U.S. Senate allows Alaska-bound cruise ships to bypass Canada; House action could allow summer cruises this year

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

The news we saw was the temporary suspension of the Jones act (cargo)...not the PVSA (passengers).  

Does anyone know for sure if it was PVSA as well?  

Since Sen Murkoski’s specifically called out passenger ships I think it must be PVSA relief. 

30 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Yep.  Still, as was the point or message, it was and is nice to see no opposition.  👍

Not sure of that. Voice vote is whoever was in the chamber at the time. We'll see what happens on the House side.

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

The news we saw was the temporary suspension of the Jones act (cargo)...not the PVSA (passengers).  

Does anyone know for sure if it was PVSA as well?  

The Jones Act suspension was for the fuel shortages.

4 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Not sure of that. Voice vote is whoever was in the chamber at the time. We'll see what happens on the House side.

Correct.

The post was a positive post on the Senate that appeared absent partisanship.  I like that, I also know others do not.  It is what it is.  Yes, now it goes over the (Animal) House, where anything can happen.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Correct.

The post was a positive post on the Senate that appeared absent partisanship.  I like that, I also know others do not.  It is what it is.  Yes, now it goes over the (Animal) House, where anything can happen.

Who doesn’t like it? I’m just trying to keep you honest. I’m glad it passed and I expect it will get through the House as well but we don’t know how many senators voted and how many voted yes or no. Don’t count your chickens…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I see this bill not only covered the PVSA but also addressed the issue of the crew having the incorrect Visa which many on here said would be another stumbling block.

Yes, the cruise lines just need to let Canada know about them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

Still have our Solstice for Late August that was a L&S from last year.  Fingers crossed.   Guess I will start looking for flights. 

Fond memories...our last Alaska cruise was on the Solstice before the pandemic.

Wondering if you'll receive an itinerary change and what ports, if any, will replace Vancouver and Victoria Island.  Happy Sailing!

The companion bill, H.R.1318 has not even had a hearing yet in the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation. That is when and where all of the legal and political subtleties will be discussed.

13 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

The companion bill, H.R.1318 has not even had a hearing yet in the Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation. That is when and where all of the legal and political subtleties will be discussed.

There probably won't be any hearings on this, but they will need to reconcile the Senate amendment.

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

Who doesn’t like it? I’m just trying to keep you honest. I’m glad it passed and I expect it will get through the House as well but we don’t know how many senators voted and how many voted yes or no. Don’t count your chickens…

Oh please.

14 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

You may be right ... but since ... IMO, the US maritime labor unions will not like S.593 at all. The bill may not pass in the D-controlled US HOR. We shall see.

Possibly, but two things: one, it is limited to the list of cruise ships in the bill, and two, it expires in March 2022. The number of Alaska cruises that actually occur before then will be few if any.

23 hours ago, Pratique said:

The Jones Act suspension was for the fuel shortages.

Understand/knew  that...but was the PVSA act also temporarily suspended.  I did not see that.  

Found your link...thanks!  Though I am assuming the PVSA rule is still in force until they change that one also I think.  Has not passed yet.  Interesting process.  

Edited by island lady

At this point I believe it is probably too late for this bill to have much if any effect.  Even if the house moved on it there would not be much time left of a short season.  It would probably not be worth the cost to move the ships for such a short season.  Seattle can handle 3 ships per day.  If schedules could be adjusted there could be 21 per week but I very much doubt the cruise line would attempt to bring in that many.  There could be a few just to show some effort.  As for Royal,  I would be surprised if they brought one in but I would sail on it if they did.  

• Like 2

Just as a bit of follow-up on the topic.

Governor Inslee released a list of things that will open up in Washington State on June 30th.

Cruise ships was not on the list.  It only allows ships carrying up to 250 passengers.

Until he changes his position, there will be no Alaska Cruises from Seattle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1