How will Florida's ban on vaccine passports effect cruise ship requirements?

Lazz

would the following procedure be a work around for Cruise lines that want all passengers fully vaccinated, while at the same time respecting the Florida law.

Warn all passengers in advance that while their vaccination status will not be checked port side, status will be checked an hour/ six hours after embarkation. Passengers who cannot document their vaccine status will be confined to their cabin for duration of cruise.

Presumably this would keep the unvaccinated at home.

Edited by Nearpost345
  • Like 1

You forgot about the CDC. You need to ask them.

Their CSO instructs that any ship sailing from a US Port and cannot confirm 95%+ vaccinated passengers must operate as if nobody is vaccinated. 

This means masks worn everywhere, social distancing everywhere, and shore access only on ship’s tours. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 3:22 AM, Donald said:

You forgot about the CDC. You need to ask them. Their CSO instructs that any ship....

I wonder under what authority the CDC regulates the cruise industry? Could the CDC have ordered all airplanes grounded? All city buses & subways stopped? All trains to be halted?

13 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I wonder under what authority the CDC regulates the cruise industry? Could the CDC have ordered all airplanes grounded? All city buses & subways stopped? All trains to be halted?

The CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) is under the US TSA, along with the US Coast Guard. The VSP only has authority over foreign flag ships - not airplanes, trains, buses, American Flag ships, or other transports.

Edited by Donald

5 hours ago, Donald said:

The CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) is under the US TSA, along with the US Coast Guard. The VSP only has authority over foreign flag ships - not airplanes, trains, buses, American Flag ships, or other transports.

The CDC is under HHS, not DHS and the VSP is about individual ships and individuals to specific outbreaks related to a specific ship. Applying 42 U.S.C. Section 264 as a blanket excuse to shut down an entire industry stretches credulity and far exceeds the authority granted by the statute.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:22 AM, Donald said:

You forgot about the CDC. You need to ask them.

Their CSO instructs that any ship sailing from a US Port and cannot confirm 95%+ vaccinated passengers must operate as if nobody is vaccinated. 

This means masks worn everywhere, social distancing everywhere, and shore access only on ship’s tours. 

And dont forget, per the CDC, ships that do not meet the vaccination threshold will have to have done non revenue test cruises.  

I cant imagine a cruise ship wanting to sail without full vaccinations for virtually all.  A major outbreak would be  a huge setback for the whole industry.

On 6/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, Nearpost345 said:

would the following procedure be a work around for Cruise lines that want all passengers fully vaccinated, while at the same time respecting the Florida law.

Warn all passengers in advance that while their vaccination status will not be checked port side, status will be checked an hour/ six hours after embarkation. Passengers who cannot document their vaccine status will be confined to their cabin for duration of cruise.

Presumably this would keep the unvaccinated at home.

Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and likely the others are doing something similar, but not as drastic. They are asking for proof of vaccination. Those who do not provide it will be required to take a Covid-19 test prior to embarking...at their expense. They will also have to take another Covid-19 test prior to debarking...again, at their expense and I don't think these rapid tests are cheap. In addition, those who do not provide proof of vaccination will be required to wear a mask at all times, except when eating or drinking while those who are vaccinated don't have to wear one at all. That is compliant with Florida law and hopefully enough to discourage those who are not vaccinated. If not...perhaps they'll move on to your idea. 🙂

10 hours ago, johare said:

Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and likely the others are doing something similar, but not as drastic. They are asking for proof of vaccination. Those who do not provide it will be required to take a Covid-19 test prior to embarking...at their expense. They will also have to take another Covid-19 test prior to debarking...again, at their expense and I don't think these rapid tests are cheap. In addition, those who do not provide proof of vaccination will be required to wear a mask at all times, except when eating or drinking while those who are vaccinated don't have to wear one at all. That is compliant with Florida law and hopefully enough to discourage those who are not vaccinated. If not...perhaps they'll move on to your idea. 🙂

OK. So let’s imagine you have a ship with only 1,000 pax sailing from Florida. 100 of them cannot prove a vaccination. They must wear masks around the ship. How does the ship identify them to ensure they are following the rules? Are they going to put a stamp on their foreheads, or force them to wear a special armband? I don’t think so. This idea is not manageable.

11 minutes ago, Donald said:

OK. So let’s imagine you have a ship with only 1,000 pax sailing from Florida. 100 of them cannot prove a vaccination. They must wear masks around the ship. How does the ship identify them to ensure they are following the rules? Are they going to put a stamp on their foreheads, or force them to wear a special armband? I don’t think so. This idea is not manageable.

Special wristbands are worn at amusement parks, attractions and on at least one cruise line that I've been on (MSC). 

54 minutes ago, Donald said:

Heard that those who can prove vaccination would likely receive wristbands. Much better and more comfortable to wear than a mask. 🙂    They could also issue color coded keycards since everyone seems to wear one on a lanyard. 

It might be pretty simple.  Vaccinated people have different colored room cards/wrist bands.  All public areas of the ship you need to wear a mask, but the cruise line would change some number of venues, in line with the number of vaccinated guests and safety protocols, to be vaccinated only.  You want to eat at the buffet, show your wristband.  Want to lounge at the vaccinated (adult) pool without a mask, show your wristband.  Want to enter the comedy club/show on a vaccinated night so you don’t need to wear a mask, show your wrist band.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:11 PM, Donald said:

If on a Princess Cruise then required to carry the medallion. Also read somewhere that Disney has a similar device. They can't tell where you are but they can tell where the medallion is. I know bc I've lost mine and PSD has told me exactly where it was 

Edited by Ombud

On 6/16/2021 at 10:11 PM, Donald said:

The Celebrity proposal, as I understand it, allows all passengers, regardless of vax status. That meets the threshold of  Gov  DeSantis' litigation. But, vax  passengers would receive special privileges.

the concept of a colored wrist band or key card has been used on cruise ships for years. Keeps under aged people out of the clubs and bars.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, norwega said:

any thoughts on current status of sailings?  We are booked on 11/16 Crown Princess from FL.

A limited number of ships have started sailing from Florida ports already.  Princess doesn't start until early November if I remember correctly.  There is more Princess-specific discussion and information on the Princess board:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/