roatan hondorus

Traderbill

We did Daniel Johnsons Monkey and Sloth Hangout too.  They picked us up just outside the port area (which is really a good little walk up and then down a hill).  Everything was well organized, but crowded.  However once it was our turn they took their time and made sure we had a great experience.   After that they took us just a short drive away to Smiths Iguana Farm.  It is kind of hokey but there are lots of Iguanas you can feed, or hold, or chase around.  We had smaller kids and they loved it.  Then they transferred us back to the ship in time for a lunch on board.  After that we walked over to the private beach area and enjoyed swimming and playing in the sand.  I should note this was on a Carnival ship and the port was Mahogany Bay.

Edited by cc-riderslc

Daniels is the premier site but there are now several others, assuming they are open.

IMO, it's a bit of a drive from Coxen Hole, but not as far from Mahogany Bay, where cc-rider-sic caught the tour.

Worth a trip.  Use Daniel's transportation. But only for the sloth end.  We went to a small coffee chocolate place while the rest of the went on to somewhere else.  Good coffee to take home, cheaper than at port.  Chocolate was ok too.  

Edited by crewsweeper

Daniels is great but there are others on the island.  We prefer Bodden's Monkey Business for sloths and monkeys.  It's on the way over to West Bay Beach.  If cruising into Mahagony Bay and no interest in West Bay Beach, then Daniel's.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:36 AM, SpainAlien said:

100% agree with that assessment.  All three are good and it depends on where you are going that day.  I agree about Rony's Tours as well.  That is who we use for private driver.  Nice share!  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 1:45 PM, BrotherCraig said:

Daniels is great but there are others on the island.  We prefer Bodden's Monkey Business for sloths and monkeys.  It's on the way over to West Bay Beach.  If cruising into Mahagony Bay and no interest in West Bay Beach, then Daniel's.

There are going to be 8 people in our group.  4 adults, 2 teens and two younger kids.  I would like to do a sloth, monkey trip, but would like to spend a little time at the beach.  I thought Roatan had some of the most beautiful water we have experienced, while cruising.  I wanted my family to enjoy it, as well. Did you get any time for the beach with Bodden's?  Any details or information is Most appreciate.

12 hours ago, Derbie said:

There are going to be 8 people in our group.  4 adults, 2 teens and two younger kids.  I would like to do a sloth, monkey trip, but would like to spend a little time at the beach.  I thought Roatan had some of the most beautiful water we have experienced, while cruising.  I wanted my family to enjoy it, as well. Did you get any time for the beach with Bodden's?  Any details or information is Most appreciate.

Hi there.  Yes.  Only takes about 45 minute to an hour for the monkey and sloth experience.  We usually spend about 4 hours at the beach.  We also stop and shop as well.  Takes about 45 minutes to get to West Bay Beach and, with a private driver, you can design the day how you want.  We usually make sure we are back at the port 90 minutes early.  

On 6/15/2021 at 7:35 AM, BrotherCraig said:

Hi there.  Yes.  Only takes about 45 minute to an hour for the monkey and sloth experience.  We usually spend about 4 hours at the beach.  We also stop and shop as well.  Takes about 45 minutes to get to West Bay Beach and, with a private driver, you can design the day how you want.  We usually make sure we are back at the port 90 minutes early.  

I like your 90 minute rule when taking a private tour.  On are last cruise to Roatan a man and his older son had a mechanical issue on a private tour and by the time the tour company was able to get a van to pick them up they missed the ship.  His wife and daughter stayed onboard.  I have seen to many pier runners in my time.

48 minutes ago, franktown said:

I like your 90 minute rule when taking a private tour.  On are last cruise to Roatan a man and his older son had a mechanical issue on a private tour and by the time the tour company was able to get a van to pick them up they missed the ship.  His wife and daughter stayed onboard.  I have seen to many pier runners in my time.

Yeah, I would not use a private tour company like that.  Only use the ones that are popular and the ones that have a good record.  They would be out of business quickly if that happens to these private tour operators and it is the only source of income for many.  But yeah - 90 minute arrival at port is an important thing because things could happen.  Good thing is, places like Roatan, there are many taxis and shuttles that will swoop in to take you to port if something happens.  People work together there for the most part.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:35 AM, BrotherCraig said:

Thanks so much!  Did you arrange a private driver through Boden?  Would we need two cars, given the size our our group, or do they have van's, etc?  

16 hours ago, Derbie said:

Thanks so much!  Did you arrange a private driver through Boden?  Would we need two cars, given the size our our group, or do they have van's, etc?  

Yes, you can arrange through Bodden.  They have vans.  You design the day the way you want.  Just make sure they have you back at the port at least 90 minutes prior of departure.