MCO Flight Time Changes

Just received notice that our flight times have changed. Instead of leaving at 5:30PM, they moved it to 12:45PM. I have to make the decision whether to take an extra day off work or drive. If we drive, I probably still have to take the day off work and drive ~9 hours. Beyond that there are other decisions financially that make it a little more difficult. I am leaning toward option 2 and 3 (still leaning towards 3 more).

Option 1: Drive (save $300 for flights), save airport parking ($75), hotel and parking at Port Canaveral (+$200). Net is I save about $175 but adds 18 hours of driving

Option 2: Keep the flights, take the extra day off work, get in at 2:30PM, and get a Port Canaveral hotel (+ $200). It has us in port earlier but adds unnecessary expense that we had not planned on.

Option 3: Keep the flights, take an extra day off work, and get in about 2:30PM. We would still stay near MCO in a free hotel and everything is the same as it is now.

Flight home?

Normally a 12:45 departure is easy to make, with the Trip from PC to MCO taking about an hour. But with uncertainty about post cruise screening, it's hard to tell if that is still a safe flight time.

If it is pre-cruise then I suggest staying in Orlando and making your way to PC the next morning.  Free hotel? 🤔

Yes, it is pre-cruise into MCO. I have points and they are only good near MCO or Disney World. I think the only way I would stay in Port Canaveral is if we drive down. Either way it requires me taking an extra day off work. Driving has its advantage where I don't have to worry about luggage, shuttles, Uber, etc. However it is at the expense of an 8-9 hour drive each way. I would save ~$300 driving though overall. That is price difference of flying, shuttles, airport parking for my vehicle, etc. 

Our return flights moved from 3PM to I think 4:30PM. That is not a big issue.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
7 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Just received notice that our flight times have changed. Instead of leaving at 5:30PM, they moved it to 12:45PM. I have to make the decision whether to take an extra day off work or drive. If we drive, I probably still have to take the day off work and drive ~9 hours. Beyond that there are other decisions financially that make it a little more difficult. I am leaning toward option 2 and 3 (still leaning towards 3 more).

Option 1: Drive (save $300 for flights), save airport parking ($75), hotel and parking at Port Canaveral (+$200). Net is I save about $175 but adds 18 hours of driving

Option 2: Keep the flights, take the extra day off work, get in at 2:30PM, and get a Port Canaveral hotel (+ $200). It has us in port earlier but adds unnecessary expense that we had not planned on.

Option 3: Keep the flights, take an extra day off work, and get in about 2:30PM. We would still stay near MCO in a free hotel and everything is the same as it is now.

Who are you flying with? Most airlines will change the flight you can’t make  We fly Southwest for many reasons, one is just for this type problem. Have had your problem on a few occasions, just recently this week. Was switched from non stop flights to 1 stop on our round trip. Called and got our non stops back with no trouble.

We are on Southwest. We are also on the only non-stop flights for the flight down and home. The flight down was changed from 5:30PM to 12:30PM. The return flight was changed from 3:00PM to 4:15PM.  The changed their entire MCO schedule around on those dates, so not much to do. 

The more I am thinking about it, the more I am starting to lean towards driving. The reason is we need a return flight on our Thanksgiving cruise from MCO. I can roll this credit/refund to that return flight. For the summer trip, I would save nearly $300 with driving down between parking fees at home airport, cost difference between flying and driving, and that includes the cost of a hotel at PC. Since I would have to take Friday off work either way, driving down will still get me there earlier than flying. I wake up at 2-3AM. Just throw the wife and daughter in the car, let them sleep until we get to Kingsland for a quick bite and coffee, then into PC around 11AM.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

We are on Southwest. We are also on the only non-stop flights for the flight down and home. The flight down was changed from 5:30PM to 12:30PM. The return flight was changed from 3:00PM to 4:15PM.  The changed their entire MCO schedule around on those dates, so not much to do. 

The more I am thinking about it, the more I am starting to lean towards driving. The reason is we need a return flight on our Thanksgiving cruise from MCO. I can roll this credit/refund to that return flight. For the summer trip, I would save nearly $300 with driving down between parking fees at home airport, cost difference between flying and driving, and that includes the cost of a hotel at PC. Since I would have to take Friday off work either way, driving down will still get me there earlier than flying. I wake up at 2-3AM. Just throw the wife and daughter in the car, let them sleep until we get to Kingsland for a quick bite and coffee, then into PC around 11AM.

Where would you be driving from and have you driven to PC before?

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

Where would you be driving from and have you driven to PC before?

I have driven to Disney World many times from north and south. I have driven through/past Port Canaveral many times as well. I am familiar with the I-95 corridor. Lived next to it my whole life.