Who cruises in January?

I just booked Harmony of the Seas leaving on January 2nd next year and I was just wondering... who sails in January? All of my cruises so far have been in the spring and summer, and the summer cruises are understandably kid-heavy. I’m not a hater - I’ve got a little one of my own, but I’m just curious if anyone has noticed if the demographic tilts one way or the other for a January/February cruise versus a May/June/July cruise.

I got the wrong idea from the title, I thought it was What cruises in January, Who in February,.....I don’t know

Eddie

PS... in February cruises, few children.  I would say less than 30 on both of our February cruises

I've been doing the first longer cruise of the year on Anthem of the Seas, lately combining it with an adjacent sailing for an even longer B2B from Cape Liberty, NJ. It gets a lot of regulars for that sailing time-of-year, too. It's getting to be something of a reunion every year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JasperCruiser said:

I just booked Harmony of the Seas leaving on January 2nd next year and I was just wondering... who sails in January? All of my cruises so far have been in the spring and summer, and the summer cruises are understandably kid-heavy. I’m not a hater - I’ve got a little one of my own, but I’m just curious if anyone has noticed if the demographic tilts one way or the other for a January/February cruise versus a May/June/July cruise.

You are still close to the holiday for kids and such but January/February is the best time to cruise imo. 

Much more relaxed crowd (seasoned cruisers) and much better weather unless you like extreme heat, humidity, hurricanes, sunburns, etc. Bahamas can be cooler in winter months though- think "cold" water. 

I do it yearly from Cape Liberty. I love the first 11 or 12 night cruise of the year. In NJ, you don't have to worry about heavy snow that early in the month. I've had Jan 2022 booked for about a year and a half, and just booked Jan 2023 3 days ago.It's cold the first and last day, but there's plenty to do inside. Temps in the Caribbean are just perfect.

• Like 1

We cruise every January over MLK week as it’s one less day of vacation time we have to deduct. I love it because the prices are generally good and there are far fewer kids on the sailings as the holidays have just finished up and people are back in school. 

2 hours ago, JasperCruiser said:

I'm on that sailing as well, doing a family cruise with my kids and some grandkids. The kids are not little though:  College, high school and then a 10 year old.  We shifted from this past January when that got canceled. We have 3 balcony cabins side by side on the hump and are getting more optimistic that this sailing will happen.  We haven't sailed in January before, but my one daughter and I did a mid-December cruise quite a few years back and it was definitely a little on the chilly side in the Bahamas, but toasty warm in Jamaica.  Not many kids onboard as it fell between the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, so it was a pretty quiet sailing.   

Edited by rockmom

5 hours ago, JasperCruiser said:

We will be getting on when you leave Jan 9 2022

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JasperCruiser said:

We love to cruise jan/feb.  It's our escape from winter cold and snowy weather.  We usually sail for 3 or 4 weeks this time of year.    The first week or so of january there will be children of all ages, then later in the month less children as they go back to school.   

We absolutely love the caribbean weather this time of year.  Not stinking hot like it can be in july/august.

You will love it!

• Like 1

January, after the new year cruises, has the best prices I've ever found.  It's the start of what they call the "Wave Season" which is the black Friday of cruising.  It has the added bonus of less passengers overall and less kiddos since they are back in school.  For people that live within driving distance to the ports, especially in Florida, this is an opportune time.  If you have to fly in, the only disadvantage is that flights and hotels are more expensive that time of year. 

I was going to caution those dates as a large organization cruises those weeks and has had some negative impact on other cruisers in the past. But it looks like they have switched to NCL for their January cruises next year so you should be good. 

We cruised last January (near the end of month) on Majesty out of New Orleans and there were not a lot of kids. 

Jan 2nd I expect will have more kids as it is at the end of the holiday for some.