Odd Question!

I always had good luck bringing delicious specialty sodas on board NCL at the end of port stops. Six packs galore, for instance of hyper caffeinated "Antarctica" which looks exactly like forbidden beer if the reboard staff can't read the Portuguese label. If chilling is a problem, a lot of diet drinks can be surprisingly good tepid.

It really can be more of an opportunity rather than a constraint because you don't know what you are missing from abroad. It was a thrill for me to guzzle blackcurrent soda in my cabin, scarce in my own country because growing that berry has been banned for most of my lifetime due to false concerns about it spreading disease to forests.

Edited by dumbth

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL does not allow drinks to be brought on board. Drinks found at security checks will be thrown out. 

True in theory - but I've often brought back a bottle of soda and/or water after going ashore and it's never been confiscated.  Always in plain sight in the outside pocket of my backpack.

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

True in theory - but I've often brought back a bottle of soda and/or water after going ashore and it's never been confiscated.  Always in plain sight in the outside pocket of my backpack.

Probably more concerned at the port of origin where NCL has more security machines and the

personnel to run them. At ports in route only the basic on board security machines are

available and not watched with due diligence - looking for bigger fish those with 12 packs

of beverage - crates of wines - liter bottles of high test liquor - looking for those weapons

of mass destruction etc. LOL !

And then maybe you winked at the security crewman and he got distracted.

Probably goes back to unscrupulous guests smuggling booze in water bottles and other

vessels to avoid paying the corkage fees or price of bar room drinks.

Bringing your own liquids on board diminishes the profit line of NCL to a degree yet to be

determined.

When boarding your ship you are not permitted to bring your own water or other liquids in

any of your carry on or other baggage.

Distilled water for cpap machines and the alike is permitted.

You can bring EMPTY bottles on board to refill with ships water unlimitedly - but even those

empty bottles at times are taken away by rogue security inspectors. 

Water in bottles can be purchased on board thru Guest Services - what a racket !

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Can people tell me what the deal is with getting bottled water on board? 🙂

NCL used to allow passengers to bring their own water and soft drinks onboard, but no longer.  Now, if you want bottled water, you must purchase it from NCL for onboard consumption.  Instead, I take a reusable water bottle (currently Hydro Flask) and fill it from the dispenser in the buffet area or from pitchers in the dining rooms or at bars.  Water from any of these sources is fine, and some say water from the stateroom tap is fine too, especially if you allow it to sit overnight.  I have not tried that.  It is easy to get free water onboard.  I have only purchased water one time - when I cruised with my elderly mother who could not as easily trek around the ship to obtain a free refill.

I heard the same...the reason no bottled water was allowed were people were smuggling in liquor in their bottled water.  Kind of lame, in my estimation.  I think it's because they want to sell you bottled water at an inflated price.

Besides, if you can't be more creative in smuggling in liquor than putting it in water bottles, you don't deserve to bring water bottles on board.  LOL!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelicious said:

NCL used to allow passengers to bring their own water and soft drinks onboard, but no longer.  Now, if you want bottled water, you must purchase it from NCL for onboard consumption.  Instead, I take a reusable water bottle (currently Hydro Flask) and fill it from the dispenser in the buffet area or from pitchers in the dining rooms or at bars.  Water from any of these sources is fine, and some say water from the stateroom tap is fine too, especially if you allow it to sit overnight.  I have not tried that.  It is easy to get free water onboard.  I have only purchased water one time - when I cruised with my elderly mother who could not as easily trek around the ship to obtain a free refill.

Somewhere on these boards a couple of years ago a water engineer said that he tested the water from various sources on the ship and all was fine but said the best was the melted ice from your ice bucket.  We have been filling our water bottles in the morning from the ice bucket.  It is very good water.

4 hours ago, fmrlkr said:

Somewhere on these boards a couple of years ago a water engineer said that he tested the water from various sources on the ship and all was fine but said the best was the melted ice from your ice bucket.  We have been filling our water bottles in the morning from the ice bucket.  It is very good water.

And where do you suppose that ice came from - ships water - frozen !

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Besides, if you can't be more creative in smuggling in liquor than putting it in water bottles, you don't deserve to bring water bottles on board.  LOL!

Rum Runners are your friend! 😉 Stating that for a friend that swears by them as I have never tried myself! 😄

• Haha 1

The Encore did not have Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi when we sailed her in December of 2019. I don't know your embarkation point but in Miami there are soda vending machines in the waiting area and some people buy a few of their favorites to bring on board after they pass through security. I am assuming they weren't confiscated.

If you buy at a port of call time your return to the ship with the biggest queue. On my last cruise I was part of a group that did an independent tour which included a visit to a rum distillery. *everyone* bought a bottle or 2 and I’m fairly sure none of us had it confiscated because a few of the official excursions ran late and the queue to re-board was still quite long when they should have been pulling in the gangways. They were more concerned with getting everyone on-board as quickly as possible. 

1 hour ago, eileeshb said:

If you buy at a port of call time your return to the ship with the biggest queue. On my last cruise I was part of a group that did an independent tour which included a visit to a rum distillery. *everyone* bought a bottle or 2 and I’m fairly sure none of us had it confiscated because a few of the official excursions ran late and the queue to re-board was still quite long when they should have been pulling in the gangways. They were more concerned with getting everyone on-board as quickly as possible. 

Ordinarily with time permitting the booze would have been taken from you and returned the

last night of the cruise - no fees or corkage charges.

-BUT-

in the heat of a group movement and a timely port departure -

well things happen to expedite the situation.

Don't count on it happening every time

Oh and congrats "Another one flew over the cuckoo's nest" !

Since liquor is generally cheaper on a cruise, either on board or in a port, I usually am over by about one or two ltrs, and have never had to pay a duty by customs. They don't even check anything usually.

7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Since liquor is generally cheaper on a cruise, either on board or in a port, I usually am over by about one or two ltrs, and have never had to pay a duty by customs. They don't even check anything usually.

I got hit for 2 extra bottles in the Port of New York. Don't remember what I had to pay but they made me pay it.

But . . . another time in Port Canaveral, me and my Uncle made it through with 6 bottles each. The customs agent told us that we should have came down when they boarded at 6am and pay the fee. He let us through with a "warning". This was a 4-day cruise.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:17 PM, cruisekitty22 said:

Does anyone know for sure that they have Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi on the Encore?  We are sailing Dec 5-12-2021, I hope! I know they have regular diet Pepsi.

Are you in the haven, or maybe even a club suite?  I know in the haven you can ask for things and if they can easily get it (like a case of soda in a port city) normally they do.