Virtuosa maiden voyage

Stu UK

5 hours ago, kernow said:

As others have said, I think the higher prices are to encourage more people to pay the premium plus upgrade. I don't blame them at all, while we're perfectly happy with the drinks already included many will pay the (reasonable) price to upgrade. Another thing to consider is that on these UK cruises the passenger numbers are very low so they won't be selling anywhere near as much as normal onboard.

I am suprised that prices are going up. Instead of trying to get as many people as possible they raise the prices. I think its due to the fact that the number of people allowed on cruise ship has been halved

19 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

It's the MSC Virtuosa doing the UK seacations, not the Mgnifica. Brand new lovely ship!

My mistake!

Done and booked the 4 night from Liverpool on 13th July as a solo guest. Not been off the Isle of Man for 16 months due to the border restrictions that have been in place. Not done a cruise before as a solo guest.

Very excited!

6 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

My mistake!

Done and booked the 4 night from Liverpool on 13th July as a solo guest. Not been off the Isle of Man for 16 months due to the border restrictions that have been in place. Not done a cruise before as a solo guest.

Very excited!

I'll bet. Hope you have a great cruise on 13th July. We board tomorrow and am so excited!

IN RELATION TO THE MANDATORY HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE THAT MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 6 HOURS PRIOR EMBARKATION, HAVE YOU STAYED OR TRAVELLED IN ONE OF THE COUNTRIES LISTED BELOW IN THE LAST 14 DAYS?

Bulgaria, Romania, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Republic of Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Chile, Kuwait, North Macedonia, Moldova, Oman, Panama, Peru, Dominican Republic, Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia, any other state outside the Schengen area, United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino, or Vatican City State.

Hi again everyone!

The above is a question on the mandatory health questionnaire.

Considering every other answer is no, it will feel weird to tick a “yes” box right at the start when I complete the form within 6 hours of embarkation but considering we are in the U.K. and sailing from the U.K. the answer is obviously yes. 

3 minutes ago, MISSGJ said:

IN RELATION TO THE MANDATORY HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE THAT MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 6 HOURS PRIOR EMBARKATION, HAVE YOU STAYED OR TRAVELLED IN ONE OF THE COUNTRIES LISTED BELOW IN THE LAST 14 DAYS?

Bulgaria, Romania, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Republic of Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Chile, Kuwait, North Macedonia, Moldova, Oman, Panama, Peru, Dominican Republic, Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia, any other state outside the Schengen area, United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino, or Vatican City State.

Hi again everyone!

Considering every other answer is no, it will feel weird to tick a “yes” box right at the start when I complete the form within 6 hours of embarkation but considering we are in the U.K. and sailing from the U.K. the answer is obviously yes. 

I would answer this as a No. They are asking have you visited any of the listed countries OR ' any other state outside the Schengen area, United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino, or Vatican City State.'

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Just poor translation. They could also have used a semi-colon, althugh less than perfect. 

Wow. I feel they should hire me to a) Fix their tech side and b) Help with basic clarity of textual information on the web site. 🙂 Can they just pay me in free cruises? I'm open to all offers.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, MISSGJ said:

Hi again everyone!

I left the box blank as I wasn’t sure whether to tick yes or no lol. The port agent said its ‘no’ if you haven’t left the UK in the last 14 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

I left the box blank as I wasn’t sure whether to tick yes or no lol. The port agent said its ‘no’ if you haven’t left the UK in the last 14 days.

Only with MSC .... 🤣 The UK should not be in the list.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, little britain said:

On another note: is the aft elephant pool for adults only please? 

No it’s not. We were sunbathing by it yesterday and a couple of kids were in it. The pool is quite small, although it’s a really nice area with its own bar. A lot quieter than the main pool area.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaroleC said:

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, caffeine_demon said:

Did anyone else find their wifi had been switched off at midnight even though there was still an evening left?

No, I was too tight to buy a package 😆. I managed to pick up a signal most of the cruise, albeit a bit spotty at times but I managed. Couldn’t get one last night though funnily enough 🤷‍♀️

Edited by CaroleC

18 hours ago, MISSGJ said:

Ok that had me completely confused. 

Thank you everyone. So the answer is no the same as every question. I thought it odd. I’m glad I posted. Thank you all again for your help. 

Agree ; there isn’t an OR so I would put Yes as the UK is listed..?

35 minutes ago, little britain said:

32 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Soooo - how have those who've been on the May 24th cruise got on?

Any comments, good, bad or indifferent?

We loved the ship, it has certainly has the wow factor on first appearances. The crew seem happy to be on board and all try to be helpful as they can be. 

I was very underwhelmed with the solarium area which just doesn’t compare to RCI’s on their big ships. Outside pool areas were nice although I can imagine it may be difficult to find a lounger when pax capacity is increased. 

We had a Fantastica balcony cabin which was a decent size with plenty of storage space. It was on deck 12 near the stern (reallocated by MSC a week before sailing as deck 9 wasn’t being used) and a quite a long walk from the nearest lifts midship. Deck plans do show aft lifts, these are not accessible to pax. 

Food was ok although not a great deal of choice certainly in the Marketplace buffet restaurant. Whether this will improve as pax numbers increase remains to be seen.

Both embarkation and disembarkation was quick and painless. We had a boarding time of 13:40, took approx 45 minutes from entering the terminal building to setting foot on the ship. This morning, we were on our way home in less than 20 minutes after finishing breakfast, however, this may have been down to being one of the last to leave. There were only a dozen suitcases left in collection area, I counted lol.

Would I sail on her again? You bet, already have the 3rd July departure booked!

Edited by CaroleC
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, little britain said:

Agree ; there isn’t an OR so I would put Yes as the UK is listed..?

Yes, definitely tick ‘no’, this is what we were instructed to do by the port agent.

49 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

We loved the ship, it has certainly has the wow factor on first appearances. The crew seem happy to be on board and all try to be helpful as they can be. 

I was very underwhelmed with the solarium area which just doesn’t compare to RCI’s on their big ships. Outside pool areas were nice although I can imagine it may be difficult to find a lounger when pax capacity is increased. 

We had a Fantastica balcony cabin which was a decent size with plenty of storage space. It was on deck 12 near the stern (reallocated by MSC a week before sailing as deck 9 wasn’t being used) and a quite a long walk from the nearest lifts midship. Deck plans do show aft lifts, these are not accessible to pax. 

Food was ok although not a great deal of choice certainly in the Marketplace buffet restaurant. Whether this will improve as pax numbers increase remains to be seen.

Both embarkation and disembarkation was quick and painless. We had a boarding time of 13:40, took approx 45 minutes from entering the terminal building to setting foot on the ship. This morning, we were on our way home in less than 20 minutes after finishing breakfast, however, this may have been down to being one of the last to leave. There were only a dozen suitcases left in collection area, I counted lol.

Would I sail on her again? You bet, already have the 3rd July departure booked!

Glad you enjoyed the cruise and thanks for the update.

Are both decks 8 and 9 not being used? We're on 5th June and had a deck 8 cabin, today that has gone to guarantee and no cabin number. Wondering where we may end up.

1 hour ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Soooo - how have those who've been on the May 24th cruise got on?

Any comments, good, bad or indifferent?

We're just back from the the 24th May sailing.  Well not just back, we've been shopping and got the washing on😉

Embarkation was fine, slightly slower than normal but that was to be expected.  My only comment about the system would be that social distancing in the queues wasn't possible because the 'lines' where you snake around the rows were too close together.

After getting over the airbridge to the ship there is a real WOW factor, everything is new and bright and shiny!  The staircases in the main atrium are stunning.  Lifts are very flashy, no buttons inside - everything is pressed before you get in - we never had to wait more than a couple of seconds for one to arrive.

We had an inside cabin which is perfectly adequate for a few days, maybe even a week or ten days but anything longer than that would need careful planning and probably the use of suitcases under the bed as chests of drawers.  

The drinks prices onboard are eyewatering  Thank heavens for the drinks package!   Everything we could ever want was included, we were even allowed doubles if we asked for them.  Obviously drinks from Rob the Robot bartender aren't included - last night we saw a family of 4 order one each and the cost was £72 - £18 each 😲 

We enjoyed EVERY meal we had - all the meals were taken in the main restaurant with the exception of one lunch when we had stuff from the pool grill.  The service wasn't particularly fast but we prefer a leisurely meal anyway so that didn't worry us at all.  Although the choice was not huge I was always spoilt for choice and took an age to decide.  Not once did we have to resort to the 'always available' section of the menu.  We really loved the 'Mediterranean Evening' menu.  Not a huge turn out for black tie night, or elegant night as it is called on MSC, but we really enjoyed getting dressed up for the first time in well over a year.

The entertainment has already been well documented by others who travelled on the first cruise and I would agree with most of what has been said.  The main theatre is lovely, by the way you can take a drink in with you but there is no waiter service in there.  The singers and dancers were all really good, the shows were spectacular but sometimes a bit random and we were left wondering what was going on!  We saw the comedian once, and once was enough.  We saw Soul Sisters once and we were disappointed that we didn't manage to get to see them again.  I've just thought of something - the venue (can't remember the name) where the comedian and Souls Sisters performed  reminded us of a warehouse - not our favourite place at all.

I think I've covered everything - just one more thing I would mention.  We travelled with friends and our bookings were linked.  Sometimes they would scan one cruise card/bracelet, sometimes one per couple and sometimes all four.  When we checked on one of the many terminals onboard they had been charging us for drinks.  Reception soon sorted it for us but said we should all scan our cards when ordering food/drinks.  I don't think this would be a problem for those travelling solo or as a couple though.

This was our first MSC cruise - would we go on Virtuosa again?  ABSOLUTELY we would BUT only if we went before it was allowed to travel with a full compliment of passengers.  With only the 900 or so on board it was perfect, had there been 6,000 I think I would have hated it.

Sorry this has been so long, if you are still waiting for your cruise, you will love it.  Promise.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, kernow said:

Are both decks 8 and 9 not being used? We're on 5th June and had a deck 8 cabin, today that has gone to guarantee and no cabin number. Wondering where we may end up.

We had a deck 9 cabin booked and when we got to check in they told us we had been moved to deck 11.  Sorry but I don't know if they are just not using decks 8 and 9 - maybe someone will come along and let you know.

• Like 1

Just remembered - the staff were all really, really friendly.  I think we had to say 'good morning/evening' or 'thank you' at least 10 times before we even got to our table.

Temperature checks too each time we got to the restaurant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kernow said:

I knew deck 9 wasn’t being used on our sailing as I’d been told this by MSC when I rang to query why they had moved me from my carefully selected midship cabin on that deck to one near the stern on deck 12. It wasn’t until we received the disembarkation info on board which is listed in deck order that I realised that 8 wasn’t being used either.

• Like 1