Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Ardennais said:

You and I watched the same show then Avril! It was a let down wasn’t it!

I would still like the answer to two questions. Why was it done at that time, of the day, and why was there no religious blessing of the ship? 

Avril 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

^Yet they can let Gary Barlow on to film a little video praising the ship... hmm...

 

And also Sky News was live on board in the Retreat talking to Wesley Dunlop.  You pass through a lot of ship to get there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I had a reply tweet from P&O today saying that they are working hard to get some photos of Iona but due to Covid it has been impossible to allow photographers onboard at the moment.

That sounds a rather pathetic excuse, with a skeleton crew and the size of the ship, you could hide an army of photographers on board without compromising any covid restrictions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

 


“Poor “ and “old’ was just a phrase 😊

Yes, understood. Sorry. 

The "Peter Principle" comes to mind. Hands up all those that remember it - no googling! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I had a reply tweet from P&O today saying that they are working hard to get some photos of Iona but due to Covid it has been impossible to allow photographers onboard at the moment.

Isn't it strange how Covid is being blamed for virtually everything these days!

You have a multi- million pound new liner, and you can't get a photographer on board!

I know there needs to be quarantine protocols, but I'm sure the problem is not insurmountable.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

why was there no religious blessing of the ship? 

These days, I think that it is just easier and less controversial to avoid all religious connotations. 

Not saying it  is right or wrong, but just being realistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I had a reply tweet from P&O today saying that they are working hard to get some photos of Iona but due to Covid it has been impossible to allow photographers onboard at the moment.

It's not just the photo issue that is strange though. With most of the previous ships they released lots of artist impressions and 'mood boards' showing colour schemes and fabrics. With Iona almost nothing has been shown at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think the ship is jinxed. Right from P&Os first announcement that the naming would be months after the maiden cruise, but then they said, it would be OK because the ship would be blessed. Now they have a naming but no blessing. Both Iona captain's were on the bridge as she was brought in I was told, but only Wesley Dunlop was at the naming, not Rob Camby - strange? And now no interior images at all? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

That sounds a rather pathetic excuse, with a skeleton crew and the size of the ship, you could hide an army of photographers on board without compromising any covid restrictions.

Yes I wonder if they’ll get photographers on board now Iona is in Southampton, there’s doesn’t seem any reason not to be able to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Britboys said:

It's not just the photo issue that is strange though. With most of the previous ships they released lots of artist impressions and 'mood boards' showing colour schemes and fabrics. With Iona almost nothing has been shown at all.

I thought I’d seen quite a lot of artist impressions of the interior, maybe I’ve just seen lots of the same thing. Mind you I have nothing else to compare it to as Iona is the first ship that I have followed through the building & marketing process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To an extent, the ship will be 'mothballed', needing a 'builders clean' and sanitation from top to bottom before passengers board. 

I'm sure they could get some areas ready for photography, but with another 3 months of crew only on board, they may want to leave it to closer to sailing. 

I'm sure we would have seen more if sailing was imminent. 

Perhaps they don't want the predicted chants of 'too bland' or 'looks like a shopping mall' too soon😊

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

To an extent, the ship will be 'mothballed', needing a 'builders clean' and sanitation from top to bottom before passengers board. 

I'm sure they could get some areas ready for photography, but with another 3 months of crew only on board, they may want to leave it to closer to sailing. 

I'm sure we would have seen more if sailing was imminent. 

Perhaps they don't want the predicted chants of 'too bland' or 'looks like a shopping mall' too soon😊

Andy 

I agree with what you say Andy and that could well be the reason for very few promotional shots etc. But then you have to wonder why the naming ceremony was now and not in a few months time when she is closer to sailing with passengers on board. I appreciate it can take ages to organise, but given how low key it was I wouldn’t have thought it that difficult. But maybe I’m being naive.....

Gill

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very approximately P&O have 20,000 passenger spaces to fill each day.  A good majority of those will not be as engaged with the finer details of cruise ships as those on here.

The launch has got them large amounts of national media coverage which puts the idea of cruising back into peoples minds.  When they release the interior information they will get more of the same.

 

it might be frustrating for some but I would think we are seeing a thought out marketing campaign.  Those of us on here may not be the target audience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wowzz said:

These days, I think that it is just easier and less controversial to avoid all religious connotations. 

Not saying it  is right or wrong, but just being realistic.

What is so controversial about tradition, religious or otherwise?  Britannia was blessed, so apart from her being named by The Queen, where's the difference? 🤔

We'll soon have no traditions left.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Still think the ship is jinxed. Right from P&Os first announcement that the naming would be months after the maiden cruise, but then they said, it would be OK because the ship would be blessed. Now they have a naming but no blessing. Both Iona captain's were on the bridge as she was brought in I was told, but only Wesley Dunlop was at the naming, not Rob Camby - strange? And now no interior images at all? 

That's why I was surprised about the blessing. It's the first  cruise ship naming, afaik, with no blessing. Not good, as most seamen are superstitious!

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

What is so controversial about tradition, religious or otherwise?  Britannia was blessed, so apart from her being named by The Queen, where's the difference? 🤔

We'll soon have no traditions left.

Avril

Totally agree. The blessing could have been one that satisfies (almost) all.....

Gill

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

Totally agree. The blessing could have been one that satisfies (almost) all.....

Gill

.......and those that weren't, had Gary Barlow😁

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

That's why I was surprised about the blessing. It's the first  cruise ship naming, afaik, with no blessing. Not good, as most seamen are superstitious!

Avril

So the bit where Mrs Hayes said ' God bless her and all who sail in her '. That's enough of a blessing for me.🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

That's why I was surprised about the blessing. It's the first  cruise ship naming, afaik, with no blessing. Not good, as most seamen are superstitious!

Avril

I would guess that most seamen on ships nowadays have divergent religious beliefs as will the passengers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, zap99 said:

So the bit where Mrs Hayes said ' God bless her and all who sail in her '. That's enough of a blessing for me.🤔

That's just the normal naming pre-bottle release zap as you well know.😉 The actual blessing was missed.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's just the normal naming pre-bottle release zap as you well know.😉 The actual blessing was missed.

Avril

On the website P&O say. I know nothing else, but this will satisfy me.

 

The tradition of blessing a ship before its maiden voyage dates back to ancient times, when gods were called upon to bring the ships luck and keep them safe on the water.

Today, the ship’s godmother has taken on the duties of the deities.

The godmother – always a woman of distinction and gravitas – attends the launch ceremony to bless and officially name the ship. She’ll break a bottle against its hull and deliver the official line: ‘I name this ship [name]. May God bless her and all who sail in her.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

On the website P&O say. I know nothing else, but this will satisfy me.

 

The tradition of blessing a ship before its maiden voyage dates back to ancient times, when gods were called upon to bring the ships luck and keep them safe on the water.

Today, the ship’s godmother has taken on the duties of the deities.

The godmother – always a woman of distinction and gravitas – attends the launch ceremony to bless and officially name the ship. She’ll break a bottle against its hull and deliver the official line: ‘I name this ship [name]. May God bless her and all who sail in her.’

We will have agree to disagree on this zap. However, can I point out the word tradition which if you look at my other posts, was what I originally mentioned. So I'm also assuming that  the statement 'Today, the ship's godmother has taken on the duties' is a very recent change. The last P&O ship named was Britannia, the Queen was godmother who spoke the same words as Dame Irene, but the ship was also traditionally blessed, as were other ships before her. I can't explain myself any clearer zap. 

Avril 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I would guess that most seamen on ships nowadays have divergent religious beliefs as will the passengers.

What has that got to do with anything? A blessing is a blessing in any faith, and those of no religious faith can just ignore it.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We will have agree to disagree on this zap. However, can I point out the word tradition which if you look at my other posts, was what I originally mentioned. So I'm also assuming that  the statement 'Today, the ship's godmother has taken on the duties' is a very recent change. The last P&O ship named was Britannia, the Queen was godmother who spoke the same words as Dame Irene, but the ship was also traditionally blessed, as were other ships before her. I can't explain myself any clearer zap. 

Avril 

Avril. I do understand that this is of some importance to you and no doubt a great many other folk. Not important to me. So agree to disagree suits fine. I walk under ladders and have never..,.....aarggghh........🤣

Edited by zap99
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Avril. I do understand that this is of some importance to you and no doubt a great many other folk. Not important to me. So agree to disagree suits fine. I walk under ladders and have never..,.....aarggghh........🤣

Sorry zap, I didn't mean to wind you up, but you know ladies like the last word. Mine last word is 'Tradition' 😇

 

Touch wood🤞😄

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...