Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Can anybody give me a quick reminder?  We are looking at the all included rates and doing the math.  We would get some WIFI minutes automatically.  So, if you can use your phone onboard on the Medallion App to look a the daily schedule Patter, etc...  That is not using your minutes, right?  

All we would need is to text our son back home occasionally, so I am not sure if the all inclusive fare with WIFI would have any value?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You don't use wifi just for the Medallion App.  If all you are doing  is occasionally texting your son back home you should be fine with your free minutes.

 

Also, when you first logon (I think only the first day or two) they also offer you a special rate for some more minutes beyond your free ones.  It is a good price.

Edited by dickinson
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Can anybody give me a quick reminder?  We are looking at the all included rates and doing the math.  We would get some WIFI minutes automatically.  So, if you can use your phone onboard on the Medallion App to look a the daily schedule Patter, etc...  That is not using your minutes, right?  

All we would need is to text our son back home occasionally, so I am not sure if the all inclusive fare with WIFI would have any value?

 

Using the App on board does not use minutes. Turn your phone to airplane mode and then turn on wi-fi. If you "text" home you will be charged a cell fee by the ship and maybe by your carrier. Cell service is not free and is not included in the platinum minutes, nor is it included in wi-fi packages. You have to use e-mail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my "free" minutes to check my email daily, and to respond as needed.  I have never exceeded my "free" allotment.  

 

However, my wife lives on her phone (music and movies, YouTube), and we upgraded her Elite free minutes to unlimited.  

 

For me, the upgrade was not necessary, but for her, it was well worth it.

 

Ashore, we always have some kind of unlimited wireless service through our cell phone carrier.   We get charged a daily flat rate every day we access the system we get charged only for port days that we actually use the phones.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite true.  There is a difference between “wifi” and “internet”.  To access the medallion app you only need a wifi connection to the ships “inTRAnet” by setting your phone up as skynight suggested.  To access the “inTERnet” for emails, browsing etc you use minutes (free or purchased).  However there is a rub for texting.  Apple iphones can send texts to other iphones using a simple wifi connection (via the ships inTRAnet) withOUT cell service.  If both sender and receiver have iphones you can text without using minutes or cell charges.  Make sure your phone is in airplane mode as skynight said or even Turn off your cellular to make sure because if there is a bad wifi connection it will revert to cell service.  I was able to text on my ipad which is wifi only on several medallion enabled ships.  You can tell when you are using Apples messaging as the text will be blue as opposed to green. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never used up my free minutes even when it was beyond slow. In those cases, I would long on. Download. Immediately log off. Respond. Log back on & everything goes out. Also you have access to Princess.com without using minutes. In that I don't play games my 250 minutes is enough for a 3 week cruise.

 

Also I'm a big coffee & cocoa drinker. 1 glass of wine is my limit. So I bring 2 bottles on (used to not bring any on but I got tired of them running out of my choice) and trade my minibar for 2 coffee programs. I run out but wind up being charge for an average of less than 3 lattes. 

 

So the BSE is worth it for crew 'incentive.' But I get 250 in SOBC & a little more from my PVP and they've been liberal in passing out extra OBC every time they cancel me (315-600 on my next 4 cruises). So even that doesn't warrant it.

 

Nope. Going with basic fare and ill still leave OBC on the table

Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been accurately answered above, but I wonder if the Platinum bennie might change once cruising returns (well maybe not right then but soon enough.)  I say that since honestly, that's one of the reasons.. the wifi benefit with Platinum status... that we haven't got that multi upgrade..wifi, drinks, tips.  We're good on wifi and spouse doesn't drink alcohol.  I have to think that Princess still makes more money on that package than if they didn't offer it.  So, there might be others like me, that pass on it since the bennie to buy it just isn't there.  So Princess is losing out some????  I'm not complaining, it's just a perspective.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a "Google Voice" account.  Your texting will be free via wifi.

 

The biggest problem with "free" loyalty minutes is the failure to sign. yourself out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

All we would need is to text our son back home occasionally

Some above have mentioned needing cell service to text, or if both parties on Apple phones (I am not an Apple person).  You may be using something like WHATSAPP which runs over internet (using ship's wifi) and doesn't require cell connection.  If you have internet minutes, you can use WhatsApp to text or even make a call. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dickinson said:

Also, when you first logon (I think only the first day or two) they also offer you a special rate for some more minutes beyond your free ones.  It is a good price.

Well, they did used to offer additional minutes, but I am not sure that exists any more on Medallion Net ships.  And I would never have called it a good price - but it was better than waiting until you ran out and then go to buy more.  But those days should be long gone. 

 

The packages now are unlimited and they do offer the best pricing for Platinum/Elite passengers on Day 1 of the cruise.  Never order/purchase an internet package pre-cruise because you will get the best price on-board.  You "trade-in" your free minutes and then buy the unlimited package.  I don't think it makes sense to buy more minutes even if you could.  I used to do that in the "old days", but now purchase the package on Day 1.  Note that you can also purchase a 4-device package for the cost (net with discount) of two single packages (net with discount), so sharing the plan is better than everyone having their own if you have more than two in a party/group. 

 

(I have not booked under Princess PLUS as yet because we don't drink enough beyond our free mini-bar setup and the wine I bring to make it worthwhile and I have analyzed it repeatedly).

 

For those passengers who do not get free internet minutes nor a discount, your best deal is to pre-order the internet package in the Cruise Personalizer.  Of course, if booking under Princess PLUS, no need to order internet as you already get unlimited.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Can anybody give me a quick reminder?  We are looking at the all included rates and doing the math.  We would get some WIFI minutes automatically.  So, if you can use your phone onboard on the Medallion App to look a the daily schedule Patter, etc...  That is not using your minutes, right?  

All we would need is to text our son back home occasionally, so I am not sure if the all inclusive fare with WIFI would have any value?

 

 

Basically, the "Best Sale Ever" or whatever Princess is calling it at the time, boils down to:

$40.00 per day per person. To determine if it is worth it, we figure:

 

$14.50 per day PP for gratuities

$5.00 for my special espresso drink each morning

$20.00 per evening for two glasses of wine PLUS .18% gratuities

Grand Total: $39.00  and that does not even include my occasional Iced Tea, Lemonade, Bottles Water, Herbal Tea from the International Cafe', or Internet etc.

 

We are Platinum, so we get "free" Internet. As you can see, the "BSE" is worth it to me even for some basics.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

  I used to do that in the "old days", but now purchase the package on Day 1.  Note that you can also purchase a 4-device package for the cost (net with discount) of two single packages (net with discount), so sharing the plan is better than everyone having their own if you have more than two in a party/group. 

 

 

 

If there are two of you and you do not both have to be on the Internet at the same time, one single package is all you need to purchase if you are not using Princess+ pricing.

 

You can share the unlimited minutes, just one device at a time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Well, they did used to offer additional minutes, but I am not sure that exists any more on Medallion Net ships.  And I would never have called it a good price - but it was better than waiting until you ran out and then go to buy more.  But those days should be long gone. 

 

The packages now are unlimited and they do offer the best pricing for Platinum/Elite passengers on Day 1 of the cruise.  Never order/purchase an internet package pre-cruise because you will get the best price on-board.  You "trade-in" your free minutes and then buy the unlimited package.  I don't think it makes sense to buy more minutes even if you could.  I used to do that in the "old days", but now purchase the package on Day 1.  Note that you can also purchase a 4-device package for the cost (net with discount) of two single packages (net with discount), so sharing the plan is better than everyone having their own if you have more than two in a party/group. 

 

(I have not booked under Princess PLUS as yet because we don't drink enough beyond our free mini-bar setup and the wine I bring to make it worthwhile and I have analyzed it repeatedly).

 

For those passengers who do not get free internet minutes nor a discount, your best deal is to pre-order the internet package in the Cruise Personalizer.  Of course, if booking under Princess PLUS, no need to order internet as you already get unlimited.

 

 

Our last cruise, July 2019, was on a medallion net ship.  They DID offer additional minutes for, I think, $40, which was much better than if purchased on princess.com before the cruise.  I forget how many extra minutes that allowed.  There were threads here and there about this saying NOT to prepurchase extra minutes before hand BECAUSE you got a better deal once boarding.  Once Princess starts to sail again, we will have to watch for info from people about any changes that happen onboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ombud said:

I have never used up my free minutes even when it was beyond slow. In those cases, I would long on. Download. Immediately log off. Respond. Log back on & everything goes out. Also you have access to Princess.com without using minutes. In that I don't play games my 250 minutes is enough for a 3 week cruise.

 

Also I'm a big coffee & cocoa drinker. 1 glass of wine is my limit. So I bring 2 bottles on (used to not bring any on but I got tired of them running out of my choice) and trade my minibar for 2 coffee programs. I run out but wind up being charge for an average of less than 3 lattes. 

 

So the BSE is worth it for crew 'incentive.' But I get 250 in SOBC & a little more from my PVP and they've been liberal in passing out extra OBC every time they cancel me (315-600 on my next 4 cruises). So even that doesn't warrant it.

 

Nope. Going with basic fare and ill still leave OBC on the table

I totally agree.  My minutes have always been plenty, and that was even before the faster Medallion Net.  We don't drink alcohol, so we trade our minibar for coffee cards.  We buy the inexpensive water package before we board (hopefully they'll still be offering that; if not we can go back to bringing on a case of water.)  Since we get military and shareholder obc plus some for using a fcd, that generally covers our gratuities plus the couple of tshirts we usually buy on board.  

 

3 hours ago, caribill said:

 

If there are two of you and you do not both have to be on the Internet at the same time, one single package is all you need to purchase if you are not using Princess+ pricing.

 

You can share the unlimited minutes, just one device at a time.

Thank you for this clarification.  We get free minutes which have always been more than enough for me, but my husband will probably want to trade his for an unlimited package.  It's good to know that that just in case anything comes up that will burn through a fair number of minutes, I can share his plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pompeii said:

We buy the inexpensive water package before we board

I also hope it's still available. Otherwise I bring my reusable bottle for when I'm off in ports.  12 bottles for $7 was a bargain and easier then packing a bottle

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I also hope it's still available. Otherwise I bring my reusable bottle for when I'm off in ports.  12 bottles for $7 was a bargain and easier then packing a bottle

 

I was just thinking I would expect it to be there.  That said, not long before the pauses wasn't there an announcement about reducing single-use plastics, which includes water bottles?  I do re-use any we buy for a while.  Perhaps Princess is going to discourage having these and will stop the sale? 

 

It would be nice to know if anyone going on a 2021 cruise - even if it was one of the ones just cancelled - has noticed the water package for sale in the Personalizer.  It is not there for our next voyage, but that is about 500 days off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Can anybody give me a quick reminder?  We are looking at the all included rates and doing the math.  We would get some WIFI minutes automatically.  So, if you can use your phone onboard on the Medallion App to look a the daily schedule Patter, etc...  That is not using your minutes, right?  

All we would need is to text our son back home occasionally, so I am not sure if the all inclusive fare with WIFI would have any value?

 

I did a quick scan of the responses so if I missed that someone already addressed this, sorry!

 

You don't need to pay for wifi when accessing the ships medallion apps.  Texting cannot be done over wifi, even if you have free minutes.  That is a cellular function.  However, if you and your son have iphones or a combo if iphones and ipads, then you can use Apple's imessage, which can be done over wifi.  When you are on the ship, you will put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on wifi to access the ship wifi (paid or free).  I hope that all makese sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Texting cannot be done over wifi, even if you have free minutes.  That is a cellular function.

Not true.  There are several apps that support texting over wifi/internet without cellular connection.  Some allow voice and/or video calls.  A very popular example is WhatsApp.  Almost everyone I know uses it.   Along with many international travel & tour providers.  It has been invaluable to have for contact with tour providers in foreign ports (we do 99% independent tours).

 

Edited by Steelers36
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not true.  There are several apps that support texting over wifi/internet without cellular connection.  Some allow voice and/or video calls.  A very popular example is WhatsApp.  Almost everyone I know uses it.   Along with many international travel & tour providers.  It has been invaluable to have for contact with tour providers in foreign ports (we do 99% independent tours).

 

Oh yes, sorry!  I was strictly speaking of texting through cellular.  WhatsApp requires each user to have the app to send/receive texts, correct?  For instance, a WhatsApp user cannot send messages to a phone number, but rather it must be to another WhatsApp user...?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Oh yes, sorry!  I was strictly speaking of texting through cellular.  WhatsApp requires each user to have the app to send/receive texts, correct?  For instance, a WhatsApp user cannot send messages to a phone number, but rather it must be to another WhatsApp user...?  

Yes, communication is among WhatsApp users - those who have installed the app and registered their phone.  It even works when in a foreign country and using a temporary local SIM.  I always sign up for local cell service when travelling as it is a total rip-off to consider paying a Canadian cell carrier for overseas access.  So, even though my phone number becomes local to, say Florida or a country in Europe, or Australia, WhatsApp still works without changing a thing. 

 

When the app is installed and setup, it tells you who is on WhatsApp from your Contact list.  It's a free app, so no reason not to install it.  Messages go encrypted end-to-end.

 

Even at home, I use WhatsApp more than cell texting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition besides, “Apple iMessage” and “WhatsApp” you can use “wifi calling” without using cellular if your phone and service provider have it.
 

Wi-Fi Calling lets you make and receive voice calls, texts and video calls over a Wi-Fi network instead of using a cellular network.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

In addition besides, “Apple iMessage” and “WhatsApp” you can use “wifi calling” without using cellular if your phone and service provider have it.
 

Wi-Fi Calling lets you make and receive voice calls, texts and video calls over a Wi-Fi network instead of using a cellular network.

Yes, but I had trouble calling some numbers with wifi calling when we were in the Mediterranean and Atlantic.  Not sure why.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Now that everything is MedallionNet and if the internet minutes are still available, do they both utilize the same fast internet?  (except of course one is unlimited and the other not.)  There is a discussion on a fb thread that only the unlimited MedallionNet packages are the fast internet, and the minutes use the old slow internet.   It seems to me that if minutes are still available on medallion ships they would both use the same technology,.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pompeii said:

Now that everything is MedallionNet and if the internet minutes are still available, do they both utilize the same fast internet?  (except of course one is unlimited and the other not.)  There is a discussion on a fb thread that only the unlimited MedallionNet packages are the fast internet, and the minutes use the old slow internet.   It seems to me that if minutes are still available on medallion ships they would both use the same technology,.

Yes, the internet connection is the same for whatever package you are on.  It is via satellite.  However, in more extreme latitudes, the fastest speed satellites have not been reachable.  IDK if anything has changed since 2019 in terms of any new satellite services.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...