Australian domestic cruises only for P&O this year

P&O Cruises has this morning begun advising trade partners of changes to all of its remaining 2021 international itineraries, which are being replaced with Australian domestic cruises.

The company said it was making the move "in light of the continued uncertainty," with clients offered the option of remaining booked on their existing departures with the new itineraries, or receiving a full refund of the amount paid to P&O Cruises Australia without penalty.

No action is required if clients are happy with the new voyage, with bookings automatically updated to reflect the change. 

P&O departures are currently paused until 17 September 2021, with the switch from international to domestic applying to selected cruises scheduled between 18 September and 31 December this year.

More details in tomorrow's issue of Cruise Weekly.

Source: Cruise Weekly update 18May 21

10 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

P&O Cruises has this morning begun advising trade partners of changes to all of its remaining 2021 international itineraries, which are being replaced with Australian domestic cruises.

The company said it was making the move "in light of the continued uncertainty," with clients offered the option of remaining booked on their existing departures with the new itineraries, or receiving a full refund of the amount paid to P&O Cruises Australia without penalty.

No action is required if clients are happy with the new voyage, with bookings automatically updated to reflect the change. 

P&O departures are currently paused until 17 September 2021, with the switch from international to domestic applying to selected cruises scheduled between 18 September and 31 December this year.

More details in tomorrow's issue of Cruise Weekly.

Source: Cruise Weekly update 18May 21

The P&O Cruises are scheduled, I doubt they will happen as the individual States are still very nervous of cruise ships. The ships have to get here first, they are parked all over the world.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Cruising won't happen, until Home Affairs change their policy about service or hospitality roles being filled by workers in Australia. ☹️ Source

The requirement for Australian crew on board seems to apply to "large passenger vessels up to 99 berths". There is no mention of larger cruise ships.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The requirement for Australian crew on board seems to apply to "large passenger vessels up to 99 berths". There is no mention of larger cruise ships.

Their wording is:

"Crew of large passenger vessels (up to 99 berths, inclusive) are not exempt from Australia’s travel restrictions and will need to submit a travel exemption request before travelling to Australia." 

Including the smaller ships: "up to 99 berths".

16 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Their wording is:

"Crew of large passenger vessels (up to 99 berths, inclusive) are not exempt from Australia’s travel restrictions and will need to submit a travel exemption request before travelling to Australia." 

Including the smaller ships: "up to 99 berths".

Oops. I overlooked the word 'inclusive'. 

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Oops. I overlooked the word 'inclusive'. 

Let's hope the States, which have invested in cruising, will pressure the Federal Government to allow them back in.🤞

I cannot see cruising returning whilst Morrison is against opening the borders until late 2022, at the earliest.☹️

It seems strange that P&O would go to all the bother of changing their itineraries if they didn't think there was a good possibility of getting their ships here and doing those new itineraries. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It seems strange that P&O would go to all the bother of changing their itineraries if they didn't think there was a good possibility of getting their ships here and doing those new itineraries. 

Maybe they know something that the general population don't?🤔 Or are P&O after a bit of cash flow?

17 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Assuming there will be an announcement in the next few days about the cruise  ban being extended past June 17th, maybe they’ve already been advised of the outcome??

I agree with your wishful thinking.🙂

41 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Maybe they know something that the general population don't?🤔 Or are P&O after a bit of cash flow?

They are replacing existing itineraries that already have bookings so I don't think it's a cash flow bid. In fact they may lose some bookings, ie Pacific Island, or NZ if bubble cruises aren't allowed.

Maybe there is some deal being wangled that we haven't heard of yet.

42 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Assuming there will be an announcement in the next few days about the cruise  ban being extended past June 17th, maybe they’ve already been advised of the outcome??

If it is extended it will probably be to Sept 17th which still leaves the peak cruise season up in the air.

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They are replacing existing itineraries that already have bookings so I don't think it's a cash flow bid. In fact they may lose some bookings, ie Pacific Island, or NZ if bubble cruises aren't allowed.

You may be right. Let's hope, for cruising’s sake.🤞🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

I cannot see cruising returning whilst Morrison is against opening the borders until late 2022, at the earliest.☹️

Do you see a change in expert medical advice or political will if there was a different party in government??

1 minute ago, mr walker said:

Do you see a change in expert medical advice or political will if there was a different party in government??

Only if it was a sensible party that actually tried to do their best for all Australians, but we haven't got one of those. 😝

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If it is extended it will probably be to Sept 17th which still leaves the peak cruise season up in the air.

The extensions seem to be 3 month periods with announcement a month before due to expire - so expecting a statement now. 

14 hours ago, mr walker said:

It won't matter which party is in power. According to a poll in today's SMH, the policy of keeping borders shut is supported by Forty-four per cent of those surveyed said it was “about right” to open from the middle of next year, while another 33 per cent believed it was “too optimistic” and 14 per cent were unsure. Only 9 per cent believed the timetable was “too pessimistic”.  There is no support to open the borders, therefore no cruising. 😒🤬

I hope it eventuates but won't be putting any money down, one good thing is that P&O Australia do tend to have a much more local workforce compared to other lines, especially if pacific islanders are considered local.

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I would think so - I don't think Carnival (one ofthe largest companies in the  world) runs their business on "wishful thinking"