Cruises from Haifa , whats it mean now?

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not yet. Like CEO Fain says, "you are safer on a ship than Main St".

I think that is the last place I would want to be, like a sitting duck with 1000's of locals on it.

I don't see how they can now get 1 person on 1 of those sailings now.

Plus I don't see Royal bringing  even 1 of their ships near that port now.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Israelis are used to the threat of attacks though. 

How bout the cruiseline, do they not mind possible getting their ship shot at?

I think they might draw the line there.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Right, but they may not make that call till maybe a couple of days out. The situation could be completely different in 3 weeks and only the conditions around the port matter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Right, but they may not make that call till maybe a couple of days out. The situation could be completely different in 3 weeks and only the conditions around the port matter.

How long does it take to redirect a missle? you mean that kind of call? You got tot think they aren't going to chance it?

Edited by Jimbo

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm sure they're not thrilled about the violence in the area. But honestly Haifa is out of the way and wouldn't likely be a target anyway, especially a cruise ship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm sure they're not thrilled about the violence in the area. But honestly Haifa is out of the way and wouldn't likely be a target anyway, especially a cruise ship. 

Only takes 1 nut in a bag of nuts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

With the issues they are having in that country now, what will Royal do? Cancel all those cruises too?

It will be over in a couple of days.... there will be pressure from "above" to stop the hostilities.

The 1st cruises are more than 3 weeks away -- an eternity in the Middle East...

Beside, those cruises are ONLY for Israeli residents. We know the risks.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Haifa is nowhere near the problem areas of Gaza and some of the rioting in the West Bank.

I would imagine that people in the Haifa and Tel Aviv are going about their daily lives as usual.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, M&A said:

I would imagine that people in the Haifa and Tel Aviv are going about their daily lives as usual

Haifa -- yes.

Tel Aviv -- not so much... The schools/kindergartens are closed, lots of people remained at home after the bombings yesterday evening and during the night....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Haifa -- yes.

Tel Aviv -- not so much... The schools/kindergartens are closed, lots of people remained at home after the bombings yesterday evening and during the night....

Isn’t the airport shut down also.

14 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Yes, it was -- yesterday evening for about an hour and a half.

I hope you are all well Dani.

I have heard about previous troubles in Israel on UK TV but this is the first time through knowing yourself on here that we have really understood first hand the terror that is daily life in Israel.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dani - I want to echo what Graham said!  We are horrified by the aerial attacks and grateful that the “iron dome” works so well!  Prayers are being said for you and your family!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

True, but that could go for any middle eastern port of call.

Not sure why you single out the Middle East. There have been terrorist attacks in all parts of the world. For RC, I would guess the closest call was the attack in Nice a few years back. 

43 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

Not sure why you single out the Middle East. There have been terrorist attacks in all parts of the world. For RC, I would guess the closest call was the attack in Nice a few years back. 

Correct. I was on a back to back cruise of Northern Europe and the Med. I think it was 2016. I had two ports canceled because of terrorist attacks during those two cruises. Nice and Belgium.

Edited by wreckem2013

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

How long does it take to redirect a missle? you mean that kind of call? You got tot think they aren't going to chance it?

Missiles from Gaza are more like bottle rockets - totally unguided.  And while Iron Dome can hit them the debris still falls somewhere.  Israelis are the toughest folks I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Living in Israel is sureal even at the best of times.   I am writing this post on my coffee break at work in the south center of Israel.  Twenty minutes ago we had a warning siren and we went to the safe room, waited the proscribed 10 minutes and then returned to work.  That's how it's been at home and elsewhere numerous times since this started and in the past.

As Dani said unfortunately we are used to it and life goes on.

I do believe that baring an active skirmish at that time, come the beginning of June, the cruises will sail.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1