Jump to content

Cruise Update- NBC News 6:30


Recommended Posts

On 5/20/2021 at 7:29 AM, ontheweb said:

Yes, that e-mail seems to be a generic response sent out that offends no one no matter what position they took.

True, but fwiw I'm encouraged by the statement that our comments have been forwarded on to the appropriate senior management.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't want to be on a cruise ship with both vaccinated and unvaccinated people. If there is an outbreak, and we have to all be confined in our cabins, what fun is that cruise?We have cruises booked  later this year. Glad the cruises will start before ours. If the ships come back with healthy passengers, I will feel much better about getting on a ship again.

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, nbsjcruiser said:

 

Given the high level of vaccine hesitancy in the US I expect its a matter of when, not if there is a ship that cuts off its cruise and returns early with sick people - or worse. But lets ignore that for now and pretend it doesn't happen. There's hardly going to be an island worth visiting that will allow non-vaccinated people to wander ashore, spreading the virus to their regions. So the whole argument should be be not only on safety but on the stops in other countries that will be off limits with large counts of unvaccinated people on board. The CDC, DeSantis, Federal Govt - none of them have any say on whether or not I can get off in Sint Maarten for example. This is going to severely restrict where people can cruise to. Cruise to nowhere or a couple private islands with multiple days at sea? Nope. No thanks.

 

So we can all argue about the efficacy of vaccines, on whether or not there will be breakouts until the cows come home. It all boils down to what countries will allow unvaccinated people off the boats. I suspect, not many if any at all until at least this virus is truly gone and that wont be for another couple of years given the low rate of vaccine distribution in most of the world.

Yes, the elephant in the room.... DeSantis can try to prevent proof of vaccination in Florida, but once that ship leaves the pier he can’t do squat about where and when vaccines can be required. I’m surprised that the cruise lines haven’t thought to channel Portia and say ok, no proof at the pier, but you will have to show proof when we reach international waters or you will be off at the next port.  Which brings up the bigger alternative issue that you raised.... even if the ship never requires vaccines, the ports probably will. How many DeSantis-supporting, anti-vaxxing Floridians will be satisfied with not getting off the ship for any port until they return to Florida?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Which brings up the bigger alternative issue that you raised.... even if the ship never requires vaccines, the ports probably will. How many DeSantis-supporting, anti-vaxxing Floridians will be satisfied with not getting off the ship for any port until they return to Florida?

exactly 0. The loud minority of Karens will make sure their voice is heard like the toddler I saw the other day screaming and crying on the grocery store floor.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Yes, the elephant in the room.... DeSantis can try to prevent proof of vaccination in Florida, but once that ship leaves the pier he can’t do squat about where and when vaccines can be required. 

 

This DeSantis-supporting part-time Floridian understands the difference between a cruiseline requiring a vaccine, and a port requiring a vaccine, any vaccine.

 

Haven't you ever travelled somewhere that required certain shots? I'm sure the airlines are doing that right now, even from FL.

 

He's simply avoiding the slippery slope of being asked for your shot records when buying a drink/meal/hotel room etc etc that would be the norm if some had their way.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sinbadssailors said:

 

This DeSantis-supporting part-time Floridian understands the difference between a cruiseline requiring a vaccine, and a port requiring a vaccine, any vaccine.

 

Haven't you ever travelled somewhere that required certain shots? I'm sure the airlines are doing that right now, even from FL.

 

He's simply avoiding the slippery slope of being asked for your shot records when buying a drink/meal/hotel room etc etc that would be the norm if some had their way.

 

 

The slippery slope would come to a complete stop if he’d recognize the problem with applying this rule to cruise lines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

The slippery slope would come to a complete stop if he’d recognize the problem with applying this rule to cruise lines. 

Royal Caribbean has already cancelled the cruises they had planned originating in Bermuda - not enough bookings ... 

 

when push comes to shove ... it will all be worked out to the mutual satisfaction of all parties involved ... and noone will be completely happy about the settlement - that's how negotiations work 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

Royal Caribbean has already cancelled the cruises they had planned originating in Bermuda - not enough bookings ... 

 

when push comes to shove ... it will all be worked out to the mutual satisfaction of all parties involved ... and noone will be completely happy about the settlement - that's how negotiations work 

I'm not sure what there is to settle.  I mean the cruise lines have been given multiple options to get sailing again and some like Royal Caribbean are pretty much there since they have a port agreement already.  Most of them have already agreed with the CDC rules and are working toward being ready by July or August.  They aren't even in the negotiations and to be honest I don't think the CDC is going to budge much here because cruises will be resuming soon so they don't have to.  The State of Florida has no legal jurisdiction making any rules in this regard according to the Constitution.  Most lawyers have said Florida doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.  There is no way a judge is going to allow the cruise lines to just police themselves.   

By the time we get to July masks won't even be required on vaccinated cruise ships and the rules will be toned down and this will be over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 2:42 AM, jackyfromwyk said:

I’m confused.  If the vaccine is effective, then why does it matter if others on board are vaccinated?  If it is effective then those who have gotten it are safe, right?  Anyway, I will cancel my Princess cruise if I have to get the shot.

 

Not having a vaccination will leave you at risk of getting ill.  Should you get infected on the way to the port you may get ill onboard and pass on the virus to others not vaccinated.  Depending on the percentage of ill passengers will determine where the ship can put into port.  It may even cause the ship to return to port.  Please if you don’t want to get the vaccine don’t board a ship and put everyone at risk of their long awaited cruise being disrupted.   At home you may come into contact with very few people .. why put thousands at risk on a ship. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, seapals2 said:

Not having a vaccination will leave you at risk of getting ill.  Should you get infected on the way to the port you may get ill onboard and pass on the virus to others not vaccinated.  Depending on the percentage of ill passengers will determine where the ship can put into port.  It may even cause the ship to return to port.  Please if you don’t want to get the vaccine don’t board a ship and put everyone at risk of their long awaited cruise being disrupted.   At home you may come into contact with very few people .. why put thousands at risk on a ship. 

Anyone that does not want the vaccine should just stay home!!!

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 6:42 PM, jackyfromwyk said:

I’m confused.  If the vaccine is effective, then why does it matter if others on board are vaccinated?  If it is effective then those who have gotten it are safe, right?  Anyway, I will cancel my Princess cruise if I have to get the shot.

 

Everyone must have proof of being fully vaccinated to board. That means at least 14 days after receiving your second shot (for J&J it’s only one shot). This is not going to change. Those that are vaccinated will find doors open for them and those that aren’t will find closed doors and fewer opportunities 

It’s the same thing as smokers vs non smokers.  Smokers and unvaccinated people put the health of the general public at risk. It’s only a matter of time before those that aren’t vaccinated will have extremely limited choices about where they spread their vapors. 
There is a preponderance of evidence in study after study after study over more than a year that all says the same thing. This is the same process we used to finally accepted that cigarettes kill. 
 

You should cancel your cruise and open that room up to a vaccinated traveler. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Everyone must have proof of being fully vaccinated to board. That means at least 14 days after receiving your second shot (for J&J it’s only one shot). This is not going to change. Those that are vaccinated will find doors open for them and those that aren’t will find closed doors and fewer opportunities 

It’s the same thing as smokers vs non smokers.  Smokers and unvaccinated people put the health of the general public at risk. It’s only a matter of time before those that aren’t vaccinated will have extremely limited choices about where they spread their vapors. 
There is a preponderance of evidence in study after study after study over more than a year that all says the same thing. This is the same process we used to finally accepted that cigarettes kill. 
 

You should cancel your cruise and open that room up to a vaccinated traveler. 

 

Spread their vapors?

 

Really nasty post. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 9:28 PM, 2 cruises a year said:

It is confusing.  They are separate, but together.  Carnival Corporation owns Carnival Cruise Lines and eight other lines.  But all of the lines under their umbrella operate independently.  Carnival Corporation does not tell them how to run their businesses.

Carnival Corp allows their individual cruise lines to operate independently up to a point.  They still get direction from the head office in more than financial matters.  I am vaccinated but do not want to be confined to my stateroom due to some ignorant adult who refused to get a vaccination and is now spreading the virus on the ship.  I sincerely hope that Princess and the other Carnival Corp cruise lines require the COVID vaccination before being allowed to board the ship.   

 

Duffy is president of Carnival Cruise Line.  Arnold Donald is president of Carnival Corp and Duffy's higher authority.  Jan Swartz is President of Princess and Group President of the Holland America Group (HAL, Princess, Seabourn and P&O Australia).  Therefore any comments made by Ms Duffy is applicable to Carnival ships only.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Carnival Corp allows their individual cruise lines to operate independently up to a point.  They still get direction from the head office in more than financial matters.  I am vaccinated but do not want to be confined to my stateroom due to some ignorant adult who refused to get a vaccination and is now spreading the virus on the ship.  I sincerely hope that Princess and the other Carnival Corp cruise lines require the COVID vaccination before being allowed to board the ship.   

 

Duffy is president of Carnival Cruise Line.  Arnold Donald is president of Carnival Corp and Duffy's higher authority.  Jan Swartz is President of Princess and Group President of the Holland America Group (HAL, Princess, Seabourn and P&O Australia).  Therefore any comments made by Ms Duffy is applicable to Carnival ships only.  

 

I agree completely.

 

On a side note about Carnival Corp being involved in Corporate decisions, I'm not sure if it is all of the ships, but Carnival Corp. owns at least some of the ships, and lets each cruise line "operate" the ships for them.  The cruise line submits plans and a request (that is why each cruise lines ships are somewhat similar), Carnival Corp. then accepts, or modifies the plans, and then contracts for the ships to be built on their dime.  Then turns them over to be operated for them.

Edited by 2 cruises a year
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2021 at 9:58 PM, pris993 said:

If you are vaccinated what are you worried about?  I trust the vaccination works, if ships cruising, I will be on board.   

 

This.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, awhcruiser said:

This.....

this and the fact that what else people with this type of an attitude are infected with.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CruzerJim said:

Seems like an awful lot of knee jerk reactions by posters. No vaccine mandate should not be confused with a recent negative Covid test. 


A negative test marks a certain point in time. There is nothing to prevent an unvaccinated person from being exposed in port and bringing the virus back on board.  It doesn't even guarantee that he was not exposed in transit and brought it on at embarkation. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2021 at 9:23 AM, Sinbadssailors said:

 

This DeSantis-supporting part-time Floridian understands the difference between a cruiseline requiring a vaccine, and a port requiring a vaccine, any vaccine.

 

Haven't you ever travelled somewhere that required certain shots? I'm sure the airlines are doing that right now, even from FL.

 

He's simply avoiding the slippery slope of being asked for your shot records when buying a drink/meal/hotel room etc etc that would be the norm if some had their way.

 

 


I guess I see it as a public health issue rather than a civil liberties one. The idea is to keep it from spreading and mutating. What is so hard about co-operating in the effort to do that?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...