Carnival might not require Covid vaccine.

They are appealing to their demographics. From the get go, CCL has made it clear that they are “America’s cruise line”, that they won’t reposition ships away from US ports, and that they won’t require vaccines. A huge percentage of their clientele is drawn to them by that rhetoric, many who refuse to get vaccinated, who have no desire to get a passport, or hop on an airplane internationally to cruise. 

Even though I have children who would be banned from cruising on several cruise lines until they are vaccinated, I won’t be rushing to book a Carnival cruise just yet. If I get desperate enough to go on a cruise in the next 2-3 months, I’d prefer to fly to St Maarten to hop on Celebrity knowing that all passengers over 12 will be vaccinated and that the small number of children under 12 will still be required to have a PCR test. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 6

I am glad they are sticking to their guns, and I hope they continue to do so. No other travel group is being treated in this manner (not even planes which now pack you in with absolutely no free seats). I  guarantee that more unvaccinated people go through just one indoor queue for just one ride (by multiples) than the amount of people on a cruise ship, tens of thousands each day, hundreds of thousands in a week. If you've ever gone to Disney, you know what I mean. The cruise lines are being very unfairly treated here. My go to was always RC, but if they require vaccines and Carnival doesn't, I'll be swapping over, happily. I am glad there at least appear to be choices for everyone.

• Like 17

31 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

🥱, I thought this was a HAL board….

It is, but nobody's cruising right now, HAL included.  Hope you can bear this one thread that doesn't meet up with you standards. 😉

Edited by mightycruisequeen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It sounds like they may be able to get their test cruises finished in June and start cruising in July or August.  I think they are right in their statements that other industries aren't held to the same standards.   It's good to have options. Those who want vaccinated-only cruises can find them and those who don't may be able to cruise on Carnival this year.  I don't see the problem other than people being upset because  they think their way is the only way.

• Like 17

23 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It sounds like they may be able to get their test cruises finished in June and start cruising in July or August.  I think they are right in their statements that other industries aren't held to the same standards.   It's good to have options. Those who want vaccinated-only cruises can find them and those who don't may be able to cruise on Carnival this year.  I don't see the problem other than people being upset because  they think their way is the only way.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think they can get their test cruises finished in June? Have any been scheduled as far as you know? And remember, each ship would need test cruises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think they can get their test cruises finished in June? Have any been scheduled as far as you know? And remember, each ship would need test cruises.

I am actually skeptical about them being able to cruise with regular passengers in July.  The article made it sound like Carnival thinks July cruises are possible, which sounds to me like they plan on June test cruises.  I think August might be the earliest they will be able to cruise with regular passengers.  Of course, I am only guessing.  Maybe if they can do one 5 day test cruise per ship at the end of June, they can cruise in August.  I don't know.

Not requiring vaccinations would be like playing Russian Roulette. Cruise and Covid outbreak happens Carnival cruise ship would be dead in the water.

You think the CDC was bad before, that scenario would cripple Carnival again and possibly much longer.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Not requiring vaccinations would be like playing Russian Roulette. Cruise and Covid outbreak happens Carnival cruise ship would be dead in the water.

You think the CDC was bad before, that scenario would cripple Carnival again and possibly much longer.

Or...maybe everything will be fine.  I think cruises are sailing in other parts of the world without the cruise industry crumbling.  Maybe Carnival will require negative covid tests before cruising.  Maybe if someone goes from testing negative to having symptoms and seeking medical care, they can simply quarantine the person.  It's possible that they will have precautions in place that will work.  A positive  covid case should not result in the end of a cruise just like a positive flu case doesn't.  There are treatments and vaccines.  Covid is not what it was a year ago and I think Carnival is right in their position.

The only negative I can see are the ridiculous mask mandates for cruises.  That is my only concern about cruising with unvaccinated people.  I don't want to have to wear a mask just because some people aren't vaccinated.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Or...maybe everything will be fine.  I think cruises are sailing in other parts of the world without the cruise industry crumbling.  Maybe Carnival will require negative covid tests before cruising.  Maybe if someone goes from testing negative to having symptoms and seeking medical care, they can simply quarantine the person.  It's possible that they will have precautions in place that will work.  A positive  covid case should not result in the end of a cruise just like a positive flu case doesn't.  There are treatments and vaccines.  Covid is not what it was a year ago and I think Carnival is right in their position.

The only negative I can see are the ridiculous mask mandates for cruises.  That is my only concern about cruising with unvaccinated people.  I don't want to have to wear a mask just because some people aren't vaccinated.

All I’m saying and my opinion is the CDC will rear it’s head IF something happens.

But it’s not the first time we don’t agree😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

All I’m saying and my opinion is the CDC will rear it’s head IF something happens.

But it’s not the first time we don’t agree😂😂

True.  LOL.  I really think all of the worry about cruises turning around mid cruise is for nothing.  Our country is finally opening up to living again and it's time for the cruises to do so too.  They should be able to serve people in their dining areas just like restaurants can.  They should be able to house people in their cabins like hotels.  They should be able to let people relax by a pool mask-free just like places with pools do.  They are asking for equal treatment.

I am actually fine with vaccinated cruises or with non-vaccinated cruises because I am vaccinated.  I just want to cruise and not have to wear a mask while lounging on the pool deck or sipping a drink at a comedy show.  That shouldn't be too much to ask.😇

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Its the damage to the entire industry that something like that could cause that worries me. If Carnival does allow unvaccinated guests on,  its a matter of when, not if, there is a large breakout. Then CNN and the rest will line up and we'll hear all about the safety issues with cruising, norovirus, Diamond Princess, Grandma will be interviewed as her 80 year old husband is being carted away to the ICU unit, honeymooners will lament their lost honeymoon and want their money back - in short, one sad story after another and it will all serve the purpose of giving every cruise line a black eye. 

It boggles my mind that knowing, more than a year later, how dangerously infectious this virus is and also knowing that a significant portion of Americans wont get vaccinated, that Carnival would want to take this chance. They are only prolonging their own recovery and ensuring an entire industry will suffer due to their poor decision making.

Yet another reason to avoid Carnival - as if I needed more.

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 8

I took the vaccine because I believe it works.  That being said, I'm not worried about catching it from those that are unvaccinated. It is the unvaccinated that need to worry about spreading it to the unvaccinated (If I'm wrong, I'm sure all of you will tell me why). If they are not going to require proof of vaccines for flights, trains (long trips), buses (long trips), or indoor sporting events, I don't see why we have to show proof on a cruise ship.   

• Like 6

Just now, FiremedicMike151 said:

If only we had an example of active cruises over the last 8 months where vaccines weren't required (or weren't even available) so that we could study what happens on cruises where not everyone is vaccinated....

oh wait, we do.

Shhh... no one is supposed to mention that

• Like 4
  • Haha 2