Vaxxed and Masked: CDC Rules Make No Allowances for Fully Vaccinated Cruises

Have any of you seen this yet:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6095/?et_cid=3428455&et_rid=16734641&et_referrer=RCI Party Data

Supposedly this is in place through October 2021 but we have a 2 week cruise in January 2022 and I am going to cancel.  My wife and I are fully vaccinated and we are not going to go on a cruise having to where masks everywhere except in our cabin!  And apparently, if I read it correctly, the CDC is saying that you can't have your mask off for an extended dining period so I assume the expect us to put our mask on while chewing and can take it off while putting food in our mouths.  Maybe I interpreted that incorrectly so looking for others thoughts.  And we aren't going to accept that we have to go on ship excursions, particularly when we like to just get off and walk around in ports we've been to before.

These restrictions I think are just too strict for the cruising industry and I find that sad.  Much stricter than on land restaurants, bars and movie theatres.  All I can do is shake my head in disappointment as cruising is our favorite way to travel.  Guess we keep doing land travel until this stupidity is over.

• Like 3

Wow, looks like I will be canceling our New Years Eve cruise.  While I am sure you exaggerated a bit regarding removing the mask just to take a bite, the other restrictions are just too much for me.  I am very sorry for the industry.

• Like 3

My wife just shared this with me.  I got the same read you did.  What is the CDC's rationale for this?  I see this going to court pretty quickly.  Rules like these have to have some background to justify and since they don't, a judge can rapidly rule them as being arbitrary and void them.  The problem is though, if they are voided, the CDC still has the authority to not issue an OK to cruise order.  

This is a nightmare.. one that is self inflicted by the CDC.  We have a Feb 22 cruise to Hawaii scheduled so I hope this is rectified by then. As for the Caribbean, I see the potential for the cruise lines to give the finger to the US and just leave out of island ports.  It'll be difficult for the infrastructure to handle it, but if they spread out they'll have more passengers than they would leaving out of FLA.

I just saw this as well. Our Panama cruise is in March and if these shore restrictions are still in place when final payment is due, we will be canceling and booking a land trip for our anniversary instead.

• Like 3

I agree that the rules seem way too conservative given what we know about how COVID is spread and (less so) how much lower the risk of transmission is among fully vaccinated individuals, but cancelling trips in January also seems like a bit of an over-reaction unless you are up against a cancellation deadline.  I do not see them being able to justify retaining these restrictions among fully vaccinated crews & customers once more data has come in regarding the risks among fully vaccinated individuals The initial evidence is clear (vaccination greatly reduces the likelihood of infection, serious infection, and transmission), but it's early in terms of making definitive medical statements (too few large controlled studies have completed), and so the CDC is being super/overly cautious.  The tricky part is whether they will issue different rules for cruise lines who require every passenger (and crew member) to be vaccinated, or whether the cruise lines can make vaccination a requirement.  Without that requirement, they may well get stuck with onerous restrictions indefinitely, which seems like a lose-lose all around.

The cruise lines are already repositioning Caribbean cruises to leave from island ports.  It does reduce their capacity, though, not to mention that it is harder and more expensive to get to the island ports than Miami / Ft. Lauderdale / Galveston / ...

• Like 1

Re: my comment about whether cruise lines will be allowed to require vaccination:  This CNN article linked in another thread contains quotes from the CEO of Norwegian saying that the recently passed Florida making it illegal for companies to perform COVID-19 vaccination checks may lead Norwegian to move out of Florida.  I expect Florida will waive the restriction for cruise lines if/when the CDC relaxes the restrictions for cruises that only take on vaccinated passengers/crews, but until then it's a moot point.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/norwegian-cruise-line-florida-vaccinations/index.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, huskerdan25 said:

Have any of you seen this yet:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6095/?et_cid=3428455&et_rid=16734641&et_referrer=RCI Party Data

Supposedly this is in place through October 2021 but we have a 2 week cruise in January 2022 and I am going to cancel.  My wife and I are fully vaccinated and we are not going to go on a cruise having to where masks everywhere except in our cabin!  And apparently, if I read it correctly, the CDC is saying that you can't have your mask off for an extended dining period so I assume the expect us to put our mask on while chewing and can take it off while putting food in our mouths.  Maybe I interpreted that incorrectly so looking for others thoughts.  And we aren't going to accept that we have to go on ship excursions, particularly when we like to just get off and walk around in ports we've been to before.

These restrictions I think are just too strict for the cruising industry and I find that sad.  Much stricter than on land restaurants, bars and movie theatres.  All I can do is shake my head in disappointment as cruising is our favorite way to travel.  Guess we keep doing land travel until this stupidity is over.

Its not "stupid."  CDC is making sure we are safe and healthy.  If you personally don't want to be "safe and healthy," please don't cruise with those of us who do.  Best.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ehogan said:

So after reading the link re CDC guidelinesI am wondering:

1. our 2022 cruise London return, visiting only U.K. ports would not have to follow these guidelines?

2. Our 2022 cruise Vancouver return, visiting mainly U.S. ports would have to follow these guidelines?

Help please. Thanks.

That does seem to be the case, yes.  The CDC guidelines have no direct impact on cruises that do not touch a US port, although other countries have a tendency to go along with their guidance so it can have indirect impacts.  As noted above, I'm skeptical that the same rules will be in place for a 2022 cruise, but if they are, they'd only be directly relevant for your Vancouver cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Its not "stupid."  CDC is making sure we are safe and healthy.  If you personally don't want to be "safe and healthy," please don't cruise with those of us who do.  Best.

No, this is beyond making sure we are safe and healthy.  And as I mentioned earlier, we are fully vaccinated so it is stupid that those of us that are vaccinated would need to wear a stupid mask everywhere!  So it is my opinion it is stupid.  The fact we are vaccinated shows that we care about being safe and healthy.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, huskerdan25 said:

No, this is beyond making sure we are safe and healthy.  And as I mentioned earlier, we are fully vaccinated so it is stupid that those of us that are vaccinated would need to wear a stupid mask everywhere!  So it is my opinion it is stupid.  The fact we are vaccinated shows that we care about being safe and healthy.

We have been fully vaccinated (Pfizer) since 27 January and still take precautions like "social distancing" and using PPE in close quarters and around others.  It is for everyone's safety and health - not "stupid."  Until "everyone" is vaccinated the dangers will continue to be high.  Vaccination does not imply that someone cannot get the virus and that people cannot spread the virus.  The CDC is doing what it is chartered to do by the USG.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, huskerdan25 said:

Agreed.  I'm all for wearing masks, social distancing, and the like, but these rules go against current CDC rules about fully vaccinated people not requiring masks outside.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We have been fully vaccinated (Pfizer) since 27 January and still take precautions like "social distancing" and using PPE in close quarters and around others.  It is for everyone's safety and health - not "stupid."  Until "everyone" is vaccinated the dangers will continue to be high.  Vaccination does not imply that someone cannot get the virus and that people cannot spread the virus.  The CDC is doing what it is chartered to do by the USG.

The highlighted is never going to happen!  If I am on a cruise with fully vaccinated crew and travelers, then these face mask rules are stupid.  To not make exceptions for fully vaccinated crew and travelers on a cruise is ridiculous.

• Like 9

thanks so much for posting. we will be fully vax. this is a no go for us. we are booked on 97 day world cruise Jan 22. will NOT go if these rules are still in effect.

we support vax required for all pax and crew 100%

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

Basically no reason to get a vaccine

That's just a silly comment to make.  If a cruise was the only reason you wanted to get vaccinated, then that's wrong reason.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

Basically no reason to get a vaccine

While the best reason to get the vaccine is to protect yourself and others, I do think that these types of rules for those that like to cruise along with being hesitant to get the vaccine to begin with is problematic.  Basically the message is, even if you get vaccinated, you still have to live by the rules of those that aren't.  

Part of the reason I am so against the latest from the CDC is we cruise for many reasons but one is to meet new people.  So much for that.  And we also like to decide whether we go on an excursion or just decide to walk around the port instead of being told that we either stay on the ship or go on a ship excursion.  For us, that is unacceptable.  There should be a set of rules for cruises with fully vaccinated crews and travelers if the cruise line decides that is in their best interest to be able to sail and there should be more stringent rules for cruise lines that decide they will sail with crew and travelers that are not vaccinated.  To force the same rules on both vaccinated and non-vaccinated is not reasonable in my opinion.  

It may just be me, but it sure seems like the CDC is trying very hard to destroy the cruise industry with making the rules so strict to make it difficult for the cruise lines and the cruisers.

• Like 3

I hope this pertains only to cruises which touch US ports?  Assuming so....and why would our now utterly ridiculous, unscientific, full of itself, CDC have jurisdiction anywhere else....this merely means,  at least to me, that US ports should be avoided at all costs!  

Have we hidden our vaccinated children away for the last fifty years lest they catch measles, mumps, diphtheria or whooping cough?  Have we sent them to schools in masks to sit surrounded by plexiglass?  NO!  Vaccines are protective, you fools; that’s the point!  The game is up; you are using the guise of a “deadly pandemic” (1.67% mortality rate in the US,  I believe) to rule over and control a (heretofore) free American citizenry.  People are starting to catch on and there’s rebellion in the air; removal of a mask for “extended eating” is a violation but you “don’t have to wear a mask in your own stateroom” ?!  How much more of this nonsense do they really think educated adults - and that includes most of the cruising population - will stand for? 

If this country - or its leaders - continue to act like complete morons, the world will just go on around and without it/them.  I certainly plan to!  

• Like 6

If all crew and passengers have been vaccinated then, ipso facto, there is herd immunity on board.  There is no need for the draconian rules for mask wearing.  For those who wish to continue to wear a mask, feel free to wear it wherever and whenever you please.  If you would like to wear a respirator and full Tyvek suit, feel free to do that as well.  I would suggest that if you are that paranoid, then perhaps you should stay home.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rljan said:

If all crew and passengers have been vaccinated then, ipso facto, there is herd immunity on board.  There is no need for the draconian rules for mask wearing.  For those who wish to continue to wear a mask, feel free to wear it wherever and whenever you please.  If you would like to wear a respirator and full Tyvek suit, feel free to do that as well.  I would suggest that if you are that paranoid, then perhaps you should stay home.

Guess that includes those who service the ships while in port, the port captains and especially passengers and crew who disembark at ports for local torus and sightseeing.  There will never be "herd immunity" with today's mobile workforce and passenger movements.  Even those who have had COVID-19 AND been vaccinated are not 100 percent protected from catching it again.  Have to be realistic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Guess that includes those who service the ships while in port, the port captains and especially passengers and crew who disembark at ports for local torus and sightseeing.  There will never be "herd immunity" with today's mobile workforce and passenger movements.  Even those who have had COVID-19 AND been vaccinated are not 100 percent protected from catching it again.  Have to be realistic.

I guess you should keep wearing your mask for the rest of your life.  

• Like 2