Senate passes bill so that Alaskan cruises can bypass Canada

1 minute ago, em-sk said:

Your not required to show proof of US citizenship.  I am a Canadian (living in Canada) and have taken several NCL cruises showing my Canadian passport.   NCL regularly carries non-US citizens as passengers on their ships.

Usually when an airline or ship asks to sea travel documents prior to boarding it is to ensure you meet entry requirements for the country your going to travel to.  

I didn’t state it had to be US citizenship.

I should have said, “aren’t you required to show proof of your citizenship before departing the USA?”.

I thought it was obvious, since any nationality  can embark in the USA, but I see it wasn’t. Sorry for confusion. 

25 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Why would this need to go to a joint committee.  Can't the house just pass the Senate bill?

It can.  But I think the poster you were quoting was making the assumption that the House would not pass the exact same bill. 

21 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Why would a stop in Mexico be required.  Doesn't the bill just suspend the foreign port requirement?

the Alaska Tourism Restorative act only applies to skipping Canada and is specific to Alaska sailings. It wouldn't negate stopping In Mexico when traveling from the Mainland to Hawaii. The full bill can be found here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/593

image.png.eac80a69ec78f177529c78ce99c4dee6.png

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ShakeDaddy said:

This is great great news for the State of Alaska cruise industry.  Never have like the 6hr Victoria port stop anyway! Hope this bill passes cause the way Canada rolls, without this bill I seriously doubt there would be a 2022 Alaskan season.   

Like this news so much I'm booking a 2022 NCL Alaskan cruise tomorrow. 

Except that this legislation expires in Feb of 2022, so cruises after that date will be required to meet the foreign port requirement.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Except that this legislation expires in Feb of 2022, so cruises after that date will be required to meet the foreign port requirement.

Reading as legislation must be completed prior to Feb 2022.  

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ShakeDaddy said:

Reading as legislation must be completed prior to Feb 2022.  

The language states: "voyage begins not later than February 28, 2022".

I  think this bill allows cruises to skip Canada while the emergency order is in place. Currently, Canada has banned cruise ships until February 28, 2022.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/593/text#HB58AAC3E82714059AE17A636A40D6374

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The language states: "voyage begins not later than February 28, 2022".

I  think this bill allows cruises to skip Canada while the emergency order is in place. Currently, Canada has banned cruise ships until February 28, 2022.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/593/text#HB58AAC3E82714059AE17A636A40D6374

So the proposed bill will not allow Alaska sailing if Canada bans cruises after Feb 28, 2022? 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ShakeDaddy said:

So the proposed bill will not allow Alaska sailing if Canada bans cruises after Feb 28, 2022? 

Unfortunately, not as I interpret it.

The bill only pertains to "voyage begins not later than February 28, 2022" because it is no longer needed after that date.

If Canada does not extend the ban, everything is back to normal (stopping in Victoria) on February 28, 2022.

IF Canada extends the ban after February 28, 2022 I would think there may be an easy way  to extend the current bill to conform to Canada's extension. That clause may already be included in the amendments. 

But the way this reads to me is that it is an emergency bill. Once the emergency is over, the cruise ships will return to a mandated stop in Canada.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

the Alaska Tourism Restorative act only applies to skipping Canada and is specific to Alaska sailings. It wouldn't negate stopping In Mexico when traveling from the Mainland to Hawaii. The full bill can be found here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/593

image.png.eac80a69ec78f177529c78ce99c4dee6.png

Yes.  I think that was obvious to all of us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

It can.  But I think the poster you were quoting was making the assumption that the House would not pass the exact same bill. 

Yes, obviously.  But I was poking at his/her assumption.  This isn't one of those controversial/political bills.  It's just a business as usual bill that should fly through if both parties support it.  Apparently, they do.

• Like 1

That’s Good News! Now - let’s get the ball rolling. NCL has pushed the full vaccination. Agree/Not - with that, maybe PCR test at port, extra cabins with prophylaxis like ivermectin or whatever on board... good Infection Control practices - and let’s do this already! Many of us have had no issues on land resorts. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2021 at 5:48 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Unfortunately, not as I interpret it.

The bill only pertains to "voyage begins not later than February 28, 2022" because it is no longer needed after that date.

If Canada does not extend the ban, everything is back to normal (stopping in Victoria) on February 28, 2022.

IF Canada extends the ban after February 28, 2022 I would think there may be an easy way  to extend the current bill to conform to Canada's extension. That clause may already be included in the amendments. 

But the way this reads to me is that it is an emergency bill. Once the emergency is over, the cruise ships will return to a mandated stop in Canada.

I think it is unlikely to see Canada extend the ban. 

The vaccination rollout in Canada had a slow start but is going well, we are a few weeks away from having a higher percentage of people with a first shot that the US.  Having everyone with the second shot is going to around September.  There are a few people who will pas on it but we are probably looking at 80-90% vaccinations by the end of the year.  

The concern in Canada was always ending up with a ship in port with thousands infects and hundreds requiring ICU beds at the same time we dealing with our own population.  With the cruse lines requiring everyone to be vaccinated these issues just disappear. 

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 4

On 5/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, CaptainWoody said:

Why would a stop in Mexico be required.  Doesn't the bill just suspend the foreign port requirement?

“The bill would temporarily alleviate restrictions for cruise ships transporting passengers between Washington and Alaska and allow cruise ships to sail to Alaska without requiring they stop in Canada. Murkowski has said her bill is in response to measures put in place by Canada that restrict cruise ships in Canadian waters until 2022.”

I just saw the notification that you had quoted me.