Best cruise line for 18-20 year olds?

I was looking at 2024 cruises and have one on hold but realized my oldest will be 18 at that time. He really enjoys the kids clubs presently but I'm worried he'll be board since his siblings will have kids clubs to go to and he will have no organized activities. What line offers the most fun and activities for the 18-20 year old set and also has kids clubs for the younger kids as well? 

Just now, cruisingguy007 said:

Care to elaborate? I'm wondering what kinds of things they have targeted at this group. 

They might have a young adult get together one night ...However at that age they will gravitate to each other ...no help usually needed. :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Never sailed Princess but was researching a cruise and they seem to have an informal 18 to 20 program.  Try lòok into it.  It's tough for that age group as the Kids Clubs have ended and they can't go the bars.  That being said on our last Celebrity cruise there were a lot in that age group and they did seem to find each other and have fun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

NCL has young adult meet-ups that my 19 and 20 years olds attended, plus parents can sign a waiver and they can order beer and wine.

Shame on them. Great reason to boycott them. IMneverHO. In case you don't know, the legal drinking age in the US is TWENTY-ONE. Get that? 21.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Shame on them. Great reason to boycott them. IMneverHO. In case you don't know, the legal drinking age in the US is TWENTY-ONE. Get that? 21.

RCI used to have the waiver many many years ago for ships sailing from US ports. Not any longer.

The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America or the Caribbean is twenty-one (21).

The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18). The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

And why is it your business if a parent decides to let their 20 year old order a beer?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

In many other countries 18 years old is the legal limit to drink alcohol so I guess some international parents would find it unusual their child wasn't allowed a glass of wine at the family dinner table. They adjust as it is various ship's rules but I think your outrage is rather extreme.

I found a Frommer's article which stipulates which cruise lines allow that waiver by parents in international waters

https://www.frommers.com/tips/cruise/can-i-sea-some-id-the-abcs-of-cruise-line-age-policies-2

7 hours ago, clo said:

I believe the rest of the world believes the drinking laws in the US are a bit ridiculous, and the drinking of age of 21 is not a federal law, but state laws, brought on in the 1980’s by MADD pressure. Any state can lower their drink ing age to 18, but will lose state highway funding. These cruise ships are not US ships, they can have their own rules. I’m not really concerned that 18 year olds are going to have issues with driving while intoxicated on a cruise ship (especially since they are able to purchase and consume alcohol at pretty much every port).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

Who cares?  When you are out cruising you aren't in the United States.  You can vote and join the military at that age, why shouldn't you be able to have a beer on the ship WITH the parents permission.

Silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Who cares?  When you are out cruising you aren't in the United States.  You can vote and join the military at that age, why shouldn't you be able to have a beer on the ship WITH the parents permission.

Silly.

It is absurd that is assumed that something magic happens on someone’s 21st birthday that makes him/her able to handle liquor when just one day earlier his/her parents were not capable of making some decision for him.

Of course comparing apples and turnips makes no sense. Someone who is 18 can be seen as mature enough to join the military where he will be closely guided and monitored by more experienced leaders - while arguably not experienced/mature enough to have the same voting power as his/her elders.  The necessary skill sets should be considered before arguing for a “one age fits all” approach to eligibility.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I would lean toward Royal Caribbean, especially their newer ships.  

17 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Care to elaborate? I'm wondering what kinds of things they have targeted at this group. 

Good advice.  Our last cruise was Quantum.  I can't list everything  off the top of my head.  Take a look at the deck plans and attractions/features. I think an 18 year old would have a great time.  Additionally, there will likely be a lot of other young folk to hang out with.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

I'm surprised you are promoting this requirement. You can drive a car at 16, but it is illegal to drink weak beer until 21.

Compared to the more reasonable requirement in Europe, in UK we thought it was tough, with legal age being 18. However, if eating with parents we could order a beer at 16.

I would second Royal. More to do. More chances of finding people their age. Seems like the best option to me. Carnival and NCL larger ships wouldn't be bad bets either.

But do kids 18-20 even want to cruise? While I can't speak for everyone, when I was at that age, hanging around a boat with a bunch of drunk people was not what I was looking for. It probably works out best if they can bring a friend or so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I would second Royal. More to do. More chances of finding people their age. Seems like the best option to me. Carnival and NCL larger ships wouldn't be bad bets either.

But do kids 18-20 even want to cruise? While I can't speak for everyone, when I was at that age, hanging around a boat with a bunch of drunk people was not what I was looking for. It probably works out best if they can bring a friend or so.

I've actually considered this and even spoke to him about that  and he is still excited to go. Of course, three years from now that may change. This would be a spring break cruise so there probably would be more folks his age. I also considered the friend angle but traveling outside the country with someone else's kids seems like a hassle. It says I'd need a note from both parents and it makes me worried something would happen at the terminal and cause a issue or something. Maybe I'm just being paranoid? I don't know. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I appreciate them.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I believe the rest of the world believes the drinking laws in the US are a bit ridiculous, and the drinking of age of 21 is not a federal law, but state laws, brought on in the 1980’s by MADD pressure. Any state can lower their drink ing age to 18, but will lose state highway funding. These cruise ships are not US ships, they can have their own rules. I’m not really concerned that 18 year olds are going to have issues with driving while intoxicated on a cruise ship (especially since they are able to purchase and consume alcohol at pretty much every port).

Good point, I hadn't really though of it that way. I went to Tijuana to drink when I wasn't 21. Had a great time. I actually totally forgot about the rule difference but you make a good argument. 

13 hours ago, clo said:

Just go away.

A kid can give his life in military service but can't have a beer? Just go away.

• Like 3

I don't really think there is one line or another that is "best" or "better" for that age bracket.

What I would look at more is age of ship and size of ship.

To echo what someone mentioned about the new RCCL ships, this probably wouldn't be a bad option.

But NCL has some great ships as well with TONS of options. The NCL Encore has the go-cart track, laser tag, VR arcade. All things I would have loved at 18. 

When I mention size it's because someone in that age may be underwhelmed by an older, smaller ship. Granted most ships are not that small any longer and especially since CCL got rid of most of it's smaller ships, this may not be as much of an issue.

Clearly they will love new ships and all they have to offer, gyms, activities, sports (if they have a basketball\soccer court)

I really think you can't go wrong with a new(er) ship from any line.

29 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Just go away.

A kid can give his life in military service but can't have a beer? Just go away.

Shush. It's another way that cruise lines get to have their cake and eat it to. Hey, in the US people likely get paid better, right?

3 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Did you have a stroke recently?

I said "shush." 

Do you realize that there's quite a difference between a teenager having a glass of wine at dinner with their parents and heading to the bars? It's an accident waiting to happen.

Edited by clo

40 minutes ago, clo said:

I said "shush." 

Do you realize that there's quite a difference between a teenager having a glass of wine at dinner with their parents and heading to the bars? It's an accident waiting to happen.

What?! 18 - 20 year olds all over the world can head to the bars. And truth be told, I honestly don’t know many that age in the US without fake ID anyway, and the majority are in college at parties every weekend (with some weekday daging thrown in). I gave my (adult) kids permission, but since they were responsible for their bar tabs, they probably had 10 drinks total (except at dinner when we paid) and spent most of their beer money off the ship. I’m guessing the legal drinking age was still 18 when you were younger?

On 5/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

Gladly. If nothing else, it gets the thread back on topic from the usual hijacker. 🙄

Royal Caribbean’s newer ships are full of physical activities that can be very attractive to a 18 year old. Things like Flowrider, zip line, water slides, ice skating, sky diving, etc.  Carnival and NCL also have many similar amenities but to me, Royal Caribbean has been a better overall experience. 

• Like 2