Jump to content

Post Cruise Ideas, While Waiting For Flights....


Recommended Posts

The Bahamas page is dead... we're getting off Adventure in a couple weeks,  and then have about six hours to kill before going to the airport. 

 

If I was in Jamaica, Honduras, Caymans, or St. Kitts, I'll call one of the trusty tour guides you guys have recommended over the years, to show us around, bring us to a nice beach and what not but I have no one for Nassau, and the information I've found online as been minimal.   

 

Other than dropping $100 an hour to go to Atlantis,  I'm kinda lost.

 

What do you guys like to do post cruise.... luggage in tow..... while waiting for your flight?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could check with the British Colonial Hilton (since they are working with Royal for check in) and see if they will do a Day Pass for Disembarkation Day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
Just now, sandebeach said:

He is doing Nassau Bahamas, not Bermuda.

oops !  lol  Bermuda, much nicer 🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

Do any of the local hotels have day passes?


pre -Covid several hotels did day passes but you would need to contact directly to see what is available right now.

 

I would contact a broker like Island marketing and see what they can offer - private driver with airport drop-off, or hotel day pass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cured said:

https://www.resortforaday.com/destinations/nassau-bahamas-day-passes/

 

We used this company on Freeport and were very satisfied.


They are certainly worth trying and at least give you an indication of which hotels have offered day passes. In general, (not always) I have found them to be more expensive than booking direct, or through other brokers. 
 

I always check direct AND through brokers, sometimes the times,/amenities offered/ prices are different.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cured said:

https://www.resortforaday.com/destinations/nassau-bahamas-day-passes/

 

We used this company on Freeport and were very satisfied.

This is a great resource and it is current, I was able to plug in our Adventure cruise. British Hilton is $100 per adult , with a $40 food credit, and $50 per child with a $20 food credit. Cruisers can arrive as early as 9 AM. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

The Hilton looks like our only option,  was hoping to get out and see the island more...  but just haven't found a good option yet.


Why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

This is a great resource and it is current, I was able to plug in our Adventure cruise. British Hilton is $100 per adult , with a $40 food credit, and $50 per child with a $20 food credit. Cruisers can arrive as early as 9 AM. 


 Not sure I would want to pay that much to hang out there when all the Pre-cruisers are arriving.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

The Hilton looks like our only option,  was hoping to get out and see the island more...  but just haven't found a good option yet.

@RCCL Fan   Just as an FYI, I am looking at your signature and I am confused. Are you on Adventure for June 2021? The cruise dates are June 12, June 19, and June 26, but you have  listed June 21?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:


 Not sure I would want to pay that much to hang out there when all the Pre-cruisers are arriving.

 

 

Hmmm, yeah, that might be an expensive six hours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

@RCCL Fan   Just as an FYI, I am looking at your signature and I am confused. Are you on Adventure for June 2021? The cruise dates are June 12, June 19, and June 26, but you have  listed June 21?

 

It's the month and year

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are in the same situation, the flight back to DFW isn’t until 6pm. 
 

I also saw in one of the articles about the cruises that Nassau plans be able to transport luggage directly to and from the ship. We did this in Seattle in 2019 and it was wonderful. We just carefully packed our pack packs as overnight bags/carryons and were able to explore before heading to the airport. 

 

If the luggage transport is an option we might head to Love Beach. It just off the north end of the runway so watching planes come in could be fun (but we are all aviation nerds at my house), and there is apparently good snorkeling. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you can find a way to get your luggage directly to the airport, you can easily burn 6 hours walking around Nassau. Was on the Liberty a few years ago when we had to spend 2 days in Nassau to get the thrusters fixed (Great trip. Only $700 for a family of 4 and they had the best food ever. Even had rack of lamb in the Windjammer). Nice walk from the ship, up to Queens Stairs, up and over the cause-way, and to the free beach access. About a quarter mile from the beach access is a fantastic little pond with tons of ducks, song-birds, and tons of fish waiting to be fed. Was with the wife and kids and never felt unsafe. We walk fast and I think it took about 90 minutes to get to the beach taking the long way so more like 2-3 hours for most folks. Right at the free beach access is where all the taxis hang out so no problem going from there to the airport.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s really not that much to do in Nassau even in the best of times. We were just there last week and with the exception of large resorts and the fish fry, most things are closed and have been closed since March 2020. They predicted some things would reopen in time for cruising. I’m positive that means ALL of the jewelry stores downtown but I fear there will still be a lot of things that don’t open. The island is very limited with vaccines. Having said that, even though it’s expensive, if you ever wanted to visit Atlantis now is the time! It’s practically empty! No lines, no crowds! We’ve been to Atlantis 6 times & last week was most definitely the best time we’ve ever had. Everyone loves Atlantis but the biggest complaint is too expensive & too crowded. The expense is still there but the crowds are non existent! It was fantastic. And during recovery from COVID, you’ll really enjoy it because I’d venture to guess it’s at 20-25% capacity right now. If you chose that option you won’t regret it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Smq123 said:

There’s really not that much to do in Nassau even in the best of times. We were just there last week and with the exception of large resorts and the fish fry, most things are closed and have been closed since March 2020. They predicted some things would reopen in time for cruising. I’m positive that means ALL of the jewelry stores downtown but I fear there will still be a lot of things that don’t open. The island is very limited with vaccines. Having said that, even though it’s expensive, if you ever wanted to visit Atlantis now is the time! It’s practically empty! No lines, no crowds! We’ve been to Atlantis 6 times & last week was most definitely the best time we’ve ever had. Everyone loves Atlantis but the biggest complaint is too expensive & too crowded. The expense is still there but the crowds are non existent! It was fantastic. And during recovery from COVID, you’ll really enjoy it because I’d venture to guess it’s at 20-25% capacity right now. If you chose that option you won’t regret it. 

Used to be that booking a room at Comfort Suites, and not using it was the way to go, for a “cheap” day pass to Atlantis - don’t know if that will still work?

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Used to be that booking a room at Comfort Suites, and not using it was the way to go, for a “cheap” day pass to Atlantis - don’t know if that will still work?

 

It's still a thing.... I put one on hold.  Only $50 cheaper than buying from the hotel directly, so not sure how much better it will be with the extra taxi trips, but I grabbed it just in case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

 

It's still a thing.... I put one on hold.  Only $50 cheaper than buying from the hotel directly, so not sure how much better it will be with the extra taxi trips, but I grabbed it just in case. 


Not sure I understand the “extra taxi trips” but in your case at least it gives you somewhere to leave your bags at reception even if you don’t use your room.
 

Unlike most cruisers you may even be able to access your room for freshen up before you leave.

 

Pricing for day passes at Atlantis is seasonal from what I remember and varies with demand which presumably isn't very high at the moment.We haven’t used the Comfort suites alternative because of course like any hotel room charges vary with season/circumstances and the one time we considered it, it was not a bargain. I believe it includes 4 passes?

 

I recall people on roll calls used to get together and share the costs if they didn’t want all the passes.

Edited by c-leg5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We actually booked a private tour around Nassau with drop off at the airport.   It’s a tour we booked over a year ago that we transferred from canceled cruise to canceled cruise.  It had a non-refundable deposit so we’re finally getting to use it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:


Not sure I understand the “extra taxi trips” but in your case at least it gives you somewhere to leave your bags at reception even if you don’t use your room.

 

Well I could be wrong, but I assume I'll need taxis between comfort suites and atlantis to pick up passes and drop off bags, and then back again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...