Virtuosa maiden voyage

Stu UK

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Greenock is in level 1 category, so cannot see why they wouldn't dock there! Presumably your concern is Glasgow, which is some 25 miles from Greenock. Any tours, I'd guess, would concentrate on Loch Lomond and the lower highland areas which are non-problematic in COVID-19 terms.

Thanks for the reply.  My main interest at present is if embarkations will be allowed from Scotland as I explained in another post, though I appreciate it is all a waiting game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightWoman said:

We embark from Greenock on the 23rd June so hopefully there's no issues 🚢 🥂

Likewise I on the 18th August.  

I work in another port in Scotland with / on the cruise ships, and our season has been desecrated again this year., and next to no "UK staycation" calls mainly due to the Scottish Government indecision.   I hope MSC haven't gone ahead with the Greenock calls in hope rather than expectation, although if there is a problem, it won't be them I will be pointing the finger of blame at.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cruisecrazymum said:

Inverclyde were Greenock is . Is in level 1 from tomorrow . No issues what so ever. 

Where I live, the West of Scotland has been placed into the highest category group therefore I have to do 14 days quarantine instead of one... even if I do not get off the ship: so for me it certainly is an issue! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidari said:

G ... What about the Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies ? Not too far away from Greenock by Coach.

Is that an offered tour on Virtuosa? If so, that surprises me...not that it's not interesting, but I really couldn't see much demand for such!

11 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Is that an offered tour on Virtuosa? If so, that surprises me...not that it's not interesting, but I really couldn't see much demand for such!

No idea but why not ? other cruise lines like Princess offer them.

5 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Likewise I on the 18th August.  

I work in another port in Scotland with / on the cruise ships, and our season has been desecrated again this year., and next to no "UK staycation" calls mainly due to the Scottish Government indecision.   I hope MSC haven't gone ahead with the Greenock calls in hope rather than expectation, although if there is a problem, it won't be them I will be pointing the finger of blame at.

Thank you for the comment.  I have seen a number of your posts on the Fred site so am aware of your role in a port and on ships.  I hope your cruise goes ahead without disruption as well well as a number of others before that.

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

It's not, still gust the three:

Greenock:

Panoramic Scottish locks £49

Cruise on the stunning loch Lomond £59

Glasgow sightseeing tour £42

8 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

I see the sailing from Greenock on June 16th has completely disappeared from MSC website...I hope it’s not cancelled!!

Or if it is, I hope at least we are notified shortly. Arghhhh the stress!!! 

I noticed that this morning to . I'm hoping it just means it's sold out . Are you on this cruise ? That's only a week away surley someone would have told you by now ? Please keep us updated if you are on it. I'm a few weeks later from Greenock . 

Just now, Cruisecrazymum said:

I noticed that this morning to . I'm hoping it just means it's sold out . Are you on this cruise ? That's only a week away surley someone would have told you by now ? Please keep us updated if you are on it. I'm a few weeks later from Greenock . 

Yes we are...hopefully! Will update if it changes but fingers firmly crossed!! 

9 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Really...OK that maybe lends more weight to the sold out theory then 🥳 Thanks Carole!

Just had another look. The 8th June sailing from Liverpool is missing now too. My guess is all of these departures are now full, really can’t see them being cancelled at this late stage. I’m sure there would have been folks posting on the main MSC board if they had received cancellation emails.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Just had another look. The 8th June sailing from Liverpool is missing now too. My guess is all of these departures are now full, really can’t see them being cancelled at this late stage. I’m sure there would have been folks posting on the main MSC board if they had received cancellation emails.

I think you’re right. It’s the Scotland issue that’s making me worry more I think - I don’t really understand all the regulating bodies etc but I know Nicola S is quite cautious in general...

But with Southampton and Liverpool departures also missing, I’m now optimistic that they’ve sold out. All I need now is my cabin assigned, my tickets, and I’m good to go on 16th!

4 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

I think you’re right. It’s the Scotland issue that’s making me worry more I think - I don’t really understand all the regulating bodies etc but I know Nicola S is quite cautious in general...

But with Southampton and Liverpool departures also missing, I’m now optimistic that they’ve sold out. All I need now is my cabin assigned, my tickets, and I’m good to go on 16th!

Or maybe the window for booking has closed? 

4 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

We didn’t get our tickets until about a week before our departure on 28th May. Turns out MSC were waiting for my insurance info (name of Co, policy no. and telephone no.) despite my TA having emailed the info to them 🙄. Tickets should be available 20 days prior to departure so it might be worth checking to ensure they have your insurance details on file.

4 minutes ago, NightWoman said:

Or maybe the window for booking has closed? 

My sailing on 28th May was available to book online up until 48 hours prior to departure. I know as I was checking for a last minute price drop for friends we wanted to join us.

2 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

We didn’t get our tickets until about a week before our departure on 28th May. Turns out MSC were waiting for my insurance info (name of Co, policy no. and telephone no.) despite my TA having emailed the info to them 🙄. Tickets should be available 20 days prior to departure so it might be worth checking to ensure they have your insurance details on file.

It’s ongoing...my poor TA has been on hold to MSC for the best part of a fortnight between trying to sort these tickets and also trying to rebook a Seaside August cruise. I think I’ll be blacklisted by the TA once they finally get rid of me! 

I’ve provided insurance details but the cabin is a BB GTY (only BB option there was) and not yet allocated so I think maybe it’s that now holding it up? Either way I’m sure it will be fine. Just get me on that ship!! 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

It’s ongoing...my poor TA has been on hold to MSC for the best part of a fortnight between trying to sort these tickets and also trying to rebook a Seaside August cruise. I think I’ll be blacklisted by the TA once they finally get rid of me! 

I’ve provided insurance details but the cabin is a BB GTY (only BB option there was) and not yet allocated so I think maybe it’s that now holding it up? Either way I’m sure it will be fine. Just get me on that ship!! 

I actually ended up ringing MSC myself as I felt so sorry for my TA (she said at one point that she hates dealing with MSC and silently groans whenever a client makes an enquiry about booking with them 🙈). She was adamant she had provided my insurance details so I spent the best part of an hour on hold waiting to speak to an agent. When I finally got through, it was relatively straightforward with me providing the details (again). Also, I’ve just remembered that the agent said my county was missing from my address (it wasn’t!) so she added that in her end too 🙄. Anyway, the tickets were issued very shortly after my phone call and I could even print them from my account even though that shouldn’t have been possible as I’d booked through a TA 🤷‍♀️

Edited by CaroleC

20 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

I actually ended up ringing MSC myself as I felt so sorry for my TA (she said at one point that she hates dealing with MSC and silently groans whenever a client makes an enquiry about booking with them 🙈). She was adamant she had provided my insurance details so I spent the best part of an hour on hold waiting to speak to an agent. When I finally got through, it was relatively straightforward with me providing the details (again). Also, I’ve just remembered that the agent said my county was missing from my address (it wasn’t!) so she added that in her end too 🙄. Anyway, the tickets were issued very shortly after my phone call and I could even print them from my account even though that shouldn’t have been possible as I’d booked through a TA 🤷‍♀️

I’ve done that too...for the exact same reason! On hold for over an hour and nothing seemed to change following the phonecall - that was two weeks ago I think - so I’ve still had to pester my TA. Trouble is I can SEE that my cabin isn’t allocated but the insurance bit is shrouded in mystery isn’t it! 

Ahh well it all adds to the excitement I suppose; except for the poor TAs. No wonder they’re not always keen on recommending MSC, it does all sound like a right pain for them. But the ships look so beautiful and the prices are so good that they are difficult to resist!

18 minutes ago, Malibustacey79 said:

I’ve done that too...for the exact same reason! On hold for over an hour and nothing seemed to change following the phonecall - that was two weeks ago I think - so I’ve still had to pester my TA. Trouble is I can SEE that my cabin isn’t allocated but the insurance bit is shrouded in mystery isn’t it! 

Ahh well it all adds to the excitement I suppose; except for the poor TAs. No wonder they’re not always keen on recommending MSC, it does all sound like a right pain for them. But the ships look so beautiful and the prices are so good that they are difficult to resist!

Yes the Virtuosa was beautiful and more than made up for all the hassle beforehand. We’re on her again on 3rd July but I’m far more relaxed this time as I know my insurance is ok, hubby has now had his 2nd vaccination so doesn’t have to bother with a test within 72 hours prior to boarding etc. The only thing I’m trying to establish at this point is whether deck 9 will be in use as this is where our cabin is located. So far they haven’t been using it (someone posted they’re keeping it empty so it can be used for quarantine purposes in the case of a Covid outbreak 😳 but how accurate that is I’m not sure). We got moved from deck 9 on our first sailing a week before departure to deck 12 but the cabin was a bit too far aft. If it’s going to be closed again I’d prefer to choose a different cabin now while there’s still some availability in a decent position on higher decks.