Europe 2021 cancelled?

With Azamara returning to service out of Greece this summer, the former Royal Caribbean-owned cruise line has now released its ‘Explore Well at Sea’ health and safety protocols. All guests will need to be fully vaccinated to be allowed to cruise.

Azamara Health Measures

The boutique cruise line has announced its ‘Explore Well at Sea’ program, which implements new health and safety standards to keep guests and crew members protected during a cruise vacation.

The measures are from the guidance of the Healthy Sail Panel, a group of experts who are leaders in public health, biosecurity, epidemiology, hospitality, and maritime operations.

President of Azamara, Carol Cabezas, said:

“Since we suspended our sailings over a year ago, we’ve had time to develop a strong restart plan and build on our existing health and safety protocols to ensure peace of mind for guests and crew, especially when it comes to traveling within our new world.”

“Cruising is one of the safest places to travel, which is attributed to all the enhanced protocols set in place, and we are extremely fortunate to be guided by the Healthy Sail Panel for a healthy return to service in Greece beginning on August 28, with five back-to-back Country-Intensive Voyages and one classic Mediterranean sailing.”

The measures include pretty much the same as what most other lines are doing, and it’s good to know that Azamara ships will use new HVAC air filtration systems to help stop the spread of any virus. Guests will need to be fully vaccinated to cruise, and the cruise line will evolve the guidelines as the situation develops around the world.

For now, the new health protocols will be implemented when Azamara Quest begins operations out of Athens, Greece, on August 28, 2021. The ship will offer 7-day voyages and a total of 18 late-night stays in port, including Santorini, Rhodes, and Heraklion, Greece.

‘Explorer Well at Sea’ Highlights

Testing & Screening: All guests will be required to be fully vaccinated two weeks prior to sailing, as an added layer of protection to keep guests and crew safe, in addition to providing a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result. Once aboard, complimentary COVID-19 testing and medical evaluations will be available.

Air Filtration: With new HVAC filtration systems, the air indoors aboard each of Azamara’s ships is comparable to the fresh sea air. This advanced filtration system takes in fresh sea air and moves it through a two-stage filter, plus copper coils, to eliminate 99.99% of germs, making the transmission of aerosol particles between spaces extremely low to virtually impossible. 

Cleaning Protocols: Advanced cleaning protocols and guidelines approved by the CDC and recommended by the Healthy Sail Panel will be followed. Every nook of the ships, from bow to stern, will be regularly cleaned and sanitized. New standards include enhanced team member training, use of EPA-certified disinfectants, and techniques like electrostatic spraying. 

Medical Capabilities: An enhanced medical facility will be found on board each Azamara vessel, with more equipment, a dedicated infectious control officer, and new isolation staterooms to provide comfortable and complimentary care. New agreements will be in place with local governments, hospitals and transportation partners to ensure guests a safe return home. 

Cruise Line Reveals New Health and Safety Measures for August Restart (cruisehive.com)

On 5/9/2021 at 8:08 PM, Jimbo said:

Because I don't want my wife and I first cruise to Europe to be under these conditions............Wearing a mask on airplane for 9 hours, then all the restrictions on the ship, and then even more restrictions at each port stop with not be allowed to explore on our own, cruiselines excursions only.

Rather do this cruise in 2022.

I can understand this and have mixed feelings about our October European cruise on Oceania. I like the fact that we got a pretty good deal and that the ship will probably have less people on board.

I don't like the idea of the masks, maybe not being allowed to wander on our own, and my concern that some ports will be dropped as some countries on our itinerary may not be ready for us. 

If this was a typical Caribbean cruise, I wouldn't care if we skipped all the ports. But, this one is all about the ports and is also for our 30th anniversary.

My wife and I came back from a Caribbean cruise which was shortened from 10 to 5 days in March of 2020. Soon thereafter, we both had Covid. We're not sure if we got it on the ship, in a hotel, or a restaurant.

The good news is that we have antibodies to spare as we are also both vaccinated. So, wearing a mask for a long time is totally unnecessary for us. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 9:29 AM, little britain said:

They said on the last Coffee Morning chat that they were hoping for the normal European itineraries to continue on Anthem from Sept 5th.

That’s encouraging. We are booked on Sept. 5th sailing to Norway. Haven’t heard anything definitive from Norwegian government yet but was not optimistic about them allowing cruises there. Viking has pulled all their Norwegian cruises....

1 hour ago, Preziosa said:

Harmony Will stay outside Barcelona until the beginning of June.

maybe there Will Be a new sailing plan with only spanish ports..

Palma de Mallorca, Valencia, Malaga, Cadiz who Will know....

exactly what makes you so sure of this?  Ports in Greece and Italy are open right now

7 minutes ago, Preziosa said:

Which port in Greece Can say welcome to such a Big ship........

And Maybe They Will not mix the countrys in the beginning. Maybe later.

Greece and Italy have both announced that they are open for tourists for the entire EU.

12 minutes ago, Preziosa said:

Which port in Greece Can say welcome to such a Big ship........

And Maybe They Will not mix the countrys in the beginning. Maybe later.

NAPLES, ITALY 

BARCELONA, SPAIN 

PALMA DE MALLORCA, SPAIN 

PROVENCE(MARSEILLE), FRANCE 

FLORENCE/PISA(LASPEZIA)ITALY,

Mykonos, 

Santorini,

Edited by crazyank

16 minutes ago, crazyank said:

NAPLES, ITALY 

BARCELONA, SPAIN 

PALMA DE MALLORCA, SPAIN 

Mykonos, 

Santorini,

Santorini is tender... they never tender Oasis  class 

If they start from Spain then I believe they will do intra Spain route only.

Now Gibraltar is on the UK green list they could add that port to the mix; but as it stands now Spain is on the UK amber list meaning quarantine and tests on return. 

1 minute ago, little britain said:

Santorini is tender... they never tender Oasis  class 

If they start from Spain then I believe they will do intra Spain route only.

Now Gibraltar is on the UK green list they could add that port to the mix; but as it stands now Spain is on the UK amber list meaning quarantine and tests on return. 

You're correct,  Santorini should not have been included.  

• Thanks 1

We're booked on Anthem Sept 23 out of Southhampton. With the quiet announcement the line posted on May 15 (see link below), I think it's safe to say we wait until the official announcement for September but assume itinerary will be shifted to 2022.

"Anthem of the Seas June 4 to August 29, 2021: Instead of offering European sailings, Anthem of the Seas will now offer Ocean Getaways and British Isles itineraries from Southampton exclusively for UK residents."

Here's the link: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

8 minutes ago, mel_kat_ said:

We're booked on Anthem Sept 23 out of Southhampton. With the quiet announcement the line posted on May 15 (see link below), I think it's safe to say we wait until the official announcement for September but assume itinerary will be shifted to 2022.

"Anthem of the Seas June 4 to August 29, 2021: Instead of offering European sailings, Anthem of the Seas will now offer Ocean Getaways and British Isles itineraries from Southampton exclusively for UK residents."

Here's the link: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Why would you assume it will be cancelled. I’m on Set. 5 sailing and I’m cautiously optimistic that the UK would be open to US visitors by then. Now, Norway (our destination) may be another matter....

Watching the entire cruise industry right now going through weighing these decisions, I think RCL is looking at how to maintain revenue opportunities while also minimizing complexity as well as potential disgruntled consumers. 

Specifically for the Anthem 23rd sailing, it's 9 ports of call. Their chances at this stage of having all of these ports open and cleared, then with excursion companies ready,  and the logistics associated with the supply chain issues we're all still facing is a low probability.

Then, looking at this from a purely business decision, I would assume at this time that RCL will continue Anthem for UK and British isles which gives them some revenue. It's a conservative and safer option for them with all of these unknowns.

3 minutes ago, mel_kat_ said:

Watching the entire cruise industry right now going through weighing these decisions, I think RCL is looking at how to maintain revenue opportunities while also minimizing complexity as well as potential disgruntled consumers. 

Specifically for the Anthem 23rd sailing, it's 9 ports of call. Their chances at this stage of having all of these ports open and cleared, then with excursion companies ready,  and the logistics associated with the supply chain issues we're all still facing is a low probability.

Then, looking at this from a purely business decision, I would assume at this time that RCL will continue Anthem for UK and British isles which gives them some revenue. It's a conservative and safer option for them with all of these unknowns.

That makes sense. Guess we may be doing land trip to UK only which wouldn’t be a bad thing either. 

11 hours ago, crazyank said:

NAPLES, ITALY 

BARCELONA, SPAIN 

PALMA DE MALLORCA, SPAIN 

Mykonos, 

Santorini,

Only two of these ports are in Greece and Hatmony does not tender...

Spain to open up from Monday for Uk people. If you have been vaccinated then no need for an expensive PCR test to enter spain.

Just need UK gov to allow is to fly to spain and RCL to get a grip and say Harmony cruises are going ahead....

Things are looking up

A press release on the Port of Barcelona's website dated 18 May says they are going to be stepping up preparations for a return to cruising over the next few weeks, having received approval of their plan of action.

The article doesn't really say anything else new and it's not available in English but Google should be able to do a sufficiently good translation for non-Spanish speakers to get the gist.

Link: https://contentv5.portdebarcelona.cat/cntmng/gd/d/workspace/SpacesStore/1cdb0efe-a2a1-4a0d-a469-f2d66fb674f0/210518_Tornada_Creuers_ES.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Spain to open up from Monday for Uk people. If you have been vaccinated then no need for an expensive PCR test to enter spain.

Just need UK gov to allow is to fly to spain and RCL to get a grip and say Harmony cruises are going ahead....

Things are looking up

Great news, still wondering what proof of vaccine they will require 

1 hour ago, di T said:

Great news, still wondering what proof of vaccine they will require 

The NHS App has been updated to include an official record of vaccination.  It allows the record to be shared electronically by scanning a bar code and that can be emailed and printed as an official paper record.  Hopefully the UK Government has already had agreement this will be acceptable to airlines and other governments, but if it is that proof is already there and available to anyone vaccinated.

Not sure about anyone without a smartphone though.  Perhaps they can get direct from the NHS.

Edited by abo
  • Like 1

I’m booked on the august 29 sailing on Harmony and i’m looking forward to this cruise.

Europe will ‘open’ for travel between the countrys around july 1’st, and there will be a ‘european travelpass’ wich will indicate if you had your vacsine, negativ tests and if you had covid the last 6 months. Europe cant have another summer without tourist ......

I think Harmony will start sailing around July 15 this summer...

Other Italian cruise-Lines will deploy many ships in western med. and cant se no reason why Rccl wont?