New CDC guidelines say vaccinated Americans can now ditch the masks, with a few exceptions

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-recommends-pfizer-vaccine-kids-080021664.html

"Anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities, large or small, without wearing a mask or physical distancing,'' Walensky said. "If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic.''

Cruising can't be too far away

Don't book those line dancing classes yet, states and local health depts. can still keep the mask mandates going.

Read the headline only, but Los Angeles County plans to keep the mask mandate going a bit longer.

Calif Gov Newsom sounds like he's planning to keep it going until mid-June.

Anyone who thinks that people are going to tell the truth if they haven't been vaccinated is being very gullible.  It would be interesting to take a CC poll about how many of our none-vaccinated members would be honest.  I'll bet that it would be an extremely small number.  This new rule essentially throws away all precautions.

DON

Also, private business may still require employees and customers to wear masks.  So, don't be obnoxious and do the "I'm vaccinated, I don't need no stinkin' mask" deal.  Observe the business rule.  

13 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Also, private business may still require employees and customers to wear masks.  So, don't be obnoxious and do the "I'm vaccinated, I don't need no stinkin' mask" deal.  Observe the business rule.  

This!! Even Florida's law, and its "who cares" outlook, allows business to do any Covid restriction, like mandatory masks, as long as they don't ask vaccine status.

27 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Anyone who thinks that people are going to tell the truth if they haven't been vaccinated is being very gullible.  It would be interesting to take a CC poll about how many of our none-vaccinated members would be honest.  I'll bet that it would be an extremely small number.  This new rule essentially throws away all precautions.

DON

Unfortunately I think you are right re the honesty factor here. A CC poll wouldn't help as they would lie on that as well because they feel entitled. 

I am in two minds as I think that the changes might help those who are hesitant especially if they don't see a benefit to them this might be the push they need.. The anti-vaxxers will always do what they want as they have little regard for the community.

33 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Reminds me of the shopping cart theory.  

I’m guessing all the mask pushers on cc who said masks are here to stay, I’ll not cruise if masks are not required, I’ll continue to wear them for a long time, they’re just second nature—hardly know I have it on, will be the first to rip them off.

Waiting to see what the US infection numbers are in a couple of weeks after this new "no mask" ruling from the CDC.  Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite them in the arse!

Went to my favorite coffee joint this morning for my humungo latte and their amazing blueberry scones.  Everyone, from employees to patrons, were wearing their masks.  This place gets a wide mix of people, from the town locals to some of the rural folks on their way into the city.  It's pretty easy to tell who is which group, as the county is very split, politics-wise, between our town and the rural folks.  Vaccinations follow that dynamic.  
I'm going down to the city today - I'll see what happens.  My mantra: have mask, will travel.  

36 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Went to my favorite coffee joint this morning for my humungo latte and their amazing blueberry scones.  Everyone, from employees to patrons, were wearing their masks.  This place gets a wide mix of people, from the town locals to some of the rural folks on their way into the city.  It's pretty easy to tell who is which group, as the county is very split, politics-wise, between our town and the rural folks.  Vaccinations follow that dynamic.  
I'm going down to the city today - I'll see what happens.  My mantra: have mask, will travel.  

My experience this morning, I went to a garage as my DW's car was up for its yearly inspection. There has always been a sign for masks required, but the employees never did  wear them and often customers would come in without masks, though I wore mine. Now with the new rules, I was not wearing a mask. But now the person behind the counter was and asked if I had a mask. So I put it on though mentioning I was fully vaccinated.

I went to the post office this morning.  No mask.  I went to the grocery store.  No mask.  I went to my volunteer job.  No mask.  

11 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I’m guessing all the mask pushers on cc who said masks are here to stay, I’ll not cruise if masks are not required, I’ll continue to wear them for a long time, they’re just second nature—hardly know I have it on, will be the first to rip them off.

I'm guessing you're wrong

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

I went to the post office this morning.  No mask.  I went to the grocery store.  No mask.  I went to my volunteer job.  No mask.  

Wal-Mart just announced that they are dropping the mask mandate. I must say. I didn't expect that so soon.

I can go to a Walmart without a mask. Hopefully I'm allowed to take a sip of water on the hull of the ship if no one else is outside.

12 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

Waiting to see what the US infection numbers are in a couple of weeks after this new "no mask" ruling from the CDC.  Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite them in the arse!

Who cares? It'll bite the folks that chose not to protect themselves. Choices have consequences. Some chose protection, some choose to risk it. Might be a wake up call to those who are hesitant or even against the vaccine. Either way, these restrictions were temporary in order to not overload the healthcare system and gain some breathing room to develop a vaccine. Mission accomplished! Time to shift back to personal responsibility.   

14 hours ago, jwattle said:

I'm guessing you're wrong

You’re probably right since that would deflate their personal agendas. Such a dilemma for them: give it all up or deny the CDC.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:00 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

Vax status shouldn’t really be a problem for the cruise line. At check in show passport, credit card, and vax card. No vax card, you get that status noted on your on board account, photo that pops up when getting of the ship, and on your shipboard card.

Now, that might be an issue for that state that dangles off the southeast coast of the US. If the cruise industry is so essential to their economy, DeathSantis may need to strike a new pose and find another issue to rile up the crowd.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Keksie said:

Things are different on the Left Coast. I went to the post office, grocery store, $tarbuck$, different grocery store, self-serve gas station (OUCH$$😲). Everybody was masked.

The second grocery store even had a washy-washy person. No washy-washy no go in.

Edited by Philob
33 minutes ago, Philob said:

Things are different on the Left Coast. I went to the post office, grocery store, $tarbuck$, different grocery store, self-serve gas station (OUCH$$😲). Everybody was masked.

The second grocery store even had a washy-washy person. No washy-washy no go in.

Life is far more rational here in AZ.  Mask requirements have been reducing for months and have now almost completely disappeared.  

I was happy to remove my mask,,, then,, I looked around and immediately put it back on. Just so others wouldn't think I was a conservative republican. 🤣

39 minutes ago, Philob said:

Things are different on the Left Coast

It's actually a function of where you live.  In my coastal area the masks came off in a heart beat.  I went out yesterday and the previously waning compliance with the rules that I had observed was now gone. It must have created angst for some as I live in an area that is both well off and highly progressive.

I almost want to go to CostCo to see the crowds now that masks aren't required per corporate policy!

31 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

It's actually a function of where you live.  In my coastal area the masks came off in a heart beat.  I went out yesterday and the previously waning compliance with the rules that I had observed was now gone. It must have created angst for some as I live in an area that is both well off and highly progressive.

I almost want to go to CostCo to see the crowds now that masks aren't required per corporate policy!

The corporate Costco policy says Costco stores will require masks where state or local policies require masks. As of right now, that includes California.

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The corporate Costco policy says Costco stores will require masks where state or local policies require masks. As of right now, that includes California.

I guess we will wait another month.  

Just now, SelectSys said:

I guess we will wait another month.  

Or maybe just a few hours, or a couple of days...there are changes being considered at the state level. That's why I said "As of right now"...