MSC Upgrade program

caffeine_demon

14 minutes ago, Até said:

Another inconsistency is that the Aurea corner Suite with Private Whirlpool doesn't have a bathroom with a bathtub, only the Fantastica suites have that.  Eventually the US version corrected this mess and separated the Whirlpool suites from the other suites, it's strange that the UK PlusGrade is still having this problem.  But those errors also let things like $115 YC interior upgrades from passengers with no drink package happen, at least for a short time.

The MSC UpGrade Terms & Conditions seem to say two different things regarding these inaccuracies.

22. MSC Cruises SA reserves the right to cancel the Offer at any time, correct any errors, inaccuracies and omissions, and change or update then fares, fees and surcharges and time without prior notice.

23. MSC Cruises SA reserves the right to cancel the Offer, before or after acceptance, in the event of any error on its side in processing bid acceptances or in the case an offered upgraded cabin is unavailable for any reason. In such case, the Bid amount will be refunded to the credit card of the Guest and MSC Cruises S.A. shall have no further liability relating to the Bid or Offer.

The UK terms are worded differently to those above I believe. The ones from MSC SA above suggested we wouldn’t get YC perks on our upgrade but the UK staff sent us the UK terms which said we would if upgrading to YC specifically but that it may not be the case with other experiences or words to that effect. 

The UK staff did say it was all very new to them here - first time they’ve used the system on UK sailings etc. 

17 minutes ago, lsmall said:

The UK terms are worded differently to those above I believe. The ones from MSC SA above suggested we wouldn’t get YC perks on our upgrade but the UK staff sent us the UK terms which said we would if upgrading to YC specifically but that it may not be the case with other experiences or words to that effect.

The part 19 from the MSC SA Terms in my post #36 states YC cabin bids do get the YC benefits.  I haven't yet seen any Terms specific to the UK market.  There should be FAQ and Terms links at the bottom of your bid pages.  There are Italian, German and probably other versions, but they all appear to be the same wording.

16 minutes ago, rattla said:

I reckon it’s pot luck what will happen on board, my guess is onboard staff will probably just treat a YC Duplex upgrade as if it’s in YC.

Do you, or anyone, have a screenshot of an actual bid offer to a Duplex Suite?  If MSC/PlusGrade is currently just throwing all these suite categories under one generic "Suite" bid then it's unlikely any will come with YC perks, and a total crap shoot as to what cabin type you will end up in.  This should be fixed soon so these categories are separated, especially since they already fixed it once for the US bidding.

I placed a bid and now have a YC cabin for the first time. 
What benefits should I expect with YC? I see butler, dedicated dining and pool etc. 

I assume room service is complimentary with no tray fee too?

Excited to experience it!

32 minutes ago, Até said:

Do you, or anyone, have a screenshot of an actual bid offer to a Duplex Suite?  If MSC/PlusGrade is currently just throwing all these suite categories under one generic "Suite" bid then it's unlikely any will come with YC perks, and a total crap shoot as to what cabin type you will end up in.  This should be fixed soon so these categories are separated, especially since they already fixed it once for the US bidding.

84642F04-6C91-4D17-85EC-6992F0D34AE6.jpeg

3 hours ago, rattla said:

the cabin grade given is YCD, but it’s not clear yet if they’ll be given YC perks.  Considering the cabins are not in the YC section it’s possible they may not get those benefits.

I’ll guess we’ll find out after Thursday.

If the cabin grade has YC in it, all YC access and perks are available.

Thanks @rattla.  Them intentionally leaving out "Yacht Club" really makes that Duplex suite bid a real question.   I'll agree with your pot luck chances estimation. Those cabins are normally serviced by YC butlers and assistants, would they really reassign it to a regular cabin steward for that sailing?

8 hours ago, Até said:

Them intentionally leaving out "Yacht Club" really makes that Duplex suite bid a real question.

Given the upgrade is being priced under a normal yacht club suite it would seem pretty odd if they're including the YC perks, but who knows really.

On our last cruise (March 13-20, 2020 - the last cruise to depart the US), I bid the minimum $500 and that was long before COVID was a thing. It resulted in us being upgraded from a deluxe Yacht Club suite to the Sophia Loren suite on the Divina. It had been our heart's desire for years to sail in that suite. We got quite a bargain, as the rack rate for the suite on that cruise was $7,500. The suite was nice, especially for what we paid. But it isn't worth the full fare. Not even close. Still, we were very happy! And it turned out to be the nicest cruise we've ever had. A lot went wrong on that cruise--COVID-related closures--but MSC took this lump of fecal matter, squeezed it hard and made a diamond out of it! They really recovered very well!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/14/2021 at 5:17 AM, caffeine_demon said:

Says you can bid on more than one category..

Whilst I'm on - another quick q - it says the price is "per person based on 2 sharing" - so I assume that as a single, if I bid £100, the total will be 200?

No, it is per person, not per cabin.

We were sent our room "upgrade offer" this week (UK and 44 days out of sailing on Seaview). We're in YC already...so you think what can they offer? Well it's the Royal Suite for an eye watering £1900 (minimum) per person 🤣

1 hour ago, Rossco01 said:

We were sent our room "upgrade offer" this week (UK and 44 days out of sailing on Seaview). We're in YC already...so you think what can they offer? Well it's the Royal Suite for an eye watering £1900 (minimum) per person 🤣

To be fair, it is a third party that handles the bids but as you say, not a special deal and that is the minimum.

15 hours ago, U4icmusic said:

No, it is per person, not per cabin.

Solo cruisers are charged double when bidding on an upgrade, at least per the UK website. I’m not sure that applies in all locations.

14. If the reservation includes only one person, the guest will be charged based on double occupancy. 

https://upg.plusgrade.com/terms/partner/9Ck2Ks4MSC?lang=en_UK