Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

Question about transportation to and from port.

I do not have Viking transfers.  I arranged my air independently and did not purchase transfers from Viking.

Apparently the taxi fare from the airport is fixed at 17 euros.  You purchase a transfer at the airport.

My question is about the return to the airport.  Are there taxis at the pier.  Do you buy a transfer first?

Or perhaps you can purchase a round trip transfer at the airport?

Anyone with any first hand experience would be helpful.  Thanks

7 hours ago, NC1989 said:

Quick question for those who are still on board..........Has anyone tried having a video conference (zoom or facetime) while at sea? How was the connection?   Thanks!

The crew have a different system with different bandwidth than the pax. 

Lots of variables dictate on whether you can use zoom/skype, etc - visibilty to the sats, location and amount of traffic onboard. At sea, with others also using the system, the chance of getting good connection could be very low.

We have found the best time to skype in is in port, when most pax are ashore, so the high bandwidth usage does not negatively impact other users.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The crew have a different system with different bandwidth than the pax. 

Lots of variables dictate on whether you can use zoom/skype, etc - visibilty to the sats, location and amount of traffic onboard. At sea, with others also using the system, the chance of getting good connection could be very low.

We have found the best time to skype in is in port, when most pax are ashore, so the high bandwidth usage does not negatively impact other users.

Thank to you and others for the feedback and information. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tiki-Is-Texas said:

Hi, lurking....  We are on the 30 Aug trip on Sea.  Do you know how many fellow passengers you have on your cruise?  

We are on the same August 30 trip. Are you on the charter from Newark?

1 minute ago, gma1 said:

Faye & Carl from northern Virginia...near DC. Our 4th Viking Ocean cruise plus 2 Viking river boat cruises. We leave from IAD to Vienna and return on charter. 

1 hour ago, gma1 said:

Steve & Lynn here. UA flying from Houston IAH to EWR to board charter to Malta. 2nd Viking (San Juan to Amazon 1st) with 2 cancelled; we supposed to be going Vancouver to Japan 30 August and were hours from boarding in San Juan for transatlantic on 12 March 2020 when Viking cancelled all cruises. Optimistic that this trip will go!

MALTA, ADRIATIC AND GREECE 9/12

We had no notice of excursions opening and were closed out of the Knights of Malta tour. Anyone thinking of cancelling? What are the chances if enough people request it that Viking would schedule another? ALSO the "turn around" day (9/22) in Valletta there is nothing scheduled..are we stuck on the boat? This is not the Viking I'm use  to - I understand that these are difficult times but the lack of communication i really upsetting.

3 hours ago, gma1 said:

Faye & Carl from northern Virginia...near DC. Our 4th Viking Ocean cruise plus 2 Viking river boat cruises. We leave from IAD to Vienna and return on charter. 

We are also on the August 30th cruise… Gary & Carol from suburbs outside of Philly. It’s our first Viking Ocean, we have done one River. We are on the Newark charter RT.

It's odd that Viking are still maintaining a bubble for Greek excursions. The Norwegian Jade is currently sailing around Greece and their passengers are allowed to get off the ship and roam freely. So are we to presume that it's Viking insisting on the bubble and not the Greek government? That being said,  the NCL Jade does begin and end its cruises in Greece, whereas Viking starts and finishes in Malta. Perhaps that has something to do with it. 🤷‍♂️ I hope Viking is working to remove the remaining excursion bubbles, much like they did for the Croatian excursions. 🤞

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MissDaisyRI said:

MALTA, ADRIATIC AND GREECE 9/12

We had no notice of excursions opening and were closed out of the Knights of Malta tour. Anyone thinking of cancelling? What are the chances if enough people request it that Viking would schedule another? ALSO the "turn around" day (9/22) in Valletta there is nothing scheduled..are we stuck on the boat? This is not the Viking I'm use  to - I understand that these are difficult times but the lack of communication i really upsetting.

When you get on board, go to the excursion desk and ask to sign up for that excursion, if there is a cancellation. It was all booked on our day 2 also but we got on it the 12th day, which is our second time back in port...Look at that too.

2 minutes ago, gma1 said:

When you get on board, go to the excursion desk and ask to sign up for that excursion, if there is a cancellation. It was all booked on our day 2 also but we got on it the 12th day, which is our second time back in port...Look at that too.

Oh I see your schedule may be different than ours MissDaisy so may not work for you...just check it out at the desk for cancellation.We are 8-30

6 hours ago, Tiki-Is-Texas said:

Steve & Lynn here. UA flying from Houston IAH to EWR to board charter to Malta. 2nd Viking (San Juan to Amazon 1st) with 2 cancelled; we supposed to be going Vancouver to Japan 30 August and were hours from boarding in San Juan for transatlantic on 12 March 2020 when Viking cancelled all cruises. Optimistic that this trip will go!

Seems like its gonna...unless this newest covid count throws a wrench in things....as the CDC & State Dept has raised the travel advisory & Malta changes USA entering.

1 hour ago, RALWauna said:

LindaS272,

Could you post the content of this link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2781798-viking-venus-malta-adriatic-jewels-aug-23-sep-2-2021/?do=findComment&comment=61536692 here?  I can't access the link probably because I am not on that cruise.  Thank you.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I don’t know why you can’t access the link. It’s only a Cruise Critic thread. You can search for it under Viking Venus roll calls - Aug. 23 - Sep. 2, 2021.

2 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Hi Bob,

I don’t know why you can’t access the link. It’s only a Cruise Critic thread. You can search for it under Viking Venus roll calls - Aug. 23 - Sep. 2, 2021.

Bob is new to CC and he needs to register on CC above , sign in  to access Roll Calls,

Just now, Alan2504 said:

Santorini today

We took the Summit's & Countryside excursion

We had time in Oia and our guide allowed a 15min break for shopping etc (he town was very busy as was most of Santorini

Our trip took us up to a monastery on the highest point of the island some nice specialities grown by the monks available for purchase. Today the winds got up and meant the tendering  back was delayed and interesting 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

How is he able to post without registering?

Checked out his moniker. It says he  joined two hr ago when he posted above, so maybe it is still being processed . A lot of new members posting  these days ...

From Cruise Critic:

ROLL CALLS
You can browse our list of Roll Calls, but you must be registered and logged in to read and post.
Read: What is a ROLL CALL?  and  Learn How To Create a New Roll Call

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alan2504 said:

Santorini today

We took the Summit's & Countryside excursion

We had time in Oia and our guide allowed a 15min break for shopping etc (he town was very busy as was most of Santorini

Our trip took us up to a monastery on the highest point of the island some nice specialities grown by the monks available for purchase. Today the winds got up and meant the tendering  back was delayed and interesting 😎

The first time I was in Santorini in early July  on a Celebrity cruise, it was 102 degrees. We walked down the donkey path .... huge line for the lift. Second time in Santorini we took a sea day.

You really got to see the island.! 

27 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Checked out his moniker. It says he  joined two hr ago when he posted above, so maybe it is still being processed . A lot of new members posting  these days ...

From Cruise Critic:

ROLL CALLS
You can browse our list of Roll Calls, but you must be registered and logged in to read and post.
Read: What is a ROLL CALL?  and  Learn How To Create a New Roll Call

I don’t think there’s a difference between posting in a thread and accessing roll calls. Maybe he just wasn’t logged in when he tried the link I posted…? Wish I could help!

• Like 1