Jump to content

Disney pursuing a long-term agreement with Port Everglades


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/disney-cruise-line-pursues-long-term-agreement-port-everglades

According to the port's director, Disney is in talks with Broward County to possibly begin using Terminal 4, Carnival's former terminal. 

It was reported earlier last year that Carnival "amended its agreement" with Port Everglades, but we can comfortably assume that they've basically pulled out as there is no active ships based at the port in its current schedule through 2023.  

 

There is no set timeline announced yet. Talks are slated to begin on May 18.

 

(Edit to add) Disney's agreement with Miami is not seeing any danger of being dissolved just yet. It goes until 2024. 

Edited by snoozecrooze
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting.  Perhaps a move from Miami for whichever ship runs from there? 

 

Or, maybe a negation tactic for a better deal with the port of Miami?  

Edited by jalves
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, snoozecrooze said:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/disney-cruise-line-pursues-long-term-agreement-port-everglades

According to the port's director, Disney is in talks with Broward County to possibly begin using Terminal 4, Carnival's former terminal. 

It was reported earlier last year that Carnival "amended its agreement" with Port Everglades, but we can comfortably assume that they've basically pulled out as there is no active ships based at the port in its current schedule through 2023. 

 


What's interesting to me is that there is mention of Disney looking to possibly base a ship holding up to 3,500 passengers at Port Everglades.  That seems to imply this would not be the future home for the Magic or Wonder, but for a ship of the Dream class or Wish class.  So maybe the Dream would sail 3, 4, and 5 night cruises from there, or eventually the Fantasy might sail 7 night trips from there.  Or who knows; I guess it depends on whether DCL can make a better deal with Port Miami or Port Everglades for future terminal/pier space. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 1:00 AM, Modern_Viking said:

So maybe the Dream would sail 3, 4, and 5 night cruises from there, or eventually the Fantasy might sail 7 night trips from there. 

Certainly, and it makes sense since Disney's fleet is growing, barring nothing happens to the company. It's about time Disney works on expanding its itineraries and Port Everglades would provide DCL with much-needed space for its ships. 

 

Personally, I'd expect Canaveral to continue to be its proudest possession so Everglades will be tossed some of its simpler 3-4 days while Canaveral gets possible 7-dayers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I certainly won't be lining up to cruise from Port Everglades ever again.  We had our most disorganised and painfully slow experience of entering the US at Port Everglades.  Unbelievably long lines and slow moving as well.  It proved worse than Miami or New York.  Frankly only Canaveral offers a Disney class experience in my view! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2021 at 7:36 PM, snoozecrooze said:

Certainly, and it makes sense since Disney's fleet is growing, barring nothing happens to the company. It's about time Disney works on expanding its itineraries and Port Everglades would provide DCL with much-needed space for its ships. 

 

Personally, I'd expect Canaveral to continue to be its proudest possession so Everglades will be tossed some of its simpler 3-4 days while Canaveral gets possible 7-dayers. 

 

Disney only has 4 ships, one coming online next year and one supposedly two years after that. 6 ships is nothing. Incredibly tiny fleet. It's not a space problem at all. It's a market strategy problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2021 at 7:36 PM, snoozecrooze said:

Certainly, and it makes sense since Disney's fleet is growing, barring nothing happens to the company. It's about time Disney works on expanding its itineraries and Port Everglades would provide DCL with much-needed space for its ships. 

 

Personally, I'd expect Canaveral to continue to be its proudest possession so Everglades will be tossed some of its simpler 3-4 days while Canaveral gets possible 7-dayers. 

The 3/4 day cruises are likely to stay at PC. I believe there are a large number of people that go to WDW for a few days and then sail for the rest of the week long vacation. With that, I can see DCL running 4 ships out of PC. The Dream and Wish doing 3/4, the Fantasy continuing the 7 with the next new ship doing 7 as well. That would have a ship every day at PC and Castaway Cay and keep the workload consistent at PC to allow for increased efficiency.

The Wonder and Magic would continue to keep playing 2nd fiddle out of Miami/ Everglades and the other unique itineraries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 11:06 AM, ArthurUSCG said:

The 3/4 day cruises are likely to stay at PC. I believe there are a large number of people that go to WDW for a few days and then sail for the rest of the week long vacation. With that, I can see DCL running 4 ships out of PC. The Dream and Wish doing 3/4, the Fantasy continuing the 7 with the next new ship doing 7 as well.

Interesting but very possible. I am not a Disney expert so I don't claim to have any sensible predictions. But I have to wonder if Disney will eventually send either Magic or Wonder to Japan and open up more room for its deployment patterns. Perhaps stationing a ship permanently on the West Coast from San Diego or Los Angeles as well. Maybe when the rest of the new ships join the fleet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 6:10 PM, snoozecrooze said:

 Perhaps stationing a ship permanently on the West Coast from San Diego or Los Angeles as well. Maybe when the rest of the new ships join the fleet. 

That would be really nice!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2021 at 5:55 AM, coldflame said:

 

Disney only has 4 ships, one coming online next year and one supposedly two years after that. 6 ships is nothing. Incredibly tiny fleet. It's not a space problem at all. It's a market strategy problem.

Well 7 technically but yeah, that’s not a ton.

 

Seeing this I wonder what their itinerary plans are for the future. They’re adding ships but are they going to just be more settle into the Caribbean? While other cruise lines are having their new ships go to various parts of Europe or Asia even, I wonder if Disney will do that same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, sergel02 said:

Well 7 technically but yeah, that’s not a ton.

 

Seeing this I wonder what their itinerary plans are for the future. They’re adding ships but are they going to just be more settle into the Caribbean? While other cruise lines are having their new ships go to various parts of Europe or Asia even, I wonder if Disney will do that same.

The mouse does thing differently. Having the luxury of not depending on cruise line revenue like other lines do, means they can be thoughtful and strategic where they position their ships. But, my guess, seeing how APAC is a huge gaping hole in their itineraries right now, it would seem logical they would station a ship in the region as well as one ship home ported in NY/NJ-area. But as I said, the mouse is a does things differently.

Edited by coldflame
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coldflame said:

The mouse does thing differently. Having the luxury of not depending on cruise line revenue like other lines do, means they can be thoughtful and strategic where they position their ships. But, my guess, seeing how APAC is a huge gaping hole in their itineraries right now, it would seem logical they would station a ship in the region as well as one ship home ported in NY/NJ-area. But as I said, the mouse is a does things differently.

I feel like Yokohama would be a nice Asia port because they have Disney Sea in that area. Disney is pretty popular in Japan and Marvel in Korea.

 

But yes, the mouse does things differently. I was honestly surprised to find out the Wish is basically just doing the Dream’s sailing alongside it, so my excitement of a new itinerary kind of deflated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sergel02 said:

I feel like Yokohama would be a nice Asia port because they have Disney Sea in that area. Disney is pretty popular in Japan and Marvel in Korea.

 

But yes, the mouse does things differently. I was honestly surprised to find out the Wish is basically just doing the Dream’s sailing alongside it, so my excitement of a new itinerary kind of deflated.

Looking at the fall 2022 schedule, the Dream is going down to Miami.

Given that DCL will have a 2nd private island, I suspect, there will be at least 4 ships that will be positioned to make routine stops at the island. The private island are a money maker and draw for DCL over other cruise lines. I would also think the 3 new ships would all be stationed at PC, just for efficiency of operations stand point, considering they will all be using LNG and then there is almost identical work load for the shore side operations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Looking at the fall 2022 schedule, the Dream is going down to Miami.

Given that DCL will have a 2nd private island, I suspect, there will be at least 4 ships that will be positioned to make routine stops at the island. The private island are a money maker and draw for DCL over other cruise lines. I would also think the 3 new ships would all be stationed at PC, just for efficiency of operations stand point, considering they will all be using LNG and then there is almost identical work load for the shore side operations. 

Oh I didn’t even think about the LNG factor for the new ships. Would make sense they’ll keep their 3 new ships centered around Port Canaveral then. I don’t think the Dream or Fantasy ever left the Caribbean.

 

Makes me wonder when they’ll refurbish the Dream and Fantasy. Beautiful ships but the staterooms are starting to look slightly dated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sergel02 said:

Oh I didn’t even think about the LNG factor for the new ships. Would make sense they’ll keep their 3 new ships centered around Port Canaveral then. I don’t think the Dream or Fantasy ever left the Caribbean.

 

Makes me wonder when they’ll refurbish the Dream and Fantasy. Beautiful ships but the staterooms are starting to look slightly dated.

Honestly, I like the Dream and Fantasy state rooms more then the pictures of the Wish room so far. The Dream and Fantasy rooms look like they belong on a ship and are fitting with the nostalgic art deco look of the ships.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really see Disney expanding its Asia footprint by deploying their first ship in the region later this decade. I don't know if I can see Disney deploying a ship year-round from Manhattan, though.

 

Also for LNG, Disney could easily form a partnership with a vendor at Miami since Carnival and MSC will be doing the same (and I'm sure eventually Royal Caribbean too with their Icon-class if they bring it to Miami). 

 

And as for the Wish's cabins, I feel like this was inevitable. It looks very much now like a mish-mash of common cabin elements we've all seen on Carnival, Norwegian, MSC, and Royal Caribbean's newest vessels. Probably trying to reach 'new modern clientele' (even if prices are sky high anyways) and not bother with their current unique decor so I'm not surprised. Likely would've cost a lot more $$$ to change cabins from the molds they're designed with now anyways and well, it's a corporation after all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...