A couple of things.'

I know it shows up on the reservation system but I would doubt very much there will be a Luncheon Vintage Room on the 7 day Bahama Voyages with only one sea day and only seven days.

Vintage Room menus change from time to time.  So there is no telling when they do have them if it will be the same menu or a different one.

Many people want a lighter lunch and don't want Beef for lunch so I think that is one of several reasons for the chicken and not every item is going to please each person.  I like Caviar. My wife doesn't.  So I had to help out by having hers.  LOL but true.

Here are photos I took of the lunch.

IMG_8274.thumb.jpeg.5c85150df468e89322d9d3008b40e125.jpeg

IMG_8276.thumb.jpeg.b5b82b699dbf53ea0bf60414fd9b3697.jpeg

IMG_8279.thumb.jpeg.0f9b2a037e4f6e2081a59ddec6fe463c.jpeg

IMG_8282.thumb.jpeg.ac8c275b2d7279017498d307beb41002.jpeg

I always enjoy the Vintage Room.  January of 2020 was our first Vintage Room Champagne Luncheon.  It was wonderful and I learned a lot.  We have participated in many of the Vintage Room dinners.  A wonderful experience and each time I learn things I didn't know before.

Keith

27 minutes ago, islandchick said:

The Champagne lunch is available on the Bahamas cruises. After seeing that menu that was posted above I probably won't participate because chicken breast doesn't really seem high end and is the last thing I would pick on a menu. I am sure there are others who will disagree.  To each his own I guess. 

Thanks for the tip!  I just checked in the PCPC and, yes, the options for lunch, Champagne lunch, and dinner in the Vintage Room are listed.  For $90, $130, and $275, respectively.  To be pre-reserved once final payment is made.  Food for thought (sorry for the pun!)  We are scheduled on one of Symphony's sailings in Antigua in September and on Ravel for a river cruise in October, so maybe between the two we'll get to try the Vintage Room.

6 minutes ago, loriva said:

Thanks for the tip!  I just checked in the PCPC and, yes, the options for lunch, Champagne lunch, and dinner in the Vintage Room are listed.  For $90, $130, and $275, respectively.  To be pre-reserved once final payment is made.  Food for thought (sorry for the pun!)  We are scheduled on one of Symphony's sailings in Antigua in September and on Ravel for a river cruise in October, so maybe between the two we'll get to try the Vintage Room.

I know i am repeating myself and would say if someone wants to sign up for the Vintage Room lunch to do this but I am doubtful they will have them.  Why?  On Serenity it is a short cruise with one sea day. Symphony has a 10 day cruise but again only one sea day.  On top of this not sure they would do this at least for the first set of voyages due to being cautious/the protocols.  People are seated fairly close so no social distancing.  I'm jus not sure it will happen but again for those interested you lose nothing signing up and that way if they do have one you have your request in for it.

Keith

The above unfortunately did happen during my last cruise on Serenity  : I booked the lunch online but the cruise - 7 days -  Italy and France - was simply too short and had far too much excursions to attract people even at an attractive price . 

Hoping  for a vintage dinner on board the C Ravel in October  -hopefully C does not cancel those. 

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I know i am repeating myself and would say if someone wants to sign up for the Vintage Room lunch to do this but I am doubtful they will have them.  Why?  On Serenity it is a short cruise with one sea day. Symphony has a 10 day cruise but again only one sea day.  On top of this not sure they would do this at least for the first set of voyages due to being cautious/the protocols.  People are seated fairly close so no social distancing.  I'm jus not sure it will happen but again for those interested you lose nothing signing up and that way if they do have one you have your request in for it.

Keith

We can all dream, Keith!  Thanks again for all your great insight.

5 hours ago, BWIVince said:

The chicken is a feature, and not a bug...  The lunches (both champagne and regular) are supposed to be the "more accessible" alternative to the dinner options, at a fraction of the cost.  (The champagne lunch is less than half the cost, and the regular lunch is a third of the cost.)  

I totally agree, chicken rarely excites me (though I think the prep on this is excellent), so the dinners probably suit me better, but I do love that they have a less-expensive alternative for folks that want a similar experience at a lower price point.

Vince

I understand your point of view, however as we have already paid for our lunch then I would think that we could get something a little more exciting. They have better things on the lunch menu in the main dining room. I know we are probably paying mainly for the champagne but again not impressive. 

If it were chicken, I'd probably skip lunch too.  The seafood in the Vintage Room. was fantastic.  The lunches available on board in Waterside and elsewhere are so good.  Chicken and Champagne are meh.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, islandchick said:

I understand your point of view, however as we have already paid for our lunch then I would think that we could get something a little more exciting. They have better things on the lunch menu in the main dining room. I know we are probably paying mainly for the champagne but again not impressive. 

I think the description of that dish probably doesn't translate or something...  I LOVE eating in Waterside and if I miss lunch in there it's for a VERY good reason, but that said, that chicken entree is 10X nicer than ANYTHING on a Waterside lunch menu -- even for the embarkation lunch.  I'm not defending the protein, but Crystal serves a lot of chicken for lunch at all venues -- it's quite popular with passengers as a lunch option because it's light and versatile (and goes with champagne).  It's also especially suitable for a daytime single-option lunch because few people refuse it based on religious or dietary restrictions like you get with seafood and the other white-(ish)-wine-friendly proteins.  

Like I said, it's not my thing either and I agree 100% that it doesn't excite me, but I get why it's there...

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
1 hour ago, islandchick said:

I've done the Champagne luncheon on the Symphony and I can tell you that the food served was a step up from what is served in Waterside at lunch.

Patty

4 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I've done the Champagne luncheon on the Symphony and I can tell you that the food served was a step up from what is served in Waterside at lunch.

Patty

fully concur Patty.

the food, including the chicken dish was excellent and the champagnes were great.  Hope we can do it again...such fun.

Nancy

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Keith

I seriously considered it a few weeks ago when I was in the PCPC and had the same reaction.  That, and that that there was NO way I was going to miss the Asian buffet on that one sea day for [even fancy] chicken.  😛  (Seriously.)  Any other day and the value proposition would have flipped...

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I seriously considered it a few weeks ago when I was in the PCPC and had the same reaction.  That, and that that there was NO way I was going to miss the Asian buffet on that one sea day for [even fancy] chicken.  😛  (Seriously.)  Any other day and the value proposition would have flipped...

Vince

Is the Asian buffet that good? What sorts of items do they have? Is it always on the sea days?

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, islandchick said:

Is the Asian buffet that good? What sorts of items do they have? Is it always on the sea days?

I don't know if it's THAT good, but it hits everything I like, so it's a highlight to me.  If you don't like Asian cuisines, it's probably your worst nightmare.  (I do hear some people complain every cruise, so I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.)

Oddly enough, I've never actually taken extensive pictures of the buffet, but I know a lot of people have so hopefully they will share.

There are usually about 6 or so different small appetizer ramekins, the usual salad bar, a half dozen hot entrees (like lions head, roast pork belly or wok options.), a carved roast option or two (it's been duck my last few cruises), a satay station, a couple of soups, some dim sum items, a large sushi station (that's usually VERY busy), and the usual dessert spread.  There's more I'm forgetting.

It's long been Crystal's most popular theme buffet held in Marketplace, so it's the first buffet held in the rotation. (That qualifier excludes the more conditionally-held Jazz Brunch and Gala Buffet in the Crystal Plaza).  The first sea day normally gets the Asian buffet, and if your cruise only has one sea day you normally only get the Asian buffet from the themed set -- the other (port) days are usually the regular (but nice) Marketplace buffets.  I've heard of Crystal offering theme buffets on port days in certain circumstances, but it hasn't happened on any of the cruises I've been on so I can't comment on the qualifiers that caused that to happen.

I don't usually take pics of my buffet plates, but for some reason I did with the Asian buffet on the last cruise.   Anyone that knows me knows I'm not much of a sweets person, so my dessert plate was the result of indecision and wanting to taste many things more than it was wanting lots of sugar (I think).  Thus is just a SMALL sampling of what's offered:

50130878743_a53e662c15_z.jpg

50131447876_2d8c27a3ec_z.jpg

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

OK, well,....my loneliest opinion on this board is that Crystal should bring back the round soap(don't ask, it's ancient history.)

Number two, and I say this as a lover of fine food and wine, is that the Vintage Room is just not that big a deal.

Here's why:  when you dine in any other venue on Crystal you know what you're going to get.  In Waterside, to say it's really, really good cruise dining doesn't do it justice.  It's as good as any top end of the mid-tier restaurants on land, and that's quite the accomplishment for a floating dining room doing that many covers in the evening.  Prego is similar: solid Italian cuisine with a few ruffles and flourishes.  And the quality of ingredients at Umi Uma(there's no sauce to hide behind when raw fish is one of your big movers) elevates it.   

But the VR represents as something different.  The uplift places it in the same category as the best restaurants on land(save those outliers that every mega-metropolis has that are designed to attract the crowd that is mostly there to brag about the money they just spent.) 

At the best restaurants on land your tab should bring you innovation in technique, creativity in presentation, and that day's best-of-the-best ingredients from the greengrocer, fishmonger, butcher and baker.  The VR simply can't do that, and it doesn't.  What it serves is basically gussied up protein and potatoes.  

As to the wine, maybe the presentation has value to you.  But, unless you uplift with a full VR buyout, you'll get pretty-good-but let's-not-kid-ourselves juice.  And even for those who buy the room, Crystal is pedaling off vintage label-drinker bottles.   

Thanks, but you'll find me in Waterside.

JMO.  Bring back the round soap.

58 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

@KenzSailing.... can you explain the soap thing?  I don't remember the Crystal bar soap.

Years(maybe 10?) ago Crystal tried a new toiletries vendor, Red Flower IIRC.  Their most distinctive touch was a bar soap that was round.  It didn't last long, as it was almost universally panned. But I liked it.  

30 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Years(maybe 10?) ago Crystal tried a new toiletries vendor, Red Flower IIRC.  Their most distinctive touch was a bar soap that was round.  It didn't last long, as it was almost universally panned. But I liked it.  

All the comedian guest entertainers were disappointed when the round red balls of soap were retired. They had great fun them in their shows.

Besides being hard to control (until you used enough of it to be lopsided), some of the Red Flower soap balls were also aggressively colored to the point that guests reported fabrics and other materials being stained by them with inadvertent contact.

Short-lived is right…. They were only deployed on Symphony, and only in part of 2006-2007, IIRC.  They were launched with the partial-renovation of Symphony’s standard stateroom bathrooms.  

It was a great combination — first you dropped your soap ball on the floor, then you hit your head on the original glass vessel sinks trying to chase the soap ball around the bathroom.

Vince

26 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Besides being hard to control (until you used enough of it to be lopsided), some of the Red Flower soap balls were also aggressively colored to the point that guests reported fabrics and other materials being stained by them with inadvertent contact.

Short-lived is right…. They were only deployed on Symphony, and only in part of 2006-2007, IIRC.  They were launched with the partial-renovation of Symphony’s standard stateroom bathrooms.  

It was a great combination — first you dropped your soap ball on the floor, then you hit your head on the original glass vessel sinks trying to chase the soap ball around the bathroom.

Vince

Do they still have the oval glass bowl sinks? I kind of liked them!...or are they gone like dinosaurs....?

6 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Do they still have the oval glass bowl sinks? I kind of liked them!...or are they gone like dinosaurs....?

No, they first tried a more oval glass vessel that didn’t protrude as far (though was harder to use without making a mess) and then went with a more upright plastic model that contained the water a little better.  The current plastic ones are my least favorite of the three, but they are the most functional and so far the safest.

Vince

Posted (edited)

Ah, things are getting back to normal on Cruise Critic and hopefully that will extend to actual cruising. On a thread titled "Champagne" we have the history of sinks and soap, I LOVE it!! I knew I remembered the round soap, but if Vince's dates are correct, and I have every confidence in his memory, I experienced it on just my first Crystal cruise. I actually liked the glass "salad bowl" lavatories with the slightly green tint to the glass!!

Patty

P.S. If we can manage to work in bedside mats, waste basket doilies and pillow chocolates (but not those disgusting raisin things!), I'll know all is right with the world.

Edited by Texas Tillie
9 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Short-lived is right…. They were only deployed on Symphony, and only in part of 2006-2007, IIRC.  

Vince

Right as always.  I checked: our first Crystal cruise was February, 2007, when we encountered the ball.   My dalliance with the round soap was brief, but it was intense.

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Ah, things are getting back to normal on Cruise Critic and hopefully that will extend to actual cruising. On a thread titled "Champagne" we have the history of sinks and soap, I LOVE it!! I 

Patty

P.S. If we can manage to work in bedside mats, waste basket doilies and pillow chocolates (but not those disgusting raisin things!), I'll know all is right with the world.

Don't worry,  the resident hall monitor will be along to chide us to stay on topic, so:  Champagne, yes it's good.  I like it. 

13 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Oh well.... I love Red Flower products and would enjoy them in our cabin

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Ah, things are getting back to normal on Cruise Critic and hopefully that will extend to actual cruising. On a thread titled "Champagne" we have the history of sinks and soap, I LOVE it!! I knew I remembered the round soap, but if Vince's dates are correct, and I have every confidence in his memory, I experienced it on just my first Crystal cruise. I actually liked the glass "salad bowl" lavatories with the slightly green tint to the glass!!

Patty

probably you will be mad at me once again but i really cannot resist the following 

pillow chocolates : somebody😝took them all with him to Disney Cruises ...