Jump to content

Cruise clothes.


Lily lady
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is it just me or is anyone else looking at cruise clothes especially the more formal wear and cocktail dresses etc ,and thinking will i ever wear them again. They are not suitable for most other holidays, we don't socialise much outside holidays.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, we are not going until next Jan and I bought a new formal shirt and 2 patterned shirts earlier this week. I only bought it because it was a cheap end of line model, but it was my size. The missis has been nagging me for ages to sort out my shirts, so I did. We took 3 white and 2 black formal and 14 other shirts to the charity shop Wednesday.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m more thinking will I fit in them again 😛

 

It’s sad I’d normally be looking round the shops looking for things for my holiday, annoying hubby by buying another handbag!

  • Like 7
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The opposite for us, 9 weeks time we should be on Britannia.  

 

So after a massive helping of lockdown weight gain and a health scare, on the path back to a slightly slimmer profile.  Got the tux etc out last week to try everything on in preparation.  Happily still fits and might even need to get a smaller size trousers.  But then again, once on board and start to enjoy myself they might be just about right.

 

Only problem was, with all the lockdown forgot to remove from the carry on bag.  Will give the on-board laundry some work in pressing it all.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been wondering what fits, but as we aren't due to go on a cruise until January next year I have time to loose some weight. Says she, hopefully🤞 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to say that some of my cruise clothes don’t fit.
I have recently got rid of about 50% of my dresses and just kept a few classics that could be worn again.......

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I have to say that some of my cruise clothes don’t fit.
I have recently got rid of about 50% of my dresses and just kept a few classics that could be worn again.......

I have clothes from when I was 16 years old that still fit now I am in my 60's, lovely scarf and gloves too.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m more thinking will I fit in them again 😛

 

It’s sad I’d normally be looking round the shops looking for things for my holiday, annoying hubby by buying another handbag!

I could have written this 🤣, I don’t usually use a handbag on the ship, more of a little wristlet, but I need to get a larger one to hold wipes and a mask! 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I have to say that some of my cruise clothes don’t fit.
I have recently got rid of about 50% of my dresses and just kept a few classics that could be worn again.......

You’re very good having a clear out. I have plenty that don’t fit too but I’m keeping them in the hope that I’ll fit into them again.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

You’re very good having a clear out. I have plenty that don’t fit too but I’m keeping them in the hope that I’ll fit into them again.

It was too depressing looking at what I once fitted into......l

Also, with trying to move I thought I’d clear out anything not worn for two years. All a bit pointless now that buyer has pulled out - but on the upside, I’ve now plenty of wardrobe space to go on a spending spree......!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m currently doing a major sort out of my wardrobe.

 

There’s things I hadn’t worn for a few years on cruises, so it would be very unlikely that I’ll suddenly start wearing them again in 2022 when my next cruise is scheduled.

 

There’s other stuff that no longer fits, or fits but doesn’t look ‘right’ anymore. Most of it is in good condition, so a lot will be going on eBay in the coming weeks.

 

Once I’ve got rid of the old stuff, I’ll be able to see the gaps in my wardrobe, and will buy new things to fill the gaps.

 

I doubt if I’ll be cruising at pre-Covid levels for some years to come, if ever, so my cruise wardrobe will be a lot leaner. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m currently doing a major sort out of my wardrobe.

 

There’s things I hadn’t worn for a few years on cruises, so it would be very unlikely that I’ll suddenly start wearing them again in 2022 when my next cruise is scheduled.

 

There’s other stuff that no longer fits, or fits but doesn’t look ‘right’ anymore. Most of it is in good condition, so a lot will be going on eBay in the coming weeks.

 

Once I’ve got rid of the old stuff, I’ll be able to see the gaps in my wardrobe, and will buy new things to fill the gaps.

 

I doubt if I’ll be cruising at pre-Covid levels for some years to come, if ever, so my cruise wardrobe will be a lot leaner. 

I love a good eBay bargain. I’ve bought a few new with tags or nearly new Phase Eight & Jaques Vert dresses and a Joules coat at really good prices. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I love a good eBay bargain. I’ve bought a few new with tags or nearly new Phase Eight & Jaques Vert dresses and a Joules coat at really good prices. 

Over the years I've bought various evening dresses from eBay, including a Phase 8 one that I love. I haven't tried it on yet in my current wardrobe cull, but I have a feeling it may be a bit tight now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lily lady said:

Is it just me or is anyone else looking at cruise clothes especially the more formal wear and cocktail dresses etc ,and thinking will i ever wear them again. They are not suitable for most other holidays, we don't socialise much outside holidays.

I’m feeling exactly the same. Although we do socialise at home quite a lot in normal times I almost always wear trousers and smart tops. Cruises are the only times I wear dresses these days so I have lots of those and especially the long glittery ones that are gathering dust in the wardrobe. I’m reluctant to have a clear out at the moment as I’m still hopeful of a return to normality sometime. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

I’m feeling exactly the same. Although we do socialise at home quite a lot in normal times I almost always wear trousers and smart tops. Cruises are the only times I wear dresses these days so I have lots of those and especially the long glittery ones that are gathering dust in the wardrobe. I’m reluctant to have a clear out at the moment as I’m still hopeful of a return to normality sometime. 

15 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

We only started cruising about 7 years ago. My cruise dresses have not had much wear unfortunately. Then I keep finding things that i would love to wear on cruises if everything was back to normal. I enjoy  getting "dressed up"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I love a good eBay bargain. I’ve bought a few new with tags or nearly new Phase Eight & Jaques Vert dresses and a Joules coat at really good prices. 

 

My first evening dress was a bagain from Debenhams at £43 reduced from £120! I also go another from Tesco's in the sale and by the time an online discount was taken off and staff discount I paid the grand total of £18.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have clothes from when I was 16 years old that still fit now I am in my 60's, lovely scarf and gloves too.

Yes in my case it is shoes, I’m very trim from the ankle down.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember walking around a large department store years ago.  Two ladies came past me with one saying to the other "It's a nice dress but it's not really cruise wear".  I am wondering if people tend to have two complete wardrobes?

 

Regards John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, purplesea said:

 

 

My first evening dress was a bagain from Debenhams at £43 reduced from £120! I also go another from Tesco's in the sale and by the time an online discount was taken off and staff discount I paid the grand total of £18.

When my mum went on her first cruise years ago I went clothes shopping with her and she bought a beautiful long dress from Debenhams. I’m going to miss our local store.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep all your gowns , splashout and buy more

 

I'm  an optimist. A paper in Nature looking at what companies are saying has predicted that vaccine production  is ramping up so rapidly it could hit a rate equivalent to 9 billion a year by end 2021 and 12 billion a year in 2022. At this rate the target of we not safe until everyone is safe,  could be hit middle of next year.

 

So hopefully normal cruises to anywhere in 2023

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, john watson said:

I remember walking around a large department store years ago.  Two ladies came past me with one saying to the other "It's a nice dress but it's not really cruise wear".  I am wondering if people tend to have two complete wardrobes?

 

Regards John

We do, the spare bedroom wardrobes are for our cruise clobber. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...