How can the cruise lines go around the FL law

Please do not interpret this as bashing as it isn't, but are there ways to around the current FL law that a business cannot check for vaccination. 

Can they require another form of proof showing you are safe like a negative Covid test or proof of antigens.

I think any discussion is very premature, because the law looks to have a few poorly written sections leaving it open to interpretation as well. And in addition it's going to be subject to challenges as well.

But some silly stuff that comes to mind is simply allowing anyone to buy a $150,000 cabin, and to offer a discount to those who prove vaccination, or some other combination of limited services or access to ship services unless proving vaccination. 

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Make all vaccination confirmations happen on the website. Which then technically the verification isn't occurring in Florida.  

Unless you are from FL?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Make all vaccination confirmations happen on the website. Which then technically the verification isn't occurring in Florida.  

Which would work well considering you can't walk up to the pier and buy a ticket for a sailing. I remember the good ol' days you could show up and hope for a last-minute open cabin. 🙂

Edited by dswallow

Another thought. Could RC hire a non-Florida 3rd party to do the vaccine verification?

There just seem to be plenty of workarounds (if a workaround is truly needed)

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Another thought. Could RC hire a non-Florida 3rd party to do the vaccine verification?

There just seem to be plenty of workarounds (if a workaround is truly needed)

My hope is that there will be some accommodation made to prevent a court case.

10 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Which would work well considering you can't walk up to the pier and buy a ticket for a sailing. I remember the good ol' days you could show up and hope for a last-minute open cabin. 🙂

I remember those days also. OPPss dating myself now.

17 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Pull the ships out of Florida completely and he’ll fold like accordion, and still take all the credit for saving the industry.

They can come on up to NYC, Baltimore, Norfolk and Charleston.

4 hours ago, cruisinghawg said:

Please do not interpret this as bashing as it isn't, but are there ways to around the current FL law that a business cannot check for vaccination. 

Can they require another form of proof showing you are safe like a negative Covid test or proof of antigens.

Are there ways around Law?  Is that what you're really asking?  Yes - be rich, famous or a politician.  Otherwise, no.

The simplest way around FL law prohibiting vac passport is simply to not require vaccines to cruise.

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Doesn’t matter where the verification takes place. 

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Not one of the bigger ones? Wow! How uninformed this guy is. 

Compared to Carnival and RCL, it’s not. Carnival has almost 5 times as much revenue and RCL has three times as much as NCL. So, from that standpoint - in terms of the cruise lines that cruise out of US ports it’s not the biggest nor is it the 2nd biggest. 

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I remember when I was a kid we would lightly flick a lightbulb to see if it really was burned out.  I think someone should do that to DeSantis' head............because I think his wires inside are on the fritz.

But his statement was accurate. NCL doesn’t even approach Carnival or RCL in terms of revenue and/or passengers. It’s the last of the three - way down there last.

1 hour ago, The Grumpus said:

Are there ways around Law?  Is that what you're really asking?  Yes - be rich, famous or a politician.  Otherwise, no.

The simplest way around FL law prohibiting vac passport is simply to not require vaccines to cruise.

Then as a vaccinated person, I don't really want to be on that ship. :classic_tongue:

11 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

They can come on up to NYC, Baltimore, Norfolk and Charleston.

We've got some room up in Boston, too!  

8 hours ago, later said:

Yes but they still are minor number of ships compared to all the other cruise shiips of Royal and Carnival Corp.  I never said they weren’t #3 but when it comes to passenger count in Florida it wouldn’t be missed.

The fact that they are #3 most certainly makes them "one of the bigger ones".

8 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Huh? They have ships in Miami, Port Canaveral, seasonal in Tampa. After Carnival and Royal, who do you think is number three?

Agreed. How could the number three line not be considered "one of the bigger ones"?

12 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Pull the ships out of Florida completely and he’ll fold like accordion, and still take all the credit for saving the industry.

First, nothing compares to the Florida top three port capacities.

Second, almost the same for pre- and post cruise vacations, beaches and attractions, there are no alternatives for the scale and breadth of options.

Re: the continue political components of posts, it's sad to see such a lack of self-control and self-discipline to not only the target but other CruiseCritic members.  The "gang of hearts" is symbolic of extent of such, and the vaccine theme of "do it for others" should also be embraced of "refraining from such posts for other CruiseCritic members."

Thanks.

Shrug. My next three cruises (Oasis, Aug. 29), Anthem (Dec. 31) and Enchantment (May, 2022) don't leave from Florida. Until I want to go back to Cuba, I'm not sweating Ron DeSantis.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

@At Sea At Peace so I assume you are okay with what the governor is doing?  If so I guess you don't want cruising to start in Florida. Is this correct?

@Jimbo First, we all know it is unwise to assume.  😉  Further with regard to "guessing."

As an almost half Floridian 😲 and being the other half a "live free or die" granite state lifer, I'm just not into the political theater and drama of any governor, congressional member, etc.  

To begin with, in Florida, "he," the governor, did not perform an Executive Action (a tool that has been used so massively during the pandemic around the country and world) "this time" (he did previously, but wisely sought the legislative "a bill becomes a law" process).

He signed a bill presented to him from Florida's legislative body and process.

It also addressed two other important areas beyond vaccine passports.

"Governor Ron DeSantis was joined by local legislators and small business owners in St. Petersburg where he signed Senate Bill (SB) 2006, landmark legislation aimed at stemming the tide of local and state government overreach.

The bill takes aim at arbitrary lockdowns, vaccine passports and enhances emergency preparedness for future emergencies."

So, those opposed to this law focusing on the one signing it only appear to be purposeful.

I further do not believe that there won't be a reasonable process to resolve the issue.

Edited by At Sea At Peace