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I think you are right, it says so on their website 

https://www.cruiseparking.co.uk/ports/southampton/

Thank you, I knew that used to be the case, and assumed it still was.  I chose to use CPS for the convenience of the car being at the correct terminal when you disembark with no need to shuttle.

Plus I am happier knowing it stays on site, seen too many horror watchdog programmes about people thinking they had secure parking. I wouldn’t use them if they changed to taking my car off site.

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It says that cars are taken to a nearby on site carpark. However this is not the same car park where you collect the car.

So, yes, you are correct, and I am wrong, but in my defence I thought the question was asking if cars were kept in the same car park throughout,  which is not the case.  

I am aware of that, many more cruises  in disembarking whilst I am enjoying my time away. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I think the one exception is for mini cruises, when the passengers self park and the car remains in that car park.  That was the case about two years ago  anyway, but would never have applied to many cruises of course.

Glad you are happy with your cabin Wowzz, now all we need is for the Princess one to go ahead without too many restrictions.

Just to add to the other replies: 

On the occasion that your departure terminal is different from your arrival terminal at Southampton, your car will be in the correct one upon arrival.  However, most of the time it is the same.

Upon collection, you go to a kiosk, which is well signposted to collect your keys.  You then get a letter and a number which directs you broadly to where your car is parked.  Usually a porter is on hand to take your luggage trolley once you have put your suitcases back in to your car etc.

The difference is 2 night mini cruises where you keep your keys.  In all other instances, as said, with CPS, you hand your keys over at the embarkation terminal after unloading your luggage.  All usually sorted in 10-15 minutes and a very good service in my experience.

Final point is that for cruises which are longer than 10 or so days, usually the value of the car parking voucher is much greater than the OBC offer, unless you are going for a suite etc.  Worth checking before you choose your "select price" option.  P&O have cottoned on and restricted it to cruises of six nights or more.

54 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Final point is that for cruises which are longer than 10 or so days, usually the value of the car parking voucher is much greater than the OBC offer, unless you are going for a suite etc.  Worth checking before you choose your "select price" option.  P&O have cottoned on and restricted it to cruises of six nights or more.

That is an important point and one which needs taken into account.  I usually think the free parking on an inside and outside is a no brainer, though beyond that it is worth thinking twice and comparing which other car parking you would use (or transport to the terminal if coach travel is a preference).  We are also thinking that we would get 8.5% off on board spend when we use our own money to pay for things, but with the complimentary OBS, you do not get the Peninsular club discount, so each £100 OBS is only worth £92.50 to us.  All sounds a bit penny pinching and after all it can be very convenient to turn up with your car and also be able to drive straight home from the port when you return, rather than have to pick up your car elsewhere.  On the other hand there is also some advantage in being able to park a car at a hotel the day before the cruise and let a taxi driver take you to the port, so a certain amount of personal choice.

I knew the OP was referring to a cruise we have booked and he has booked the same grade of cabin as us (mid ship deluxe), so I know the OBS alternative is £115pp, which we felt is probably not worth it compared to the parking, especially considering the amount of luggage we will have for four weeks.  We had looked at park and stay deals with hotels or Holiday Extras as we will need a hotel night as well, though that is difficult to gauge at present as I think a lot of those are cheaper for this year than they normally are as some cruises may not be going in 2021.

We have chosen parking, though may change that choice to OBS at a later stage, which I understand you can do up to a certain time before the sailing date, according to what we want to do.

Edited by tring

On 4/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, PrincessPete said:

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards. Peter

You still have to book your parking with CPS. This has to be done at least 35 days before departure. All being well you should get a zero cost invoice. You print off a page to put on your windscreen showing your ship. 
Brian

16 hours ago, Nightingale0208 said:

Also on that cruise but new to P&O, no time to think about it, only 9 cabins left when I booked this morning. No choice of cabins left so fingers crossed.

Look forward to meeting you. Sadly the prices for this cruise were put up at 10am on the day that sales went live for non priority booking people (last Thursday), so you missed out on that as well.  It is possible to pre register for newly launched P&O cruises before they go on sale, either direct with P&O or with an agent (a lot of discussions on these boards about what the differences are in who you register with).

It seems P&O are willing to change cabins for others in the same grade or upgrade you at a later date, should a preferred cabin become available.  Perhaps some time before any will turn up on the booking system, but worth doing a mock booking from time to time.  Balance payment date is around the time other cabins are most likely to appear, which of course is a while away.  I am sure a roll call will be started nearer to cruise date, on the roll call boards, which gives a chance to discuss the cruise and ports of call.  Like me, I suspect that is not uppermost in people's minds at present.

Barbara

Edited by tring

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Nightingale0208 said:

My only concern is that the balcony looks odd. It seems to be enclosed and its not clear whether the screen can be lowered to open up the balcony to the outside world.

The standard balcony cabins on Aurora (decks A and C) are sort of cut into the hull, so have a metal surround at the edges of the balcony and also a smaller glass front at a lower level.  If that glass balcony front is what you mean as "the screen", I do not see how it could be lowered as you would then be highly likely to just fall off the balcony, especially if the ship is rocking a bit. 

The deluxe balconies, which are on B deck, are more open with just a larger glass front to a height which is safe.  They are also bigger cabins than the standard balconies.  More expensive though, so basically you get what you pay for, though also depends on availability and prices at the time you book of course.  We are thinking that on days when the weather is not so good, the standard balconies could give a bit more protection from wind, rain etc.

If you find some pictures of the outside of the ship, you will see what I mean, regards the balcony structures.

Edited by tring

28 nights is a long cruise and a significant amount of time for a modern car to be left, especially in winter with cold temperatures.

In first lockdown my own car didn't move for about 4 weeks and when I tried to start it nothing.  The battery was at 10v, so no chance until it had been charged.

I would ensure the battery is healthy, but I assume CPS have booster packs to get cars with flat batteries started.

Guest Snaxmuppet

Many modern cars, especially electric cars, use power slowly all the time to run the background systems. It isn't much but if the 12V battery is not in good condition then in winter especially it can run flat if left.

If leaving your car while on a long cruise I would recommend getting the 12V battery fully charged on a good quality charger (like a CTEK) prior to leaving home. Also, if the 12V battery is more than 5 years old you should consider replacement (then fully charging!). They don't last forever (3-5 years is typical) and if it isn't being used daily an old one can run flat.

19 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Many modern cars, especially electric cars, use power slowly all the time to run the background systems. It isn't much but if the 12V battery is not in good condition then in winter especially it can run flat if left.

If leaving your car while on a long cruise I would recommend getting the 12V battery fully charged on a good quality charger (like a CTEK) prior to leaving home. Also, if the 12V battery is more than 5 years old you should consider replacement (then fully charging!). They don't last forever (3-5 years is typical) and if it isn't being used daily an old one can run flat.

A 225 mile journey down to Southampton usually tops our battery up to its fullest. We have done two 28 night and one 35 nighter Caribbean round trip in winter,  the last one when the car was 4 yrs old, and never had a problem with the battery.

Guest Snaxmuppet
3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

A 225 mile journey down to Southampton usually tops our battery up to its fullest. We have done two 28 night and one 35 nighter Caribbean round trip in winter,  the last one when the car was 4 yrs old, and never had a problem with the battery.

Excellent!

I am sure most people don't have any issues or we would all be complaining about it... still worth checking though especially is the battery is over 5 years old 🙂