Jump to content

Odyssey re-deploying due to Middle East conflict?


Recommended Posts

This was posted right now on the Israeli CC, according to the port authorities in Haifa:

 

Royal Caribbean has no plans to change cruise itineraries scheduled for Odyssey of the Seas out of Haifa, Israel due to escalating political tensions in the country.

 

Odyssey of the Seas is due to homeport in Haifa from June and sail week-long Mediterranean cruises visiting Cyprus and the Greek Isles, but those deployment plans were announced before a renewed spate of hostilities between Israel and Hamas.

At the time of writing, Odyssey of the Seas was en-route from Haifa to Limassol, Cyprus, but without any passengers onboard. The ship called in Haifa last month to take on new crew members, as well as to get crew members vaccinated.

 

She is due to return to the city before the end of May for additional training and vaccinations, before commencing her Israel cruise season on June 4th.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

 

A tale of Homeric woe. 

 

Maybe it was an inappropriate name🤔

Seems like a highly appropriate name, didn’t Odysseus take 20 years to get home to his lovely wife, only to find his house over run by suitors?  Hopefully it won’t take 20 years for it to take its first official cruise.  

 

JC

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, xpcdoojk said:

Seems like a highly appropriate name, didn’t Odysseus take 20 years to get home to his lovely wife, only to find his house over run by suitors?  Hopefully it won’t take 20 years for it to take its first official cruise.  

 

JC

 

Appropriate for the wrong reason, though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kind of feel like the crew onboard would know more of what is going on then the  port authorities in Haifa.   Guess time will tell.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

But what if she messes with Texas?  😉

Nope, not goin there this time..........😇

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Seems like a highly appropriate name, didn’t Odysseus take 20 years to get home to his lovely wife, only to find his house over run by suitors?  Hopefully it won’t take 20 years for it to take its first official cruise.  

 

JC

Ha! Thanks. Like told my Children, now my Grands, "Learn something new everyday"  ...some more entertaining then most. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Ha! Thanks. Like told my Children, now my Grands, "Learn something new everyday"  ...some more entertaining then most. 

I can discuss the tribulations that poor Odysseus suffered during the 20 years to make it even more appropriate.  Bottom line to Homer, don’t make the gods mad they will torment you for a long time.  I can’t believe I actually read it and the Iliad as a youth.  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I can discuss the tribulations that poor Odysseus suffered during the 20 years to make it even more appropriate.  Bottom line to Homer, don’t make the gods mad they will torment you for a long time.  I can’t believe I actually read it and the Iliad as a youth.  

Well said. Had a great 7th Grade English Lit Teacher 44yrs ago, when read Post story came back to me. That's a good Teacher

Edited by ONECRUISER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Well said. Had a great 7th Grade English Lit Teacher 44yrs ago, when read Post story came back to me. That's a good Teacher

Mr. Ritchie, 6th grade, history of the Greek and Roman gods....never forget it, my fave.  They don't teach that any more along with no cursive writing, what happens when the grid goes down???????????  I refuse to mention how long ago😪

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

 

We live in a volatile country, and plans can change within 24 hours or less.

 

Precisely. To me, it seems like a highly logical plan to move the ship for now, and wait and see. I don't have a crystal ball or a direct connection to the brain of any RCI decision makers, but if I had to guess ... they, like many of us, will be holding their breath and crossing their fingers and seeing how things unfold.

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

This is from Tuesday before things escalated, he makes no mention of destination or repositioning, but thought you might like the tour

Love to Tour, rather do it in person  😎

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cruise Law News claims

 

Cruising from Israel (scheduled for June from Haifa, Israel to Limassol, Cyprus) cancelled due to ongoing deadly violence, according to a crew member who wishes to remain anonymous.
Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas now heading to Cyprus to meet Anthem of the Seas where it will transfer 50 crew members. Anthem will then sail to the U.K. and Odyssey will sail to the U.S.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, springaussie said:

Cruise Law News claims

 

Cruising from Israel (scheduled for June from Haifa, Israel to Limassol, Cyprus) cancelled due to ongoing deadly violence, according to a crew member who wishes to remain anonymous.
Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas now heading to Cyprus to meet Anthem of the Seas where it will transfer 50 crew members. Anthem will then sail to the U.K. and Odyssey will sail to the U.S.

 

38 minutes ago, logan25 said:

 

Still, the cruises are just now open to bookings on the official Royal site....

Edited by dani negreanu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

 

 

Still, the cruises are just now open to bookings on the official Royal site....

Maybe Royal just wants to hold more people's $$$ for a little while before each sailing is officially canceled.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe Royal just wants to hold more people's $$$ for a little while before each sailing is officially canceled.

Or, more likely since this is such a recent development they are getting all their ducks in a row before making an announcement. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vibe said:

Makes you wonder though why we can't hear it first from Royal Caribbean rather then outside sources.

Just put a bad taste in your mouth. Why can't they be upfront on what is going on................yeah before everyone tells me it's an everychanging enviroment.

 

Tired of hearing that BS, get off the pot and tell everyone what your thoughts are and where this cruiseline is heading?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...