Senate passes bill so that Alaskan cruises can bypass Canada

Win today for Alaskan Tourism. Still have a long way to go before the Alaska season is saved. Namely conformity to the Conditions to Sail from the CDC, the house, and the President signature but positive things are happening!

"The U.S. Senate has passed a bill that will allow foreign-flagged cruise ships to operate in Alaska without calling on a Canadian port as the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act was passed on Thursday."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25000-2021-alaska-cruise-season-may-be-saved-as-senate-passes-key-bill.html

• Like 3

HUGE for cruisers, as well as the Alaskan port communities that thrive when cruise ships are allowed to visit.  I would be shocked if the House does not support a bill that is as economically  friendly as this one.

Alaska needs us (cruisers), and we (cruisers) want to return to Alaska.

Great news.

• Like 2

The JEWEL just went the wrong way thru the Panama Canal and some of the other viable

ships are out of position for this to occur - and then getting a vaccinated crew to man the

ship - 60 days from now just about at the high point of the Alaska cruise market - - - BUT

still yet half a season is better than no season - definitely something can be salvaged.

A bright point could make for some very interesting itineraries LAX SFO SAN Alaska sailings.

Canada missing ports Vancouver and Victoria

Canada may restrict the Canada Inside Passage (Campbell River portion)

Instead of a missed Canada port call - add Sitka for a pleasant alternative.

And then with global warming another last chance to see the glaciers melt away.

With this YET approved and signed temporary measure maybe perchance another

look at the PVSA in another light with fewer restrictions.

• Like 1

I agree, my Alaska cruise in Sept was cancelled so I booked a carribean one in Dec. With DeSantis standing in the way of that cruise leaving from PC, I would 100% jump back to my original Alaskan cruise if they brought it back.

Realistically, can this have any practical positive impact on the 2021 cruise season for Alaska?  May and June cruises are out of the question.  July is likely out of the question also.  Maybe some cruising starts in August if all the stars align.  Will the cruise lines move ships into the PNW to cruise for only 2 months?  For one month?

If we are lucky, 2022 can be a normal Alaska cruise season as long as there isn't a COVID resurgence through the northern hemisphere winter.  Canada would be open for business then as well so the new bill's provisions would be un-needed.  

Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to see Alaska cruises restart sometime this summer as long as the CDC deems it to be safe and Alaska is willing to go along with all the CDC requirements.  I hope it can happen....it just seems like that window of opportunity is closing very rapidly.

I'm really happy, as a Canadian,  that the wheels have started turning in the right direction.  I hope your beloved Alaskan cruises will take place and that you'll all have the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful vista that is Alaska. 

Good luck. 

39 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

Realistically, can this have any practical positive impact on the 2021 cruise season for Alaska?  May and June cruises are out of the question.  July is likely out of the question also.  Maybe some cruising starts in August if all the stars align.  Will the cruise lines move ships into the PNW to cruise for only 2 months?  For one month?

Not just a two-month sailing season, but with two months to sell cabins that normally take two years to sell. 

And that's assuming that they pull together the crew, ports, supply lines, etc. necessary in a short amount of time... for half a season. 

And THAT'S assuming the bill gets through the House of Representatives in a timely matter, before inevitably going to a joint committee. 

19 minutes ago, AndyCapn said:

Not just a two-month sailing season, but with two months to sell cabins that normally take two years to sell. 

And that's assuming that they pull together the crew, ports, supply lines, etc. necessary in a short amount of time... for half a season. 

And THAT'S assuming the bill gets through the House of Representatives in a timely matter, before inevitably going to a joint committee. 

Yes.  All of that and more.  I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like this bill is much-ado-about-nothing. 

• Like 2

I live near Seattle and I would gladly jump on an Alaska cruise! Our government said that if things continue on the path they are on, WA state can be fully reopened on June 30th! 

Im not optimistic that this bill will get where it needs to be in time but maybe they can bring some ships here for a west coast cruise? Stop in Mexico for sure to appease the law but I would love to do San Diego and San Francisco. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 8:17 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Win today for Alaskan Tourism. Still have a long way to go before the Alaska season is saved. Namely conformity to the Conditions to Sail from the CDC, the house, and the President signature but positive things are happening!

"The U.S. Senate has passed a bill that will allow foreign-flagged cruise ships to operate in Alaska without calling on a Canadian port as the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act was passed on Thursday."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/25000-2021-alaska-cruise-season-may-be-saved-as-senate-passes-key-bill.html

Good news but...

Do you remember Schoolhouse Rock?

I'm just a bill,

Yes only a bill...

Then the part where it becomes law if the CDC approves it?

Yeah me neither lol 

• Like 1

Right now JEWEL is in Miami - arrived there a couple of days ago, presumably to have the crew vaccinated.

ENCORE is in Singapore anchorage. Not sure what she will go next.

SUN is in Mazatlan, on the Pacific side of Mexico. 

Checked the NCL.com and can see that BLISS is the sole ship for Alaska in Aug, Sept this year. Victoria is still mentioned in her itineraries ...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

All good news.  I'm hoping this becomes permanent, allowing us to cruise to Alaska while bypassing Canada entirely from here moving forward.

Unfortunately, the Alaska Tourism  Recovery act has an expiration date build in. That expiration date coincides with the date that Canada is using to stop cruise ships from visiting.

Granted, the act itself is good news in terms of cruising, but it is unlikely the three requirements will go into effect before the Alaska season ends. In order for Alaska cruises to sail this summer the bill needs to

a) Pass the house

b) Get signed by president

c) Even if that does happen rapidly, cruise ships are still bound to meet the Framework for the Conditions to Sail order from the CDC (which is an even bigger obstacle).

I do wish they had omitted an expiration date in the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act. Let's say this act does go through the house and President. If Canada extends their order past February 28, 2022 it appears this was a giant waste of time.

Entire bill can be read here: 

https://www.murkowski.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/03.04.21 PVSA Legislation.pdf

image.png.90569d61b630e95fa345b2df0881d2c3.png

On 5/14/2021 at 1:17 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Does that mean illegal aliens living in the USA will be allowed to cruise because the ship at San Fran or Seattle will not clear U.S immigration upon returning correct? Like an internal flight does not?

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Does that mean illegal aliens living in the USA will be allowed to cruise because the ship at San Fran or Seattle will not clear U.S immigration upon returning correct? Like an internal flight does not?

Aren't you required to show proof of citizenship upon boarding in the USA? 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I am not an American Citizen so I cannot answer the question. And no I do not live in the country illegally. I just show my passport and my ESTA to come back into the country on the GEM in 2017. I do know a DMV ID which can be issued to illegals is good enough for a flight and that the chances of being caught flying internally are near zero.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Your not required to show proof of US citizenship.  I am a Canadian (living in Canada) and have taken several NCL cruises showing my Canadian passport.   NCL regularly carries non-US citizens as passengers on their ships.

Usually when an airline or ship asks to sea travel documents prior to boarding it is to ensure you meet entry requirements for the country your going to travel to.  

On 5/13/2021 at 7:34 PM, AndyCapn said:

Why would this need to go to a joint committee.  Can't the house just pass the Senate bill?

On 5/15/2021 at 8:28 AM, Sweetnspicy said:

Stop in Mexico for sure to appease the law but I would love to do San Diego and San Francisco. 

Why would a stop in Mexico be required.  Doesn't the bill just suspend the foreign port requirement?

This is great great news for the State of Alaska cruise industry.  Never have like the 6hr Victoria port stop anyway! Hope this bill passes cause the way Canada rolls, without this bill I seriously doubt there would be a 2022 Alaskan season.   

Like this news so much I'm booking a 2022 NCL Alaskan cruise tomorrow. 

• Like 1