Recommendation for Small Camera

I currently have two Nikon bodies with two Nikkor zoom lenses that I take on cruises.

When it's safer to travel again, I am flying to Frankfurt and going on a land tour for four weeks followed by a month-long cruise.  I do not want to take my usual photography "set up" on the land tour so I'm hoping someone will suggest an alternative.

I do no have a cell phone, let alone a smartphone, so that's not a photography option.  Would someone please suggest a small digital camera that would be reliable and comfortable to use?  A friend has a Minolta underwater camera, and I am hoping someone will weigh in on the feasibility of that for my purpose, but also another alternative so I can compare.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

After many years, I surrendered my Canon PowerShot S120, as my pocket camera for cruising.  All of my indoor photos and quick-reaction photos when I did not have my regular camera were taken with that camera. 

Only slightly larger, I now use a Canon G7 MKIII.  It has good zoom and excellent RAW photos but a huge reason for my upgrade is this camera's video capability.  Another huge improvement is the 24-100mm zoom lens.  Add great stabilization and I am happy with my upgrade.

Although i have not yet tried it, the MKIII can live stream to YouTube.

In addition to the Canon G series, you may want to consider

• Panasonic LX100 Mark II / Leica D-Lux 7
  • Panasonic TS200 / Leica C Lux
  • Fujifilm X100V
  • Sony ZV1
  • Sony RX100

Most of these are based on 'one inch' sensors - the Fuji has a larger sensor, and a unique hybrid viewfinder.

For a compact interchangeable lens option, one of the smaller micro 4/3 bodies [OMD EM10 series; Pen-F] plus travel zoom [14-150] and a prime [17 f/1.8] might be a nice option.

We have three Sony mirrorless bodies: A6000, A6400, and A6500. My wife uses the A6400 with the kit 16-50mm pancake telephoto lens almost exclusively for her art projects. It is fairly small with the pancake telephoto attached and allows some variety with the 16-50mm length. But because it has the same lens mount as my two cameras, she has access, if need be, to the lens collection I use. 

I would suggest your choice of brand but a camera similar to this as it can meet your new criteria and still be expandable in the future.

At the top of the pack of bridge cameras (all in one) is the Sony RX10IV. Everything you can do with 95% of the mirrorless/DSLR cameras you can do with the Sony RX10IV. 20 mega pixels, RAW/Jpeg, every mode you have with a high end camera, built-in flash/shoe, incredible eye/face focus mode, 4K video ... and a constant F/4 24-600mm equivalent lens with power zoom ... the perfect travel camera. The RX10IV is heavy compared to most bridge cameras because of the incredible Zeiss lens ...

I own two A7iii bodies with excellent glass but for travel I take the RX10IV 😉

Picture taken yesterday  ... 600mm, 1/2000, F/4, ISO-1600, +2/3 EC

DSC04538-2.jpg

Taken last year - 600mm, 1/1600, F/4, EC +1

DSC05426-Edit.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies!

Next Thursday I am driving to Boston where there is still a "brick and mortar" camera shop to take a look at all your recommendations.

Stay safe,

Deb

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

At the top of the pack of bridge cameras (all in one) is the Sony RX10IV. Everything you can do with 95% of the mirrorless/DSLR cameras you can do with the Sony RX10IV. 20 mega pixels, RAW/Jpeg, every mode you have with a high end camera, built-in flash/shoe, incredible eye/face focus mode, 4K video ... and a constant F/4 24-600mm equivalent lens with power zoom ... the perfect travel camera. The RX10IV is heavy compared to most bridge cameras because of the incredible Zeiss lens ...

I own two A7iii bodies with excellent glass but for travel I take the RX10IV 😉

Picture taken yesterday  ... 600mm, 1/2000, F/4, ISO-1600, +2/3 EC

DSC04538-2.jpg

Taken last year - 600mm, 1/1600, F/4, EC +1

DSC05426-Edit.jpg

The only thing I would add (I carried the R100iv for several years and loved it) is that the two newest iterations - vi and vii, (I now carry the R100vi), have increased the zoom range from 24-70 to 24-200 (at the expense of about 1 stop at the max end - which is a very acceptable compromise in my thinking). Otherwise they are essentially identical.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:38 PM, TheOldBear said:

In addition to the Canon G series, you may want to consider

• Panasonic LX100 Mark II / Leica D-Lux 7
  • Panasonic TS200 / Leica C Lux
  • Fujifilm X100V
  • Sony ZV1
  • Sony RX100

Most of these are based on 'one inch' sensors - the Fuji has a larger sensor, and a unique hybrid viewfinder.

For a compact interchangeable lens option, one of the smaller micro 4/3 bodies [OMD EM10 series; Pen-F] plus travel zoom [14-150] and a prime [17 f/1.8] might be a nice option.

One upvote for ZV-1. I have had one for a year and the pictures and video are great. Also check out the ZV-E10 with interchangeable lens.