The two faces of the CDC: Wednesday vs. Thursday

Hmm, was not CDC grilled last Tuesday by the Senate?

"Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky was forced to defend her agency's guidance and even its integrity on Tuesday as Senate Republicans grilled her over CDC messaging on masks and other restrictions, arguing it's frustrating and unreasonable as more Americans get vaccinated.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fauci-walensky-push-covid-19-vaccinations-defend-cdc/story?id=77620790

15 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Man, I hope we get back to cruising soon. All these CDC threads with all the amateur internet arm chair virologists yapping away ad infinitum really makes me miss those amateur internet arm chair lawyer threads of the past. 😉

👍.   

Edited by CRUIS4ME

9 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Didn’t say worst. Consistently in the top 5. 

Again, if you have more population than the other states you are going to have more cases.  

When people ignore this simple fact they destroy their own credibility.  

Good job.  Mission accomplished!😂😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our county and surrounding counties 

12 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It wasn’t just Miami. It was several Florida counties, including Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County. Sure cases have declined since that time, as they have elsewhere. But Florida continues to be amongst the worst with continuing cases, as well as claiming the number one spot for the UK variant.  It’s important to note that despite the Governor’s edicts about opening 100%, no mask mandates, and no rules, thankfully the vast majority of us continued to take reasonable precautions.  Imagine how much worse it could have been. 

It could have been so much worse here in Florida.  We could have been locked down all year.  Our kids could have been in virtual classes instead of in person.  We could have only been able to shop in certain aisles of stores.  There would have been no normal Christmas or Thanksgiving.  The salons, restaurants and other small businesses could have taken much bigger hits and many would not have recovered.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Even the NY Time called out PCR testing as being very flawed.

The inventor of the PCR test himself (Kerry Mullis) even stated in great detail how the test can be used (misused) to yield any result you're looking for. A simple Google search would take you to the video of that interview.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

The inventor of the PCR test himself (Kerry Mullis) even stated in great detail how the test can be used (misused) to yield any result you're looking for. A simple Google search would take you to the video of that interview.

I'll save you the effort - here's the interview:  https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/questioning-unreliable-pcr-testing-is-hardly-trivial

• Like 1

I'm wondering how the CDC will justify requiring masks for vaccinated passengers in indoor cruise ship venues when stores like Walmart, Sams Club, Publix, Starbucks and Trader Joes do not require them and more stores are sure to follow.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CaroleSS said:

Today I went to work ,at the largest grocery store in Florida,...no mask required! It was wonderful!!!

I was in your area last week and was surprised that not a lot of people were wearing masks compared to here.  Lovely area you live in -- love your beach sunsets! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I was in your area last week and was surprised that not a lot of people were wearing masks compared to here.  Lovely area you live in -- love your beach sunsets! 

Just another beautiful day in Paradise!

Our island has 7,000 full time residents. Of those, 5,000 are fully vaccinated! I'd say we are doing pretty darned good!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

I'm wondering how the CDC will justify requiring masks for vaccinated passengers in indoor cruise ship venues when stores like Walmart, Sams Club, Publix, Starbucks and Trader Joes do not require them and more stores are sure to follow.  

Do those places have close to 10,000 customers and staff in the store at the same time?

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

Do those places have close to 10,000 customers and staff in the store at the same time?

No cruise ship has 10,000 passengers and crew capacity and there will be limited capacity at the restart.  A cruise ship is much larger than a Walmart.  Not sure how many Walmart’s could fit in that space but I imagine a lot.  What’s your point? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

No cruise ship has 10,000 passengers and crew capacity and there will be limited capacity at the restart.  A cruise ship is much larger than a Walmart.  Not sure how many Walmart’s could fit in that space but I imagine a lot.  What’s your point? 

o.k., granted.  Four RCCl ships have over 8,900 total.  My point should be perfectly obvious.  How many people in a Walmart or a Starbucks at one time?  What's the most you have ever seen in  Starbucks at one time?  8,000 perhaps?

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

o.k., granted.  Four RCCl ships have over 8,900 total.  My point should be perfectly obvious.  How many people in a Walmart or a Starbucks at one time?  What's the most you have ever seen in  Starbucks at one time?  8,000 perhaps?

You need to take square footage into consideration to make an accurate comparison.  What is the size of a Starbucks compared to the size of a cruise ship?  It’s all relative. 

• Like 3

On 5/15/2021 at 7:14 PM, livingonthebeach said:

As soon as you spend 7 days in that same area with all those same people with no access to advanced medical care, it can be compared to a cruise ship. 

24 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

As soon as you spend 7 days in that same area with all those same people with no access to advanced medical care, it can be compared to a cruise ship. 

They will change it soon. Probably making guidance changes at different times than requirements.   I think the study they used to make their decisions came out of Israel from what I remember reading and a couple other studies.  Since we haven't had a long time to study vaccinated people, I mean what has it been 5 months this seems pretty normal to me as far as timing.  By the time we get to July you will see vaccinated cruise coming out of some ports in the US.

57 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

That’s right and there are no cabins or open outdoor spaces in stores either - so a cruise ship is a much safer place to be for seven days, especially for the fully vaccinated. 

On 5/15/2021 at 8:43 AM, Keksie said:

Our county and surrounding counties 

It could have been so much worse here in Florida.  We could have been locked down all year.  Our kids could have been in virtual classes instead of in person.  We could have only been able to shop in certain aisles of stores.  There would have been no normal Christmas or Thanksgiving.  The salons, restaurants and other small businesses could have taken much bigger hits and many would not have recovered.  

Welcome to Canada, but more specifically Toronto, Ontario -- we have been in lockdown since Nov 2020 (and still on going) with exactly what oyu described...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Yes, 7 days on a vessel the size of a small town. With plenty of outdoor time. And better ventilation than just about everywhere other than an airplane.

Edited by smokeybandit

On 5/14/2021 at 2:57 PM, boatseller said:

Number of cases has always been an irrelevant statistic because it does not indicate prevalance or outcome.

There are numerous reports on how Texas' case count dropped after ending the mask mandate.  Florida's theme parks have been open for almost a year with no correlated increase in cases.  Texas and Florida are also #2 & 3 in population so a higher case count is expected.

WDW has been open but with a strict mask policy. At this point, I'm not going to be going since my kids are to young to be vaccinated and I don't trust adults to be truthful with their vaccination status.

8 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

WDW has been open but with a strict mask policy. At this point, I'm not going to be going since my kids are to young to be vaccinated and I don't trust adults to be truthful with their vaccination status.

SeaWorld & Busch Gardens have ended the face covering requirement completely.

Walt Disney World & Universal Orlando require only indoors and in an attraction.

Legoland Floirda still requires indoors and on attractions.

Ask your doc about the kids' risk, the yougins in my family are out all the time no worries.

30 minutes ago, boatseller said:

SeaWorld & Busch Gardens have ended the face covering requirement completely.

Walt Disney World & Universal Orlando require only indoors and in an attraction.

Legoland Floirda still requires indoors and on attractions.

Ask your doc about the kids' risk, the yougins in my family are out all the time no worries.

Outside, there isn't any issues, but with a bunch of adults with questionable vaccine status inside, I'm not going to risk it. Besides, my kids like wearing their masks, the oldest gets to pretend to be Captain America, and the youngest thinks he has the coolest mask, a Blue Crab with sunglasses.

• Like 1

Another study came out recently that found 50-75% of people who test positive with a PCR test actually don't have active covid in their systems.

This is like the 3rd or 4th study to come to this conclusion  with none arriving at the opposite result.

• Like 4