How do I cancel my NCL cruise?

We booked Greece in August & have decided we are going to do the Caribbean this summer instead--feel like RELAXING.

Plus looking at Prima in 2022.

It says I must cancel in writing--is an email sufficient?

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

We booked Greece in August & have decided we are going to do the Caribbean this summer instead--feel like RELAXING.

I have just called the call centre in the past but yes an email would do

5 hours ago, KKB said:

Call NCL to cancel. If you email, it will be in the back of tens of thousands of emails sent daily. And you could be liable for additional charges it it takes them “awhile” to get to your email. 

i would simply call them also, but which ever way you choose to cancel, make sure you get written confirmation via email, and then check with whichever way you paid,to make sure the money has been returned.

if it makes you feel any more secure, i have never had any problems cancelling a cruise

We are supposed to be doing the Greek islands in September, NCL says this is their first cruise leaving on the 13th. Who knows if we will be allowed in to Italy from the U.K. or if we will be allowed back in without quarantine! I will soon be double jabbed however the Indian variant is taking hold here.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, KKB said:

Short answer: Just call NCL. While you're on the phone with the representative, he or she will process the cancellation and email you the cancellation confirmation immediately. If your circumstance does involve the need to request a refund in writing, the rep will tell you so. 

Click here to read the NCL Cancellation Fee Schedule. Below is the relevant text from that page:

Cancellation fees for cruise, air, land and other charges will follow the schedule above and apply to all guests on the reservation. Cancellation fees for air, land and other add-on charges will apply even if the reservation is not canceled in full. Gateway changes for air and name changes for cruise, air, land and other add-ons are considered cancellations. Cancellations must be telephoned to our Reservations Department by your travel agent. Depending on when the cruise is canceled, cancellation charges will be assessed as stated on the Cancellation Fee Schedule.

No refunds will be made in the event of interruption or cancellation by any passenger after commencement of the cruise. Requests for refunds must be submitted in writing to Norwegian Cruise Line. Cruise tickets, air tickets, transfer coupons and/or vacation package vouchers must be returned before a refund can be made. Refund processing time is about 3-4 weeks. Air tickets issued by our Air/Sea Department for passengers on our Air/Sea programs are refundable only to Norwegian Cruise Line. Group passenger policies may differ. Norwegian Cruise Line's Payment and Cancellation Policy is subject to change without notice.

Posted (edited)

I hate phone transactions like the plague - is there no button for cancelling on the NCL site where I originally made the reservation? They should be able to give a cancel confirmation # so you can be confident in clicking into an alternate reservation. I reserved under the program of free and easy cancellations or whatever they called it thru October.

Otherwise it looks like they are fighting revenue loss simply thru inconvenience, like the way you have to talk to a backroom thug face to face to cancel a gym membership. Or wrestle with endless phone menus and argue at length with a flunky to cancel newspaper subscriptions. Nobody is gonna not cancel a cruise due to these tactics, so what's the point? Just makes me want to avoid signing up with these operations.

Edited by dumbth

You do need to call to cancel your cruise unless you have a PCC. If you have a PCC you can send them an email and they will either call you to confirm that you want to cancel or respond to your email to gain your confirmation to cancel your cruise.  

You can not cancel your cruise online. 

I really don't know where this talk of "thug" is coming from or end phone menus or any of the other nasty descriptions you're posting here.  I had to cancel a cruise and called the contact number and it was done very quickly by a very pleasant person who gave me absolutely no problems at all.  Is the problem on your side? Do you start by being aggressive or rude.... not saying you but my experiences have been very pleasant, especially of late. 

Hope your experiences improve for you. 

7 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Why does people suggest a phonecall when they have been told that it must be done in writing?

Because it can be done.

Lets put this succinctly - - - "Leave a Paper Trail"  !

Legal beagles accountants detailed oriented clerks like that sort of stuff !

Call on the phone - have the agent email to you the cancellation.

Follow up for the credit refund in the full amount including taxes fees administrative garbly de gook.

You booked through a TA have them take care of if it - less the TA's fees (negotiable ?)

54 minutes ago, Sugar0802 said:

You can also use the chat option on NCL and they'll take care of it for you in a few minutes.  Quick and easy.

I've cancelled a cruise this way as well. Far faster than calling.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:02 PM, KKB said:

I just did this.  Cancelled a sailing on the Encore for a sailing on Pr!ma.  I booked the Pr!ma online so just needed to cancel the Encore.  I called up, they cancelled the booking and I received the cancellation confirmation via email before I hung up the representative (who waited online til I received it).  I did this on 12 May 2021. I have not received my deposit refund yet, but I plan on giving them at least 2 weeks before I get antsy.  It was quick and painless. 

Yep, quick call.

We booked the Edge June 24 instead.

I haven't pulled the trigger on Prima--I was getting an interior for the price we are paying for a SV balcony on the Edge this summer. Ugh