Jump to content

Endeavor Sail Away Theme Songs


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

In CRYSTAL EXPEDITION CRUISES™, FEATURED POSTS

SAIL-AWAY SONG CONTEST INVITES CRYSTAL SOCIETY MEMBERS TO PICK A SPECIAL SONG FOR CRYSTAL ENDEAVOR

Posted on May 5, 2021

Crystal-Endeavor-Exterior.jpg

Crystal Extends a Beloved Sail-Away Tradition Aboard New Luxury Expedition Yacht

Imagine a sleek, yacht-like cruise ship departing as the sun sets, guests on the open deck with champagne in hand while the melodies of Louis Armstrong’s What a Wonderful World float out across the water. It is the perfect musical backdrop for a sublime moment of emotion and anticipation as travelers toast new adventures to come.

What began as a lovely added touch in 1990, when Crystal Harmony first left San Francisco harbor on its maiden voyage, has become a longstanding tradition beloved by the award-winning line’s loyal guests.

Armstrong’s What a Wonderful World has become a mainstay aboard Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony, while each new Crystal Experience has adopted a special tune to suit its individual character – Moon River for Crystal River Cruises and Somewhere over the Rainbow for Crystal Yacht Cruises. For Crystal Endeavor, What a Wonderful World has been chosen to be the official sail away song.

Now Crystal is inviting Crystal Society Members to help personalize this magical moment for the line’s intrepid new expedition yacht by choosing a second sail-away song to follow What a Wonderful World aboard Crystal Endeavor. The newly chosen song will extend the sail-away celebration, offering guests a musical invitation to linger in the moment and giving Crystal Endeavor a sail-away experience all its own.  

“The sail-away celebration is full of anticipation and excitement,” said Keith Cox, Crystal’s vice president of entertainment. “It’s a special time of camaraderie and conviviality among our guests where you see toasts and conversation, friendships old and new. It’s fitting to have our Crystal Society Members help us chose a personally meaningful song for Crystal Endeavor because they helped to create this special tradition and it truly belongs to them.”

Crystal Society Members can vote for one of five choices for Crystal Endeavor’s additional sail-away song – all of which are featured on a Spotify playlist curated by Crystal Society members, featuring songs that most remind them of their Crystal experiences in commemoration of Crystal’s 30th Anniversary in 2020.

Choices for Crystal Endeavor’s Sail-Away Song Contest include: Somewhere Over the Rainbow & What a Wonderful World medley by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole; Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin; Sailing by Christopher Cross; Time to Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli; and In the Groove by Richard Elliot. The Crystal: Sailing Through 30 Years playlist is available for download on Spotify, allowing travelers to listen to the songs and decide which melody should follow What a Wonderful World aboard Crystal Endeavor.

Voting opens May 5, 2021, and closes May 18, 2021, allowing Crystals Society Members to submit their choices via this online form and play a part in Crystal Endeavor’s history by creating an enduring soundtrack for expeditions to come.

Designed to the highest standards of renowned German engineering, Crystal Endeavor will be the world’s fastest, most powerful, and most spacious expedition yacht, with a Polar Class 6 (PC6) classification that enables her to sail in the Arctic and Antarctic regions.

Built to accommodate just 200 guests, Crystal Endeavor will deliver the personal service and world-class experiences for which Crystal is known, all while traveling to the far reaches of the globe. From Michelin-inspired dining options including Master Chef Nobu Matsuhisa’s Umi Uma & Sushi Bar, to a state-of-the-art fitness center, and the only casino on an expedition yacht, Crystal Endeavor has been designed to exceed every expectation of luxury travel while exploring the world’s most remote settings. 

Crystal Endeavor will embark upon her inaugural voyages this summer with Luxury Iceland Expeditions, five consecutive 10-night voyages circumnavigating Iceland and exploring the Arctic Circle, from pristine fjords and glaciated tundra to geothermal springs and thundering waterfalls. Voyages depart roundtrip from Reykjavík, beginning July 17, 2021, with fares starting at $13,999, per person, double occupancy, when booked by May 19, 2021.

As the song says, it is a “Wonderful World”, and Crystal Endeavor is ready to explore it.

 

 

 

"Beyond the Sea" gets our votes.

Edited by flyingshoes
Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad they didn't give an option for "Ut Mot Havet".

 

Have a copy on my iPod, and play it as we sail away.  Good memories with that song.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Too bad they didn't give an option for "Ut Mot Havet".

 

Have a copy on my iPod, and play it as we sail away.  Good memories with that song.

 

Likewise. We were so disappointed when it was discontinued as sail-away song #2.

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Too bad they didn't give an option for "Ut Mot Havet".

 

Have a copy on my iPod, and play it as we sail away.  Good memories with that song.


Condidering it was removed by passenger complaints, I’m not surprised, but still disappointed.  I still play it on my earbuds for sail-away often.

 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BWIVince said:


Condidering it was removed by passenger complaints, I’m not surprised, but still disappointed.  I still play it on my earbuds for sail-away often.

 

Vince

 

Pretty.  I suppose lack of familiarity drove the complaints?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BWIVince said:


Condidering it was removed by passenger complaints, I’m not surprised, but still disappointed.  I still play it on my earbuds for sail-away often.

 

Vince

 

Wha?  Can you expand on that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, flyingshoes said:

 

Pretty.  I suppose lack of familiarity drove the complaints?

 


The complaint at the time, or so we were told when we counter-complained, was the song was too dark and depressing, and reminded people of a funeral dirge.  Passengers wanted something more upbeat for the occasion. Long story short, Louis stayed, and Ut Mot Havet departed.  😞 (For many years they were played in sequence, for our newer CS members that weren’t around back then.)

 

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BWIVince said:


The complaint at the time, or so we were told when we counter-complained, was the song was too dark and depressing, and reminded people of a funeral dirge.  Passengers wanted something more upbeat for the occasion. Long story short, Louis stayed, and Ut Mot Havet departed.  😞 

 

Vince

 

Huh. Well, we're in the camp with those who have it on our portable devices.  As to the complainers, the phrase "more money than taste" comes to mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KenzSailing said:

 

Huh. Well, we're in the camp with those who have it on our portable devices.  As to the complainers, the phrase "more money than taste" comes to mind.


Agreed!  I travel with both earbuds and a good Bluetooth speaker…. I can replicate the experience anytime I want, so it wasn’t the hill I wanted to die on. But I was shocked that there was such resistance to the song.  It had never even occurred to me.  I had guessed it was a licensing issue at first, but that was quickly disproven by the prolific availability via different channels.

 

Vince

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BWIVince said:


Agreed!  I travel with both earbuds and a good Bluetooth speaker…. I can replicate the experience anytime I want, so it wasn’t the hill I wanted to die on. But I was shocked that there was such resistance to the song.  It had never even occurred to me.  I had guessed it was a licensing issue at first, but that was quickly disproven by the prolific availability via different channels.

 

Vince

 

So now I'm thinking about descriptors for Ut Mot Havet:

 

Tranquil

Pastoral

Contemplative

Soothing

Reflective

 

But funeral dirge?  Nah.  That would only occur to the crowd who, as the old American joke goes, when they hear the "William Tell Overture" think only of the theme to "The Lone Ranger."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We got the “guest-dirge-complaints” explanation when we enquired onboard, too. Funny, our informal poll at the time revealed more approval of the composition than dislike. We may never know who/why/who had such influence to remove the #2 sail-away. We also play it thru earbuds during sail-away.

 

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a sorta unrelated stream of memory, the #2 sail-away broadcast after Louis on the Symphony’s first season to Alaska was “North to Alaska”. Very appropriate.

 

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The #2 song on the inaugural cruise through the Northwest Passage, was Stan Rogers song of the same name.  It has been called the unofficial Canadian national anthem

 

Edited by crickette
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

But funeral dirge?  Nah.  That would only occur to the crowd who, as the old American joke goes, when they hear the "William Tell Overture" think only of the theme to "The Lone Ranger."

 

Completely off-topic, but in the 60s, a cigarette brand named Lark used that music with a rolling camera - telling people to show their Lark pack of cigarettes.  It was perfectly setup for a commercial by Stan Freberg, a master of parody, for Jeno's pizza rolls.  At a fancy party, folks are asked to show their pack of pizza rolls.  With a perfect ending that I won't spoil by describing.

 

First, the Lark ad:

 

 

And the Jeno's:

 

 

Enjoy!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

 

So now I'm thinking about descriptors for Ut Mot Havet:

 

Tranquil

Pastoral

Contemplative

Soothing

Reflective

 

But funeral dirge?  Nah.  That would only occur to the crowd who, as the old American joke goes, when they hear the "William Tell Overture" think only of the theme to "The Lone Ranger."

 

Before we found out what it actually was, I used to joke that it was a Norwegian beer drinking song!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

In CRYSTAL EXPEDITION CRUISES™, FEATURED POSTS

SAIL-AWAY SONG CONTEST INVITES CRYSTAL SOCIETY MEMBERS TO PICK A SPECIAL SONG FOR CRYSTAL ENDEAVOR

Posted on May 5, 2021

Crystal-Endeavor-Exterior.jpg

Crystal Extends a Beloved Sail-Away Tradition Aboard New Luxury Expedition Yacht

Imagine a sleek, yacht-like cruise ship departing as the sun sets, guests on the open deck with champagne in hand while the melodies of Louis Armstrong’s What a Wonderful World float out across the water. It is the perfect musical backdrop for a sublime moment of emotion and anticipation as travelers toast new adventures to come.

What began as a lovely added touch in 1990, when Crystal Harmony first left San Francisco harbor on its maiden voyage, has become a longstanding tradition beloved by the award-winning line’s loyal guests.

Armstrong’s What a Wonderful World has become a mainstay aboard Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony, while each new Crystal Experience has adopted a special tune to suit its individual character – Moon River for Crystal River Cruises and Somewhere over the Rainbow for Crystal Yacht Cruises. For Crystal Endeavor, What a Wonderful World has been chosen to be the official sail away song.

Now Crystal is inviting Crystal Society Members to help personalize this magical moment for the line’s intrepid new expedition yacht by choosing a second sail-away song to follow What a Wonderful World aboard Crystal Endeavor. The newly chosen song will extend the sail-away celebration, offering guests a musical invitation to linger in the moment and giving Crystal Endeavor a sail-away experience all its own.  

“The sail-away celebration is full of anticipation and excitement,” said Keith Cox, Crystal’s vice president of entertainment. “It’s a special time of camaraderie and conviviality among our guests where you see toasts and conversation, friendships old and new. It’s fitting to have our Crystal Society Members help us chose a personally meaningful song for Crystal Endeavor because they helped to create this special tradition and it truly belongs to them.”

Crystal Society Members can vote for one of five choices for Crystal Endeavor’s additional sail-away song – all of which are featured on a Spotify playlist curated by Crystal Society members, featuring songs that most remind them of their Crystal experiences in commemoration of Crystal’s 30th Anniversary in 2020.

Choices for Crystal Endeavor’s Sail-Away Song Contest include: Somewhere Over the Rainbow & What a Wonderful World medley by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole; Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin; Sailing by Christopher Cross; Time to Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli; and In the Groove by Richard Elliot. The Crystal: Sailing Through 30 Years playlist is available for download on Spotify, allowing travelers to listen to the songs and decide which melody should follow What a Wonderful World aboard Crystal Endeavor.

Voting opens May 5, 2021, and closes May 18, 2021, allowing Crystals Society Members to submit their choices via this online form and play a part in Crystal Endeavor’s history by creating an enduring soundtrack for expeditions to come.

Designed to the highest standards of renowned German engineering, Crystal Endeavor will be the world’s fastest, most powerful, and most spacious expedition yacht, with a Polar Class 6 (PC6) classification that enables her to sail in the Arctic and Antarctic regions.

Built to accommodate just 200 guests, Crystal Endeavor will deliver the personal service and world-class experiences for which Crystal is known, all while traveling to the far reaches of the globe. From Michelin-inspired dining options including Master Chef Nobu Matsuhisa’s Umi Uma & Sushi Bar, to a state-of-the-art fitness center, and the only casino on an expedition yacht, Crystal Endeavor has been designed to exceed every expectation of luxury travel while exploring the world’s most remote settings. 

Crystal Endeavor will embark upon her inaugural voyages this summer with Luxury Iceland Expeditions, five consecutive 10-night voyages circumnavigating Iceland and exploring the Arctic Circle, from pristine fjords and glaciated tundra to geothermal springs and thundering waterfalls. Voyages depart roundtrip from Reykjavík, beginning July 17, 2021, with fares starting at $13,999, per person, double occupancy, when booked by May 19, 2021.

As the song says, it is a “Wonderful World”, and Crystal Endeavor is ready to explore it.

 

 

 

"Beyond the Sea" gets our votes.

“Beyond the Sea” is a personal favorite of ours, so it got our vote too! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

“Beyond the sea” for me also but I would prefer it in the original french version from Charles Trenet. My second choice would be “Sailing” from Christopher Cross. 
 

I could not vote. It asks to register with a google account which I do not have.

Ivi

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 8:57 AM, travelberlin said:

I could not vote. It asks to register with a google account which I do not have.

Ivi

Same here. It looks like signing in with a Google account is required for accessing the online voting form. That's disappointing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that Crystal wants continuity of theme amongst the fleet. However, Endeavor is an expedition ship, a ship of adventure and exploration. All of the available choices are familiar, warm and fuzzy. I'd much rather hear something like the theme from Chariots of Fire by Vangelis,

or his theme from Conquest of Paradise.

 

Music with strength, power, aspiration, and inspiration is more relevant for a ship that will follow in the paths of explorers like Shackleton, Scott, Amundsen, Ross and Peary. Please Crystal, give us something more to choose from.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...