Canadian funds

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Now that the Canadian dollar is going up, Is Celebrity going to adjust the Canadian fares?

I just checked the South America, 14 day in Jan/23 and the Canadian fare is $1000 more that the exchange rate warrants.

Why not book it in US funds. We have a couple booked in US funds and I have found that in the past they been slow in adjusting. 

Edited by lienf

I asked Celebrity this question a long time ago and the response was the rates are fixed at time of release.  Now, that was a while ago and things could have certainly changed!    

So, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.  I've been on both ends of the spectrum.

12 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

I asked Celebrity this question a long time ago and the response was the rates are fixed at time of release.  Now, that was a while ago and things could have certainly changed!    

So, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.  I've been on both ends of the spectrum.

I knew Celebrity didn’t adjust their Canadian $ pricing every time the dollar went up or down but I hadn’t realized they locked in the conversion rate as the cruises are released.  I guess that makes sense as it avoids the issue of people repricing their cruise every few months.  

37 minutes ago, RickT said:

I knew Celebrity didn’t adjust their Canadian $ pricing every time the dollar went up or down but I hadn’t realized they locked in the conversion rate as the cruises are released.  I guess that makes sense as it avoids the issue of people repricing their cruise every few months.  

I know that just three or four years ago they would adjust the CAD pricing on a regular basis for purchases of OBC, specialty dining and the like, but it makes sense that actual cruise bookings have the exchange rate locked.

We just book the lower cost of the two methods. Sometimes it's better to go with cruise line's Canadian dollar price and sometimes it better to use the USD price. No big deal to compare.

59 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I know that just three or four years ago they would adjust the CAD pricing on a regular basis for purchases of OBC, specialty dining and the like, but it makes sense that actual cruise bookings have the exchange rate locked.

When I book excursions or specialty dining and pay in Cdn. $$s (not OBC), a pop up tells me the rate is established at the FIRST purchase I make for that particular cruise....so no adjustment as time goes on and rate changes.  Always have the option to cancel the purchase, get a refund, then re-book at the new rate.  There's such a small difference I wouldn't bother doing that.

15 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

When I book excursions or specialty dining and pay in Cdn. $$s (not OBC), a pop up tells me the rate is established at the FIRST purchase I make for that particular cruise....so no adjustment as time goes on and rate changes.  Always have the option to cancel the purchase, get a refund, then re-book at the new rate.  There's such a small difference I wouldn't bother doing that.

Yes, I should have said "up until just three or four years ago..." As you say, they now lock in the conversion rate on your first purchase. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, I should have said "up until just three or four years ago..." As you say, they now lock in the conversion rate on your first purchase. 

Just checked an upcoming Edge SV:  1.00 USD = 1.2715 CAD Current Rate;

rate was higher when originally booked.  To me it seems a saw off.

5893.84 US  
7,544.12 Cdn @ 128%
7,588.00 Charged 
Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

@Fouremco I used to always book in USD as I had a US credit card but have since cancelled as bank wants you to keep 5K in it at all times. Does not make financial sense any longer.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

@Fouremco I used to always book in USD as I had a US credit card but have since cancelled as bank wants you to keep 5K in it at all times. Does not make financial sense any longer.

My US fund credit card is still OK, but my Cad card gives us some cancellation insurance. It used to cover the cruise, but now the fares are so high it doesn't anymore

2 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

My US fund credit card is still OK, but my Cad card gives us some cancellation insurance. It used to cover the cruise, but now the fares are so high it doesn't anymore

Mine also gives cancellation insurance but only $1500 per person and yes with fares so high its basically a drop in the bucket.