Jump to content

Sapphire beach?


Recommended Posts

We arrive on the Harmony of the Seas at the end of January and are looking for a nice beach to chill on for the day. We want loungers, an umbrella and access to a bar/cafe for drinks. Last year we went to Magens and it wasn't a good day. We got there just after 10am and it was absolutely jam packed. We paid for beds and had to drag them a long way down the beach and then squeeze in were we could.  So this time we're looking elsewhere. Would Sapphire be any better?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mimi, Are you on the Harmony Jan 16th sailing?

 

Sapphire Beach is a nice beach, but you have to rent chairs from the resort there and at times the beach bar can get a bit noisy.  But the snorkeling is great there.  Lots of fish around.  Love Froot Loops.

 

For something quieter, and equal nice and relaxing , maybe look into Secret Harbor.

 

Caveat is that the Harmony docks in Crown Bay, not Havensite so you have to go through Charlotte Amalie to get to the east side.  Brewers Bay is on the West Side, great beach but you need to bring towels or chairs.  No rentals there.  Usually a couple of food trucks along the road.  There are showers and toilets. 

 

Lindberg Beach is the close beach to Crown Bay. Can get crowded 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, we're on the 16th sailing! I'll have a look at Secret Harbor. I'm determined this time to drag my husband off the ship nice and early! 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Since you want those amenities any beach offering them will be where the vast majority of day visitors head to...but yes Sapphire would be a better choice...


As crewsweeper mentioned Lindbergh Bay (aka “Emerald Beach” for the Emerald Beach Resort) is quite close (short taxi) and is a nice beach This beach is ideal for those docking in Crown Bay who want a decent beach close to port. We always recommended the Island Beachcomber, but that closed, sadly. The Emerald Beach Resort has all the amenities you ask for plus a beach bar.

 

For a gorgeous beach (with your amenities) Sapphire is our choice. Just a beautiful beach with gorgeous water colors and island views. There are areas (some with natural shade, no umbrellas) to relax away from the beach bar where most visitors hang. We like the area to the right as you face the water by the sea grape trees in front of condo bldg A. It is ironshore there and most visitors will park in the sandier beach area by the rental shack and beach bar...
 

AA Divers at the Secret Harbour Resort reserves a specific area for lounges for day visitors and they can run out of lounges and umbrellas so do get there early (or reserve ahead with AA). Secret Harbor is a very calm bay and smaller than Sapphire so it can get a bit congested. Not as nice as Sapphire IMHO but has a good restaurant...

 

Coki is another choice with all of the amenities. Coki is a smaller, more intimate beach and is one of our favorite beaches when there are no ships in port. But it has a very busy vibe when ships are in. 

 

And many like taking the short ferry to Water Island and heading to Honeymoon Beach. Last we were there the two beach bars (Heidi’s and Dinghy’s) served food and drink and there were free lounges by the nicer beach area. But it gets very busy today, and when excursion outfits drop guests for lunch it gets very busy...This would not be our choice for a nice beach day...

 

Sapphire, SH and Coki are popular for snorkeling. Vendors at Coki will sell you cereal to feed the fish but it is not goo for them or the environment...

 

 

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure -And the number and the size of ships in port with you, and your arrival time are important considerations when going to a popular beach. But if there are still fewer ships in January you may have several great choices! And if you have 2 - 4 hours to transfer, STJ is just a taxi and short ferry away. Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay on STJ are also beautiful, Trunk is typically more crowded than Cinnamon, but may offer amenities...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A typo in my last post - Transfer time to/from a STJ beach is typically 2 - 2.5 hours with the 20 - 30 min taxi to the Red Hook ferry, 15 minute ferry + any wait time at the terminal, and 10 min taxi to the beach + any wait time. The ferry runs every hour on the hour and very reliable. Just adds an extra hour + versus an East End beach like Coki, Lindqvist, Sapphire or Secret Harbor...

For anyone venturing to STJ the safari taxi drivers offer an island tour before being dropped at the beach for ~$25/pp...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were in St. Thomas December 2019 and went to Sapphire beach and it was perfection.   I, too, was worried about the crowds at Magens and wanted something less busy, but not desolate.    We walked maybe fifty yards down the beach past the beach bar and found some sun/shade (lots of trees for shade) and parked on our towels right in the sand.  We brought a little speaker so we could have some music.  Kids had a blast and then like sent from heaven a server walked by and asked if he could get us anything.   Ummmmmmm....   does a bear #$&%* in the woods?   Brought us drinks and food all day.

 

The one thing we did ahead of time was book a private transfer (there were 7 of us), but not sure if you would need to do that.   I'm a worrier, so it set my mind at ease.   

 

The water was amazing, the beach was fun - and there were lots of kite surfers flying about and made for great entertainment.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great info Djsmrs, Sapphire is all of that. STT offers a pretty good variety of beach choices, but it is typically a busy port, and since most are looking for that ideal beach with amenities they all get busy...On our first cruses to STT/STJ the directors always recommended Magens and Trunk. Taxi drivers recommended Coki because their friend or family worked there.

No vendors at Sapphire and enough amenities and space to enjoy your time!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 7:51 AM, blue_water said:

Since you want those amenities any beach offering them will be where the vast majority of day visitors head to...but yes Sapphire would be a better choice...


As crewsweeper mentioned Lindbergh Bay (aka “Emerald Beach” for the Emerald Beach Resort) is quite close (short taxi) and is a nice beach This beach is ideal for those docking in Crown Bay who want a decent beach close to port. We always recommended the Island Beachcomber, but that closed, sadly. The Emerald Beach Resort has all the amenities you ask for plus a beach bar.

 

For a gorgeous beach (with your amenities) Sapphire is our choice. Just a beautiful beach with gorgeous water colors and island views. There are areas (some with natural shade, no umbrellas) to relax away from the beach bar where most visitors hang. We like the area to the right as you face the water by the sea grape trees in front of condo bldg A. It is ironshore there and most visitors will park in the sandier beach area by the rental shack and beach bar...
 

AA Divers at the Secret Harbour Resort reserves a specific area for lounges for day visitors and they can run out of lounges and umbrellas so do get there early (or reserve ahead with AA). Secret Harbor is a very calm bay and smaller than Sapphire so it can get a bit congested. Not as nice as Sapphire IMHO but has a good restaurant...

 

Coki is another choice with all of the amenities. Coki is a smaller, more intimate beach and is one of our favorite beaches when there are no ships in port. But it has a very busy vibe when ships are in. 

 

And many like taking the short ferry to Water Island and heading to Honeymoon Beach. Last we were there the two beach bars (Heidi’s and Dinghy’s) served food and drink and there were free lounges by the nicer beach area. But it gets very busy today, and when excursion outfits drop guests for lunch it gets very busy...This would not be our choice for a nice beach day...

 

Sapphire, SH and Coki are popular for snorkeling. Vendors at Coki will sell you cereal to feed the fish but it is not goo for them or the environment...

 

 

I certainly hope your getting paid for all this. In the event your not you should be. 

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, blue_water said:

Great info Djsmrs, Sapphire is all of that. STT offers a pretty good variety of beach choices, but it is typically a busy port, and since most are looking for that ideal beach with amenities they all get busy...On our first cruses to STT/STJ the directors always recommended Magens and Trunk. Taxi drivers recommended Coki because their friend or family worked there.

No vendors at Sapphire and enough amenities and space to enjoy your time!

Sapphire is the shizzle 🙂, best beach on St. Thomas in the future I'm keeping things very simple on St. Thomas if I don't take the ferry over to STJ, I'm spending my day at Sapphire and not spending weeks trying to decide on which beach I'm going to on St. Thomas. It's one or the other.

Only way I would ever go back to Megan's is if we were the only ship in port and thats not happening. Getting down in there is bad enough getting back up out of there is a disaster. Sapphire Beach😉

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Morningstar was still closed as of late April. But I’d pose that question on the St Thomas forum on TripAdvisor as that may have changed, or may change before you sail in November…

Edited by blue_water
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Between Sapphire, Secret Sands and Emerald, which one please?

Docking in Crown Bay. Ship had excursion to Sapphire and Secret Sands, Emerald is pretty much next door and have been before, but never been to SS or Sapphire.

Edited by Arzeena
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the nice recommendations, we are headed to St. Thomas on the Edge in less than two weeks and now have plans to hit up Sapphire Beach-thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 1:02 PM, Djsmrs said:

We were in St. Thomas December 2019 and went to Sapphire beach and it was perfection. 

same, except for November 2019!

It was very nice and quiet, which is what we want.

Here are a couple of our pics of the place:  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 7:06 PM, Arzeena said:

Between Sapphire, Secret Sands and Emerald, which one please?

Docking in Crown Bay. Ship had excursion to Sapphire and Secret Sands, Emerald is pretty much next door and have been before, but never been to SS or Sapphire.

Do you want the typical amenities (lounges, food/drink)? If so between SS (Lindqvist) and Sapphire it’s beautiful Sapphire. If you’d like a slightly less “touristy” beach day, grab a lunch and drinks at Crown or at Moe’s in Red Hook and plop your towels in a quieter spot on Lindqvist which is arguably the nicest beach on the island…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 4:00 PM, blue_water said:

Do you want the typical amenities (lounges, food/drink)? If so between SS (Lindqvist) and Sapphire it’s beautiful Sapphire. If you’d like a slightly less “touristy” beach day, grab a lunch and drinks at Crown or at Moe’s in Red Hook and plop your towels in a quieter spot on Lindqvist which is arguably the nicest beach on the island…

We took a cab to down town and walked around a bit. Then we went to Emerald. We have always loved its proximity to Crown Bay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We took a cab to down town and walked around a bit. Then we went to Emerald. We have always loved its proximity to Crown Bay.

Yes Lindbergh is very convenient. I just read my post and apparently I deleted some of it 🤔. I meant to say both Lindqvist and Sapphire are gorgeous, but Lindqvist is arguably the nicest beach on the island...

There - that makes more sense! 😁
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...