Jump to content

Virtuosa maiden voyage


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

ah! Gotcha. Maybe they've just upped them to make it look like you're getting a great deal.

I think you are right, as It's the first time they are using £ 

Bottle of beer.   £8.    😁 

The sailings are only sold with an inclusive package with a £10 per drink price cap on Premium Package  

Edited by LifeonMars
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Thanks for your ongoing thread so far.

I'm seriously considering booking on one of the UK "seacations" this summer. Unsure whether to book on the MSC Magnifica or the Celebrity Silhouette though. Help!

 

Celebrity are requesting a  PCR Test  within 72 hours to  check in I believe, 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/uk-travel-requirements

 

Edited by LifeonMars
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LifeonMars said:

 

Celebrity are requesting a  PCR Test 72 hours prior to check in I believe, 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/uk-travel-requirements

 

So I saw this morning. Seems crazy when they are only having fully vaccinated pax. Given that I live on the Isle of Man that will complicate things! MSC seems like the winner to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JP82 said:

I guess they also didn't have over a years worth of stationary ships and non revenue generation to make up for before though.

 

Yup exactly - its clear how they plan to pay back some of that debt! I don't think drink prices in my local pub have gone up quite as much though (£5 to £5.50 maybe?) and they've also been closed for a long time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

 

Yup exactly - its clear how they plan to pay back some of that debt! I don't think drink prices in my local pub have gone up quite as much though (£5 to £5.50 maybe?) and they've also been closed for a long time.

But MSC will be looking at their (I would imagine) huge overheads, and that captive audience once they're aboard, and pushing the limit as far as they can.

 

I'm not mad at it, and all the more reason for the drinks package!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

24 minutes ago, JP82 said:

I guess they also didn't have over a years worth of stationary ships and non revenue generation to make up for before though.

 

The prices are UK specific - here is a comparison to MSC Seaside (also with new menu's) from May 2021:

 

Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial
£23 on Virtuosa vs €18 on Seaside (£15.54 at todays exchange rate)


Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial
£20 on Virtuosa vs €16 on Seaside

 

Veuve Clicquot Rich Rosé
£23 on Virtuosa vs €18 on Seaside


Veuve Clicquot Rich Brut

£21 on Virtuosa vs €17 on Seaside

 

Of course with everyone having the premium drinks package on Virtuosa I'm not sure it really is a problem.  It makes the premium plus upgrade more attractive.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, I think the higher prices are to encourage more people to pay the premium plus upgrade. I don't blame them at all, while we're perfectly happy with the drinks already included many will pay the (reasonable) price to upgrade. Another thing to consider is that on these UK cruises the passenger numbers are very low so they won't be selling anywhere near as much as normal onboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

ah! Gotcha. Maybe they've just upped them to make it look like you're getting a great deal.

 

Or you think the opposite - "if I book MSC again I will have to buy the drinks package rather than buy drink by drink at those prices" - and that package cost is enough to put many light drinkers off.

 

The menus are only valid for this seasons UK cruises so it would have been better to simply say "included" next to all the £10 and under and "upgrade" next to the more expensive drinks - that way, people wouldn't be scared off by seeing massively inflated pricing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The MSC app on board shows you what you would have spent if you had been buying the drinks ( that are wiped out by having the packages).... some frightening daily totals!!

 

 

On another note: is the aft elephant pool for adults only please? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We were due back on Virtuosa June 12th but found a big price drop for June 26th.

 

MSC cancellation / amendment pages weren't helpful as we are so close to the June 12th sailing - basically saying we lost our money or that we could move the booking to a more expensive sailing and pay different or a cheaper one but not get the refund.

 

So I emailed them.

 

They've agreed to move us to the June 26th date and give us £490 OBC - which suits us as it means we'll enjoy 3 excursions and wi-fi for free using that OBC.

 

Hopefully weather a bit nicer end of June.

 

Something for nothing and if you don't ask you don't get.

 

 

 

Edited by Couple-Somerset
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, little britain said:

The MSC app on board shows you what you would have spent if you had been buying the drinks ( that are wiped out by having the packages).... some frightening daily totals!!

 

 

Yes, ours was £1,100 for the 4 days lol

 

We got off on May 24th but the app has since sent me and my wife updates for that cruise - notifying her that she has a theatre booking and one for me about debarkation - this all 2 or 3 days after we got off lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, little britain said:

The MSC app on board shows you what you would have spent if you had been buying the drinks ( that are wiped out by having the packages).... some frightening daily totals!!

 

Competition time 😂😂

Highest average per day spend 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Thanks for your ongoing thread so far.

I'm seriously considering booking on one of the UK "seacations" this summer. Unsure whether to book on the MSC Magnifica or the Celebrity Silhouette though. Help!

It's the MSC Virtuosa doing the UK seacations, not the Mgnifica. Brand new lovely ship!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kernow said:

As others have said, I think the higher prices are to encourage more people to pay the premium plus upgrade. I don't blame them at all, while we're perfectly happy with the drinks already included many will pay the (reasonable) price to upgrade. Another thing to consider is that on these UK cruises the passenger numbers are very low so they won't be selling anywhere near as much as normal onboard.

I am suprised that prices are going up. Instead of trying to get as many people as possible they raise the prices. I think its due to the fact that the number of people allowed on cruise ship has been halved

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

It's the MSC Virtuosa doing the UK seacations, not the Mgnifica. Brand new lovely ship!

My mistake!

Done and booked the 4 night from Liverpool on 13th July as a solo guest. Not been off the Isle of Man for 16 months due to the border restrictions that have been in place. Not done a cruise before as a solo guest.

Very excited!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

My mistake!

Done and booked the 4 night from Liverpool on 13th July as a solo guest. Not been off the Isle of Man for 16 months due to the border restrictions that have been in place. Not done a cruise before as a solo guest.

Very excited!

I'll bet. Hope you have a great cruise on 13th July. We board tomorrow and am so excited!

Link to post
Share on other sites

IN RELATION TO THE MANDATORY HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE THAT MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 6 HOURS PRIOR EMBARKATION, HAVE YOU STAYED OR TRAVELLED IN ONE OF THE COUNTRIES LISTED BELOW IN THE LAST 14 DAYS?

Bulgaria, Romania, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Republic of Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Chile, Kuwait, North Macedonia, Moldova, Oman, Panama, Peru, Dominican Republic, Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia, any other state outside the Schengen area, United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino, or Vatican City State.

 

 

 

Hi again everyone!

 

The above is a question on the mandatory health questionnaire.


Considering every other answer is no, it will feel weird to tick a “yes” box right at the start when I complete the form within 6 hours of embarkation but considering we are in the U.K. and sailing from the U.K. the answer is obviously yes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MISSGJ said:

IN RELATION TO THE MANDATORY HEALTH QUESTIONNAIRE THAT MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 6 HOURS PRIOR EMBARKATION, HAVE YOU STAYED OR TRAVELLED IN ONE OF THE COUNTRIES LISTED BELOW IN THE LAST 14 DAYS?

Bulgaria, Romania, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, Republic of Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Chile, Kuwait, North Macedonia, Moldova, Oman, Panama, Peru, Dominican Republic, Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia, any other state outside the Schengen area, United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino, or Vatican City State.

 

 

 

Hi again everyone!

 

The above is a question on the mandatory health questionnaire.


Considering every other answer is no, it will feel weird to tick a “yes” box right at the start when I complete the form within 6 hours of embarkation but considering we are in the U.K. and sailing from the U.K. the answer is obviously yes. 

I would answer this as a No. They are asking have you visited any of the listed countries OR ' any other state outside the Schengen area, United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino, or Vatican City State.'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok that had me completely confused. 
 

Thank you everyone. So the answer is no the same as every question. I thought it odd. I’m glad I posted. Thank you all again for your help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

 

Just poor translation. They could also have used a semi-colon, althugh less than perfect. 

 

Wow. I feel they should hire me to a) Fix their tech side and b) Help with basic clarity of textual information on the web site. 🙂 Can they just pay me in free cruises? I'm open to all offers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...