Question??? Why does the CDC and Biden hate the cruise industry

Just read the latest from the CDC, and cannot believe the harshness of there rules. I believe it is there way of discouraging cruising, how can anyone eat wearing a mask while chewing there food.

The rules they want the industry to follow are not what any restaurant in the U.S. follows so why on a ship!!!!

Also why did we get vaccinated, the CDC says we cannot spread or get the covid if vaccinated but we need masks HUH!!!!

Am I the only one confused by this inept agency.

5 hours ago, waltlin37 said:

Just read the latest from the CDC, and cannot believe the harshness of there rules. I believe it is there way of discouraging cruising, how can anyone eat wearing a mask while chewing there food.

The rules they want the industry to follow are not what any restaurant in the U.S. follows so why on a ship!!!!

Also why did we get vaccinated, the CDC says we cannot spread or get the covid if vaccinated but we need masks HUH!!!!

Hello Waltin37, could you please share the information/link where you found where people need to wear a mask while chewing food? I came upon an article from the Associated Press that seems to fall inline with what has been said for quite sometime. Including what other lines have done in other countries.

I see you are in Florida (lucky you), Florida is wide open compared to other parts of the USA and the world. So I can see where this seems very constrictive to you. I'm from Minnesota and in the next month we will loosen up, but not totally.

I'm a Conservative living in California for 75 years so living in the land of Fruits and Nuts gives me an interesting perspective on US life in these times.

I'm guessing that because the first Big News about Covid-19 Deaths was on Cruise Ships in California and how things were mishandled that the Government is doing everything to Look like it's acting in a Proactive way ?

Treating Cruise Lines that are based Outside of the US but use US ports like they are Anti Union Non Tax paying Money Mongers ignores the Fact that Hundreds of Thousands of US Jobs and are filled by people who are associated with the Cruise, Hotel and Tourist business . Also the Logistic and Supply side including the Airlines that are part of that system.

Alaska is particularly hard hit for what would be a Second Tourist Season.

The Cruise Lines have done More to show they are looking out for my Safety than any other sector of the economy so I think it's time to open things up again.

DB,

You are a brave person to live there as a conservative.  I can't imagine a more frustrating place to live except maybe Portland or Seattle.

Hang in there!

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2021 at 11:29 AM, Mike981 said:

Hello Waltin37, could you please share the information/link where you found where people need to wear a mask while chewing food?

“The CDC makes clear that it expects guests and crew, as well as port personnel, to wear masks in indoor and outdoor areas except for brief periods while eating and drinking and says that ‘removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.’ “

The implication is quite clear; you may not sit around a table - or bar, for that matter - enjoying food or drink at your leisure.  You may grab a bite, take a sip, then mask up again.  Anything else “would constitute a violation of this Order”!  

Oh.....and they’ll be watching, either in person or “remotely”!        
   🎶 Dum de dum dum 🎶

Edited by Candlesmith
46 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

DB,

You are a brave person to live there as a conservative.  I can't imagine a more frustrating place to live except maybe Portland or Seattle.

Hang in there!

😅😂 Except Baltimore....or maybe Minneapolis....or . . . .

Life us tough for Conservatives these days.  All over.

Sign me,

35 years a Baltimorian

well I guess  NCL said it all!!!! this order was a no sail order in just another form. Oh but they can have 45K fans most that I saw without MASKS ( oh did I hear social distancing)

16 hours ago, Candlesmith said:

😅😂 Except Baltimore....or maybe Minneapolis....or . . . .

Life us tough for Conservatives these days.  All over.

Sign me,

35 years a Baltimorian

Yeah, I agree.  Not much better here.  Out of the the 50+ years in the Baltimore area, I only lived in the city proper for about 3 years but Maryland in general is not a good place for people who want to work, obey the law, and expect others to do the same.  Of course, much of that was helped along by the legacy of Nancy Pelosi's father.

Waitlin37,

Yeah, isn't that amazing.  The biggest cruise ships only carries about one-eighth that sized crowd!

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2021 at 10:43 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

This seems to be a loaded "When did you stop beating your wife" type question. It asks why without establishing the premise as a fact.

I would say that the NCL CEO established the question as fact!!!!!

Edited by waltlin37
On 5/7/2021 at 6:12 PM, Candlesmith said:

“The CDC makes clear that it expects guests and crew, as well as port personnel, to wear masks in indoor and outdoor areas except for brief periods while eating and drinking and says that ‘removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order.’ “

The implication is quite clear; you may not sit around a table - or bar, for that matter - enjoying food or drink at your leisure.  You may grab a bite, take a sip, then mask up again.  Anything else “would constitute a violation of this Order”!  

🎶 Dum de dum dum 🎶

Again, can you please share a link to where the CDC said this?

9 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Again, can you please share a link to where the CDC said this?

Here's the more authoritative source directly from the CDC. Look under the "Mask Use" subheading".

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html#mask-use

Though I wouldn't interpret it as requiring you to put the mask on between bites, as some here have. I envision it more as while you're actively eating that course, leave it off. While you're awaiting the next course, put it back on.

13 hours ago, waltlin37 said:

I would say that the NCL CEO established the question as fact!!!!!

First of all, Frank Del Rio never said either Biden hates cruising nor the CDC hates cruising. But even if he had, that wouldn't establish the premise as fact. If I said "waitlin37 hates cruising", would that prove it was a fact? Of course not.

Hey, I'm frustrated by the CDC's new guidance too. But that's no reason to go "off the deep end" irrational over it. Rather than some outrageous premise, doesn't the explanation that the CDC is just being exceedingly cautious strike you as more reasonable?

23 hours ago, huskerdan25 said:

Make it up? No.
Allowing feelings and frustration into their opinions? Most likely.

17 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Here's the more authoritative source directly from the CDC. Look under the "Mask Use" subheading".

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html#mask-use

Though I wouldn't interpret it as requiring you to put the mask on between bites, as some here have. I envision it more as while you're actively eating that course, leave it off. While you're awaiting the next course, put it back on.

Thank you.

17 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

First of all, Frank Del Rio never said either Biden hates cruising nor the CDC hates cruising. But even if he had, that wouldn't establish the premise as fact. If I said "waitlin37 hates cruising", would that prove it was a fact? Of course not.

Hey, I'm frustrated by the CDC's new guidance too. But that's no reason to go "off the deep end" irrational over it. Rather than some outrageous premise, doesn't the explanation that the CDC is just being exceedingly cautious strike you as more reasonable?

Well said.

• 3 weeks later...

Biden signed the law allowing cruise ships to skip Canada so sailings to Alaska can go ahead this year.  Pretty strong evidence that he does not hate cruising.  

The CDC just significantly lifted the masking and social distancing requirements for 95% vaccinated cruises.  Seems like they don’t hate cruises either.  They just want them to be safe.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Celebrity Edge out of Ft Lauderdale on a paying cruise with 95% vaccinated passengers.  We will soon know who believes in the free market and who does not.

As a vaccinated individual I believe I have a right to purchase a ticket on a fully vaccinated cruise.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, waltlin37 said:

Well waltlin37, your thread hasn’t aged well In the three weeks since you created it. Instead of hate, what I’ve seen is lots of love. Biden signed into law the Alaska Tourism Restoration Act paving the way to resume cruising to Alaska from US ports, the CDC has greatly eased the requirements to cruise, and they even approved the start of cruises from US waters on June 26th, before many expected it. It seems like the biggest obstacle to cruise resumption now is the governor of Florida.  

Maybe your next post should be titled “Why does DeSantis hate the cruise industry?”, but the way that things are evolving, it probably  won’t age well either. 

23 hours ago, Tapi said:

Well waltlin37, your thread hasn’t aged well In the three weeks since you created it. Instead of hate, what I’ve seen is lots of love. Biden signed into law the Alaska Tourism Restoration Act paving the way to resume cruising to Alaska from US ports, the CDC has greatly eased the requirements to cruise, and they even approved the start of cruises from US waters on June 26th, before many expected it. It seems like the biggest obstacle to cruise resumption now is the governor of Florida.  

Maybe your next post should be titled “Why does DeSantis hate the cruise industry?”, but the way that things are evolving, it probably  won’t age well either. 

The new bill is a definite improvement on a very small segment of the cruise industry sponsored by RINO senator Murkowski.  But the recent support is still way slower than help for other parts of the travel industry and other industries. 

I with you on DeSantis, he used to be one of my favorite governors...

On 5/7/2021 at 5:12 PM, Candlesmith said:

🎶 Dum de dum dum 🎶

In a typical dinner service that takes 90 minutes, realistically, you are eating for about 20-30 minutes of it.  Noone is going to go around while you are waiting for your entree and tell you to put on your mask, so it is a moot point. 

It makes MUCH more sense to be restrictive at the beginning and then relaxing the rules than have problems and then over-react to the problem.  

I don’t know if the Biden Administration is opposed to the cruise industry, but I am a bit surprised that the green wing of the party did not mount some opposition to the Alaska Tourism Recover Act on the grounds that Cruise Industry is a huge fossil fuel consumer.