Rebooking a sold out excursion in Cruise Planner

I have a question about what can be done in Cruise Planner when prices drop (like today).

Several times in the past I have cancelled my previous Cruise Planner items and reordered at the new price. No problem. I get a refund for the old and then get charged at the new price. All is well.

This time, I have an item that is sold out, but its price dropped 40%. I called the customer service line and asked if I can simply get a refund for the difference. They said no. I would have to do what I did for the other items--cancel the previous order and order new. They said that the item would go back on sale when I cancelled since a spot would open up.

Has anyone done this before on a sold-out item? I want the lower price, but I don't want to risk losing it even more. Has anyone here ever taken a risk like this? Do sold-out items automatically become available in Cruise Planner when someone cancels? My gut instinct is to leave things as they are and not take the risk.

It would go back into inventory. But there is no guarantee that someone else won’t grab it before you do.  If you decide to do it, I’d login in the middle of the night, and then hope nothing goes wrong!

I'd cancel in the middle of the night on the website and rebook immediately.  I've gambled once or twice that way and been ok.  I usually do it at 10pm pacific time, and it's been fine.  No one (but me) cares that much!

2 hours ago, MightyMike said:

I have a question about what can be done in Cruise Planner when prices drop (like today).

Several times in the past I have cancelled my previous Cruise Planner items and reordered at the new price. No problem. I get a refund for the old and then get charged at the new price. All is well.

This time, I have an item that is sold out, but its price dropped 40%. I called the customer service line and asked if I can simply get a refund for the difference. They said no. I would have to do what I did for the other items--cancel the previous order and order new. They said that the item would go back on sale when I cancelled since a spot would open up.

Has anyone done this before on a sold-out item? I want the lower price, but I don't want to risk losing it even more. Has anyone here ever taken a risk like this? Do sold-out items automatically become available in Cruise Planner when someone cancels? My gut instinct is to leave things as they are and not take the risk.

With it being sold out you have no way of knowing that it is on sale or how much it will be on sale for.  Just for example on shore excursions that I have booked in the past, I have found that for some shore excursions in limited numbers that only the first few go on sale and then the remaining inventory may go on sale but at less of a discount. 

Say there are 8 spots open in total.  The first may go to 40% off and the last 4 May only ever go to 20% off.

Also if you cancel them they may not show up with any discount at all and you may need to wait for the next sale for them to pick up the discount (if someone else hasn’t purchased them)

I have had these situations happen to me when I was purchasing Alaska excursions and didn’t’t have a preference between two different excursions.  

you cannot assume that if you cancel something that is sold out in the cruise planner that it will show back up discounted. 

• Like 1

I got brave because I found a backup plan.

The Cruise Planner item I wanted repriced was a Bungalow that I purchased for $263 (full price) that went on sale for $157. I was able to snag a Cabana for $237 which is normally $395. If I couldn't get the sale price on the Bungalow, then I would still be saving $26 by "upgrading" to a Cabana.

Now I'm faced with a new dilemma. I sort of like the Cabana better now anyway. It has a few advantages over the Bungalow. Decisions, decisions!

• Haha 2