Carnival Sensation Docked in Mobile, Alabama

GonzoWCS

On 5/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, GonzoWCS said:

Sensation still docked in Mobile today....

Per news, ship is there so crew can be vaccinated.  Will leave and return in 3 weeks for second shot.  City officials have no idea when cruises will resume.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, shoptom said:

I'm on the 30th, which is also not showing on their web site.

Per al.com, "Cruise analyst Stewart Chiron told AL.com this week that he believes “there is no chance” that cruises will resume in Mobile before October, and predicts that ships might not resume regular sailings until late 2021."

On 5/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, CI66774 said:

Looks as if ALabama is about to prohibit vaccine passports, too....

Actually unlikely per AL.com on Friday with session ending tomorrow: "Alabama state lawmakers introduced legislation this spring preventing businesses from requiring COVID-19 vaccines. But the bill has not advanced through the Legislature and appears unlikely to win approval with one day remaining in the session."

• Like 1

Just read posts and surprized re: August 30 sailing. Rechecked my paperwork and I cruise ( hopefully) August 21. Thanks y'all, I really would have missed the boat! Still hopeful  but not so much.

• Like 1

Why would anyone want to cruise without the proper vaccine passport and records? We should not be willing to risk passenger safety for the sake of getting back to the seas. If the crews are going to be vaccinated wouldn't it make logical sense that the passengers also need to be vaccinated? Along with the vaccine passport and vaccine card we need verified proof that everyone is fully vaccinated prior to onboarding (this will ensure that the phony vaccine cards are spotted and reported). I don't want anyone playing Roulette with a bunch of cruisers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texbam said:

Per al.com, "Cruise analyst Stewart Chiron told AL.com this week that he believes “there is no chance” that cruises will resume in Mobile before October, and predicts that ships might not resume regular sailings until late 2021."

An analyst eh...  Not many of these cats around these days

1 hour ago, GonzoWCS said:

An analyst eh...  Not many of these cats around these days

Apparently he claims to be "America's Most Quoted Cruise Expert", but I'm not sure he would know any more about the situation than any other travel agent. I had never heard of him prior to today.

If Carnival has brought the ship to Mobile for vaccinations this soon, one would think it would be ready to go in 6-7 weeks, pending CDC approval. I'm not sure how the test cruises will work IF Carnival goes that route. I would suspect that Carnival wants Mobile online fairly early simply because passengers from canceled bookings aren't as "portable" as the ones from Florida ports.

Sensation may also have only about 18 months left in her career as well-if you're looking to sell to another operator, you want a ship that's running well. If she goes to drydock and continues Carnival service (especially if you're adding a new paint job to it), you want as much revenue as possible prior to January 2023.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, saltshell said:

Just read posts and surprized re: August 30 sailing. Rechecked my paperwork and I cruise ( hopefully) August 21. Thanks y'all, I really would have missed the boat! Still hopeful  but not so much.

I went to check my cruise dates when you posted the 28th!  I drink vodka and that's my birthday...

On 5/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, tidecat said:

Sensation may also have only about 18 months left in her career as well-if you're looking to sell to another operator, you want a ship that's running well. If she goes to drydock and continues Carnival service (especially if you're adding a new paint job to it), you want as much revenue as possible prior to January 2023.

Really depends on post pandemic demand. She's hardly a new ship, but she's new to Mobile which hosted Carnival Fantasy for several years.  The fact that it's a little bit different ship (essentially same layout, but different decor), and pent up demand, coupled with what I believe are favorable business conditions at the port in Mobile, could all converge to keep her going longer.  

Another factor toward Carnival holding on to this ship is the fact that, unlike many of the line's competitors and sister companies, there don't seem to be a lot of stunning, expensive megaships on order for Carnival. Yes, Mardi Gras is coming and the similar Celebration next year, but that seems to be it for a while.  When you figure in the divestment of 4 Fantasy class ships being replaced by 2 Excellence class ships, you have only a small net increase of passenger capacity. 

In addition, with four Fantasy class ships leaving last year, there will be some folks who want to experience the rest of the class while they can, which could temporarily bump demand a bit.

There is a reason a lot of "fancier" cruise customers disparage Carnival's method of operation. It really provides a bargain product for a very wide and general vacation customer audience - which I love, but to each their own.  Newer ships in the line command significantly higher fares, typically on longer voyages. To some extent Carnival's passengers want this option but I think the upgraded ships and fares are out of the budget for many thousands of customers.  Carnival has other ways to make up the revenue on cheapo sailings - beverages, souvenirs, photos, shore excursions, spa services, art auctions, etc. 

I am going to predict Sensation in Mobile remains profitable and  holds on through at least one more dry dock or roughly another five years of service at the low end. 

Just as a FYI, the Sensation is docked in Galveston. Not sure why. It was reported that they were receiving vaccinations in Mobile, so I really haven't heard the reason for moving the Sensation to Galveston, but that's where she is docked. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival has opened bookings through April 2024 on the Sensation out of Mobile, including a 10-day Eastern Caribbean-focused itinerary in September 2023. Barring anything unexpected, Sensation should be in service to Carnival until late 2025 or early 2026.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 9:26 PM, tidecat said:

Carnival has opened bookings through April 2024 on the Sensation out of Mobile, including a 10-day Eastern Caribbean-focused itinerary in September 2023. Barring anything unexpected, Sensation should be in service to Carnival until late 2025 or early 2026.

Love this news!