Jump to content

Recommended Posts

How many people will be allowed in the elevator at one time?    I'm not looking forward to climbing up several flights of stairs to get to the buffet!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good question.  Hopefully with the ship only sailing at 50%, there will less crowds.  But I have been in large elevators with only 4 circles (social distancing).  This will be very problematic since many will be those who have no other choice but to take an elevator (walkers/canes/wheelchairs/others).

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Very good question.  Hopefully with the ship only sailing at 50%, there will less crowds.  But I have been in large elevators with only 4 circles (social distancing).  This will be very problematic since many will be those who have no other choice but to take an elevator (walkers/canes/wheelchairs/others).

Should there be a couple of elevators designated for handicap?

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

 

To reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise ship operators mus

  •  
    • Elevators and Stairwells
      • Limit capacity, provide floor markings, and provide marked queuing areas to eliminate congregation
      • Use floor markings in elevator lobbies and near the entrance to escalators to reinforce social distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters). Place decals inside the elevator to identify where passengers should stand, if needed.
      • Post signs reminding occupants to minimize surface touching. They should use an object (such as a pen cap) or their knuckle to push elevator buttons.

 

  • Elevators and Stairwells
  • Encourage occupants to take stairs when possible, especially when elevator lobbies are crowded or when only going a few flights.
  • Where feasible, designate certain stairwells or sides of stairwells as “up” and “down” to better promote social distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters).
  • Use stanchions (for lobbies only; not inside elevators) or other ways to mark pathways to help people travel in one direction and stay 6 feet (2 meters)
  • Consider limiting the number of people in an elevator.
  • Encourage escalator and elevator passengers to wash their hands and avoid touching their face after holding on to handrails or touching buttons.
  • Consider adding supplemental air ventilation or local air treatment devices in frequently used elevator cars.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dog said:

Should there be a couple of elevators designated for handicap?

Possibly an attendant to limit numbers on elevators?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, caribill said:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

 

To reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise ship operators mus

  •  
    • Elevators and Stairwells
      • Limit capacity, provide floor markings, and provide marked queuing areas to eliminate congregation
      • Use floor markings in elevator lobbies and near the entrance to escalators to reinforce social distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters). Place decals inside the elevator to identify where passengers should stand, if needed.
      • Post signs reminding occupants to minimize surface touching. They should use an object (such as a pen cap) or their knuckle to push elevator buttons.

 

  • Elevators and Stairwells
  • Encourage occupants to take stairs when possible, especially when elevator lobbies are crowded or when only going a few flights.
  • Where feasible, designate certain stairwells or sides of stairwells as “up” and “down” to better promote social distancing of at least 6 feet (2 meters).
  • Use stanchions (for lobbies only; not inside elevators) or other ways to mark pathways to help people travel in one direction and stay 6 feet (2 meters)
  • Consider limiting the number of people in an elevator.
  • Encourage escalator and elevator passengers to wash their hands and avoid touching their face after holding on to handrails or touching buttons.
  • Consider adding supplemental air ventilation or local air treatment devices in frequently used elevator cars.

 

Wow......sounds like the stairwells could get jammed because they are not that wide on some ships and become another place for Covid-19 to hover if it is on board......

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one thing that isn't an adjustment for me.  Rarely use the elevators on a ship.  I stopped going to buffet area several years ago.  Managed to be on Emerald Princess for 30 days without visiting the buffet.  It wasn't difficult, plus didn't use the elevators.  Buffets have never been my thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dog said:

Possibly an attendant to limit numbers on elevators?

If there was an attendant in each elevator...that would reduce the # of passengers in each elevator. Plus, require a lot of crew members who could be doing something else.

If you have an attendant in the elevator lobby (like what they do on embarkation day) that would also require a lot of crew members. Not as many as being located IN the elevators, but still a significant number of crew.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

If there was an attendant in each elevator...that would reduce the # of passengers in each elevator. Plus, require a lot of crew members who could be doing something else.

If you have an attendant in the elevator lobby (like what they do on embarkation day) that would also require a lot of crew members. Not as many as being located IN the elevators, but still a significant number of crew.


just an idea. 
 

only here to share

 

never to debate

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, swifty said:

How many people will be allowed in the elevator at one time?    I'm not looking forward to climbing up several flights of stairs to get to the buffet!

🤨 so the swifty part doesn't apply anymore ?  I have a greater chance of contamination on the elevator at work than on a ship where passengers and crew are vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've always tried to stay out of elevators as much as possible, and I surely can't see that changing now. I'm lucky enough to be able to still drag my weary carcass up the stairs as long as I don't try to do all the decks all at once. These days, we go up a few decks then walk down a hall before continuing on up. I'm not sure how they're going to be able to limit capacity in elevators. Others have mentioned the problems with that, and I agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dog said:

Should there be a couple of elevators designated for handicap?

Then what is the definition of handicapped ?  

 

To look at me, I do not appear handicapped.No wheelchair, walking stick, Zimmer frame.

 

Would that prevent me from using the designated lift?

 

In fact I have an autoimmune disease which causes problems walking down the stairs ! I can do it, as long as I have a rail to grab onto and would cause a huge queue behind me, due to the (lack of) speed I move at.

 

Maybe escalators (moving staircases) could be installed ??

Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be ways to limit the number of passengers on elevators.  I know one building in Chicago placed a large tube like structure in the middle of the elevators and that reduced the total to about 4-6 people per elevator when they could jam in about 10 or so usually.  And the only time it would be a major issue is during disembarkation.

 

Personally, going down stairs is not a big deal, but going up is.  Not sure why my knees only bother me when I go up...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

We've always tried to stay out of elevators as much as possible, and I surely can't see that changing now. I'm lucky enough to be able to still drag my weary carcass up the stairs as long as I don't try to do all the decks all at once. These days, we go up a few decks then walk down a hall before continuing on up. I'm not sure how they're going to be able to limit capacity in elevators. Others have mentioned the problems with that, and I agree.

 

👍

 

I've been using that technique for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dog said:

Should there be a couple of elevators designated for handicap?

 

The problem w handicapped people in elevators (yes - I know that they can't get up and down w/o elevators) is that some lines have lots of people w electric carts and you could only get 2 of those carts in an elevator at a time.  Can you imagine the elevator lines that would result especially after a function such as a show or bingo.  Unfortunately, I don't have any obvious solution to the problem.

 

DON

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

 

The problem w handicapped people in elevators (yes - I know that they can't get up and down w/o elevators) is that some lines have lots of people w electric carts and you could only get 2 of those carts in an elevator at a time.  Can you imagine the elevator lines that would result especially after a function such as a show or bingo.  Unfortunately, I don't have any obvious solution to the problem.

 

DON

Smaller cruise ships with less decks.🤦‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dog said:

Possibly an attendant to limit numbers on elevators?

 

 I remember the days when they had lift operators on ships, however would this not reduce the capacity by 25% if four people are allowed in a lift during covid restrictions/

 

Regards John

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is any elevator an issue?  One isn't in one that long so even if exposed to the virus, it shouldn't be long enough to cause an infection.  I'm basing this on the premise that one has to be exposed for more than 15 minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

 I'm not sure how they're going to be able to limit capacity in elevators.

 

It usually depends on the willingness of the passengers to cooperate.

 

Where I have seen this on land, a sign usually says four people to an elevator, one standing in each corner. When people see that an elevator has four people in it, they do not try to also get in. Will this relying on people to self-regulate work on a cruise ship? (I do not know.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

 

What buffet?

The one where they serve you rather than you help yourself to the food. We actually had this on our last HAL cruise, and it was fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's put hand sanitizers outside all elevators and stairways.  And the elevator door will only open if you have used the hand sanitizer.  It recognizes if you have used it.  So what happens if there is a crowd outside the elevator and someone uses the hand machine;  the elevator door opens and everyone piles in;  even those who haven't used the hand sanitizer machine.  I really have not clue as to what the cruise lines are working on for the elevator situation.  We shall see in June when the lines start up again.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, caribill said:

 

 

It usually depends on the willingness of the passengers to cooperate.

 

Where I have seen this on land, a sign usually says four people to an elevator, one standing in each corner. When people see that an elevator has four people in it, they do not try to also get in. Will this relying on people to self-regulate work on a cruise ship? (I do not know.)

I agree that it usually depends on the willingness to cooperate, but given the amount of elevator cooperation I've seen over the years it seems doubtful to me. I'm specifically thinking of the many people I've seen who crowd into an already crowded elevator and then refuse to get out when the elevator won't go anywhere due to overload. We saw this pretty much every time we got into one of the smaller elevators that are aft on some Princess ships. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...